Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 23:49   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 1,620 Times
Default Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

Hi everyone,

The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version!
Last October, a friend had gotten this swap done at KHT Motors in Bangalore.

That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes the engine run more silently (subjective to oil used).

Best of all it was procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

AFAIK The original ECU for India is part number 51890612 - 82KW. Code AM66.

The Euro Spec ECU is part number 51827274 - 88KW (viz 120BHP) + 193. (Its made in Germany).

IIRC he reported that it will have to come configured for the specific car from the factory, with the immobilizer code. The factory needs the cars' chassis number and key code for that. Its plug and play then.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd June 2015 at 23:59.
GrammarNazi is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 19:54   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi everyone,

The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version!
Last October, a friend had gotten this swap done at KHT Motors in Bangalore.

That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes the engine run more silently (subjective to oil used).

Best of all it was procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

Hope it helps.
Hi GrammerNazi,

Firstly thanks for this excellent info! Appreciate it.

Can you help me with more details on this as in:
1) Who was the contact person at KHT motors for this upgrade?
2) What is the change in the torque figures?
3) Was there any other impact of the change?
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 20:55   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

I would get this in a flash but the Fiat dealers in Dilli have no information on the same.

I will await more details to emerge and talk to the B'lore guys before taking it up again with the dealers here.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 21:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,251
Thanked: 10,509 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

This is certainly interesting, but I am wary about this. Why would FIAT want to sell the ECUs off the shelf for their existing customers?

From what I recall, there was a reason why the Euro Spec ECU was plonked into the TJet and not because the owner really wanted one?

Even though its a straight fit in terms of Plug & Play (as its the case with all the ECUs), I would say it would not be an easy task to buy one and then program one to pair it with your immobilizer system as only the ASC would normally do this for you - Typically when ECUs fail due to technical reasons, fry due to short circuits, drench due submerging etc.

Not to forget the fact that a majority of the owners who picked up the Tjet was for sheer driving fun and this news would mean almost all of them will visit the ASC & inquire about the sale of this Euro spec ECU.

GrammarNazi, If you can share some more information on this (ease of buying and the possibilities), it will really help a lot of us here.

I am again sure that someone who would pay 30,000 for a remap would always be happier to pay 20,000 for a new ECU that would do similar (Or even better) job than the remap.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2015 at 09:39. Reason: GrammarNazi (removing first name)
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 22:09   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,654
Thanked: 1,109 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

Hi GrammarNazi, would like to know the following.
1. Why was the ECU changed?
2. Have you seen or driven the car to know the actual difference?
3. What are the long term effects of this swap? Since you say the swap was done in October, what is the long term feedback?
4. Can anyone walk into a FASS and ask for this?
5. You already posted about this in October. Any specific reason to repost in a new thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/90735-fiat-linea-t-jet-test-drive-review-161.html#post3564162
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 22:45   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 1,620 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
Hi GrammerNazi,

Firstly thanks for this excellent info! Appreciate it.

Can you help me with more details on this as in:
1) Who was the contact person at KHT motors for this upgrade?
2) What is the change in the torque figures?
3) Was there any other impact of the change?
1) The KHT FIAT service team did it for a friend whose original ECU developed some snag after a Remap.

The new ECU took 48 hours to be shipped by FIAT.

2) Not sure of the change in torque figures. The power specs are as per the European ECU & it wasn't like there was any dyno test done.

3) Apparently, based on my friends initial observations, the mid range showed a dramatic improvement. In city traffic, 3rd gear pulled well right from 800RPM, making it feel almost like an automatic car!

Using a phone decibel meter app, he noted a reduction of 4-6 dB under various conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I would get this in a flash but the Fiat dealers in Dilli have no information on the same.

I will await more details to emerge and talk to the B'lore guys before taking it up again with the dealers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Even though its a straight fit in terms of Plug & Play (as its the case with all the ECUs), I would say it would not be an easy task to buy one and then program one to pair it with your immobilizer system as only the ASC would normally do this for you - Typically when ECUs fail due to technical reasons, fry due to short circuits, drench due submerging etc.

Not to forget the fact that a majority of the owners who picked up the Tjet was for sheer driving fun and this news would mean almost all of them will visit the ASC & inquire about the sale of this Euro spec ECU.

