Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th June 2015, 11:31   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Different cars = Different driving styles!

Awesome thread. Here's my case:

Gypsy King HT: Was a learner when I started driving this beast so there is not much to say about it. A good car with heavy clutch making it slightly difficult to drive in City. Have seen my dad drive through the roughest terrains of Coorg and ending up being the envy of our relatives with their hatches and the sedans!

i-Gen i20 Sportz (Petrol): She was a slouch. Migrating from Gypsy to i20 felt good because of the level of refinement and plethora of features in the later. The car could be easily driven in city and highways as well (probably because I never went past 100-110). The driving style opted in this was more on the sedate side as it loved being driven slowly. Now serving my dad.

Alto 800 vxi: This was the default choice when it came to city driving. Her tiny dimensions added to the ease of maneuvering through gaps. Surprisingly had enough grunt to have that quick round of spirited driving.
kp1992 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 12:58   #47
BHPian

Tata Indigo Petrol:
Yeah, I know - there aren't many of these around. Had this car earlier and it had a surprisingly good engine. Decent low end torque, didn't have to shift gears. But handled like a boat! Can't zip through traffic, can only dream about relaxing on highways because pot holes were it's worst enemy! So I used to floor this thing on straight smooth roads, but had to revert to a sedate driving style in curvy or bad roads. As it aged, the engine got worse and the car behaved as if all it's spark plugs weren't firing even though it was all fine.

Honda City iVTEC
Brilliant car, excellent handling - not good for high speed turns. Nice revvable engine. When on highways, mid-range torque is addictive and overtaking becomes a delight! Always love to floor it on an empty road. Parking and threading through traffic is not easy - hence always maintain lane discipline with this.

Hyundai Eon 1.0
My favorite of the lot! Peppy engine, which makes it a pocket rocket. Nice handling and love to whisk it around in my office's undergroud parking. Without A/C when I floor it, she just responds with a nice fruity note and some nice mid-range torque. However, not very responsive in low-range which means more down-shifting. But her light weight and small dimensions mean - she handles just about alright - and I always zip her through traffic and parking is a breeze. Even took her on a 1000 km road trip, and she just ate up those miles without any complaints!
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 14:11   #48
BHPian

I think there is a speciality about my cars in possession, that they are different in all aspects. From steering system to fuel type or to size..
They are M 800, our old family workhorse and Innova.

Innova is the first car bought by me. It is being used only for long distance trips.In the last 3 years, we have been to many of the Indian states, barring the NE region. It is being bought for the above purpose only.If you are travelling for long distances, it is better to have a bigger car, as it can be used for extra storage place, and even can be used for resting places for the kids.

M800 is old, nearing 11 years in service. Thought of upgrading to a new gen hatchback, but it is very painful to leave this smart car. I have to admit, that driving M800 gives me better confidence, may be because of the manual steering system. I am really fond of that road feeling given by this small car.

My driving style for both the cars are more or less same, sedate style (my perception). But slightly more aggressive with 800.

Last edited by bbhavan : 19th June 2015 at 14:15.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 17:11   #49
BHPian

Premier Padmini (Sold) I learnt driving on this Fiat of my father and it was such a fantastic car to Drive. More comfortable than many sedans today with spring cushion Sofa seats in front and back. The truly amazing Hand Gear were a delight. I still regret to sell the gem of the car. The sound it made in first gear while picking up was truly distinct. Water cooled Engine required the frequently fill water in the radiator, check break fuild, tighten the screws of the loose AitFilter, all used to be my job as a kid before we headed for any journey. Cant complete without the mention of unlimited space, be it the boot or inside. so many of me n cousins have taken drives in it, all packed inside.

Maruti Suzuki WagonR Brought in WagonR to make it a primary vehicle while the padmini was aging and it still does the job very well. One of the finest cars from MS which does the city job to perfection. WagonR has already been quoted n number of times so i will not brag much about it.

Ford Figo TdSi (T) My top end Figo is the car i am in love it and probably i love Ford blindly to most of the cars available in the similar segments. The most practical and drivers car is The Figo. Only those who drive it around specially on Highways can understand what i want to mention. One can drive the car tirelessly for hours and it would go on and on. I drove 800 kms straight on NH3 once in my Figo and Next in a Verna, and take my word, Figo is much more fun to drive on Higways, Verna definitely having a bigger engine can take you to higher speed levels, but it does not generate the same confidence.

Mahindra Armada & Commandar My father was a senior govt official and we always had these Jeeps at our doorsteps with drivers. Mahindra Armada & Commander were like big black horses with unlimited power and torque. The typical knocking sound of the Mahindra Diesel engine and the raw drive of these vehicles have left an forever impression in my memory, I could not drive them for a longer periods as they were occupied with my dads duties.
ashishmathur14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 20:06   #50
BHPian

Interesting thread and we can know about most cars here in one thread. Thanks for starting such a nice thread

I started off learning to drive cars in Fiat 1989 at my home in 1996 which Dad bought as the first car. I still remember taking it for a drive without any learning experience. I learnt driving the car without a driving license. Thus my driving started without any license. Got my license a year later. This car was and is very much fun to drive, my personal Favorite, it has ease of driving and any new person can easily drive this car. It had a very different feel to it, simple mechanical Fiat, the most trusted one and most reliable. I would drive this car mostly with family and driving had to be sedate. At times, when I had the opportunity, I would drive it spiritedly but always wanted to keep the car safe at all times. pushing this car till 90-100 was good fun. Best part was the hand gear behind the steering wheel and the ease of driving a Fiat. I still would love to own one and keep it for life. I have very fond memories of this car though we couldn't keep it more than 2 years. This car always get you in a happy mode as far as I experienced.

Then drove Ambassador ( Petrol and Diesel later, grandpa's car at home ) both heavy duty as that was the only car at home and used to be meant for almost everything. But that car was good to drive though heavy, hand gear(petrol car) and floor gear(diesel) were good and the fun of abundant space everywhere. Very tiring to drive in city though, I used to drive it mostly with grandpa and uncle with me so couldn't actually drive her faster to see how much fun it could have been. But night is when you would know the pains in your arms and legs with that heavy car during the day. I remember going for a one day trip with 11 guys during my college days in a friend's Ambassador with Isuzu engine. What a trip and what a drive. Amby cannot be a rashly driven car because of it weak brakes and a heavy car, a good workhorse I must say, not for spirited youngsters.

Then drove the Fiat 118NE, Ford 1.3 Ikon and Chevrolet magnum and the I20 at home. Excepting Ikon I didn't like the others. Ikon had a very good drive feel though I didn't like Ford cars so much. Ikon gets one into sports mode easily. I20 was the most boring of all, somehow Hyundai doesn't impress me for its own reasons. It used to be a boring drive if I had to drive the i20.

My first car was a 2013 Ritz ZXI, the best Hatchback so far from Maruti. Very comfortable and most ergonomic, worth every penny. I find it more comfortable than the swift. I liked driving this car mainly because of its peppy engine and ease of driving to drive, best NVH, loads of headroom and legroom, easy ingress and egress and ergonomics. Its definitely a different looking car. Unlike many, I liked the European style tail lights, its different and has high visibility on highways compared to other cars.

I enjoyed driving this Ritz in every sense, it had that rare, drive me anyway you like, I wouldn't mind attitude. I used to drive her sedately in traffic and at times I used to drive it spiritedly when the road and traffic permits, and man this car brings a smile on your face and doesnt fret at anything. With its peppy engine eager to be pushed hard, low NVH, rev happy engine no matter how you drive and definitely satisfies one behind the wheel. Love every bit of driving this car.

Currently Own a Baleno 2007, this was always a desired car for me, after the Ritz, It very comfortable for City drive, has loads of low end torque, less gear changes and good ergonomics. Drive feel is excellent. Engine is very much peppy, powerful and fun to drive. This car always gets me into sports mode, I love every bit of it. I eagerly await a good stretch of road and push her to 5k rpm at times. whoever owns a Baleno knows this feeling of driving it spiritedly. Surprisingly despite spirited driving this car gives me a very good consumption of 11kmpl in city with 50% AC, the worst being 9kmpl in B2B traffic couple of times. Very good in headroom, legroom, space, comfort and boot. Loads of torque for city drive and also loads of power for a long drive. Baleno definitely brings a wide smile on my face whenever I drive it. This is my daily drive now. Though I have taken it for a long drive only once till now, I am always waiting for a chance to take this car on a long drive. Love every bit of