GrammarNazi, If you can share some more information on this (ease of buying and the possibilities), it will really help a lot of us here.

I am again sure that someone who would pay 30,000 for a remap would always be happier to pay 20,000 for a new ECU that would do similar (Or even better) job than the remap.
Sure, I feel these KHT guys are rather proactive. I guess more so since the owner wasn't worried about voiding FIAT warranty.

I guess 99rpm doesn't have it listed because it'll have to come configured for the individual car as I mentioned in the previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is certainly interesting, but I am wary about this. Why would FIAT want to sell the ECUs off the shelf for their existing customers?
Maybe the F.A.S.C offered the ECU since he didn't want to use FIAT warranty anyway.

Its prolly not actively offered by FIAT because of the fuel quality issues in India.

Quote:
From what I recall, there was a reason why the Euro Spec ECU was plonked into the TJet and not because the owner really wanted one?
Yep, his original ECU developed a snag after a Remap. His car started jerking & stalling with the Check Engine Light coming ON.

Although IIRC the original ECU was later rectified by the remapping professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Hi GrammarNazi, would like to know the following.
1. Why was the ECU changed?
2. Have you seen or driven the car to know the actual difference?
3. What are the long term effects of this swap? Since you say the swap was done in October, what is the long term feedback?
4. Can anyone walk into a FASS and ask for this?
5. You already posted about this in October. Any specific reason to repost in a new thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3564162 (Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review)
1) Answered above.

2) Nope. A known & well respected member shared the findings.

3) Will try to find out detailed review.

4) Maybe. He took his T-Jet into FASS on a RSA flatbed since his cars ECU malfunctioned on road.

5) Didn't share the part numbers & exact power ratings back then. Felt I should share the same atleast now since I'd broken the news. Please Note : I didn't start the thread anew, I'd shared a post on the Team-BHP Official T-Jet Review thread. A mod moved this thread separately, I guess so that it gets some visibility.

Rgds.

Edit : IIRC that friend used to be a member here. Can't remember the handle though.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2015 at 09:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 23:13   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 2,767 Times
Default re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

I only believe BHP numbers when dynoed. Please ask your friend to do a dyno run with stock ECU, then swap with the new ECU and try. The raw numbers might not make sense but the percentage difference between the two runs will matter. Race Dynamics/ Red rooster have a dyno in Bangalore and it is worth getting a dyno run for an objective/definite comparision!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 4th June 2015 at 23:14.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 12:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,726
Thanked: 89,197 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

As tempting as it seems, I have my doubts on an ECU swap for merely 20,000 bucks. The cost of an ECU is a lot more. It's impossible for Fiat or its dealer to sell a new Euro ECU for less than the cost of a remap . In the after-market, I'm seeing this ECU listed @ Euro 700 (Rs. 50,000 without shipping, customs & taxes).

Plus, I don't understand why the dealer would offer him a European ECU? It would require some local tuning to run on Indian petrol?

Can you put up pictures of the car & the invoice? Am closing this thread until this is received. My email address is in the signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes the engine run more silently (subjective to oil used).
Why wouldn't Fiat India offer this state of tune, if it offers more power as well as fuel economy?

I find it hard to believe that the engine runs more quietly too.

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2015 at 12:26.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 14:44   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,583 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet: European ECU swap - 120 BHP!

BHPian PatchyBoy says the following about his car being referenced here:
I ran that ECU for about 5000 kms. While it did give better performance in the city and improved the mileage, the highway mileage went for a toss and I could barely get 14 kmpl.

In the meantime, I was able to get my original ECU fixed and put it back on the car, remapped with switchable option for good measure. The car now runs at 140/150/160 HP, depending on the map selected. I was still able to get 21 kmpl on highway, with sedate driving.

This thread is full of misinformation. Was posted earlier too and I find no reason to repost in a separate thread after all these days, especially after I have swapped it back. Please do the needful.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2015 at 14:49.
Rehaan is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed KarthikK Long-Term Ownership Reviews 220 8th April 2015 00:19
Renaissance of my JET - White FIAT Linea T-Jet+ (27,000 Kms Up) Sathya_sc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 225 4th August 2014 20:29
Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet bnzjon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 12th May 2013 00:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:46.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks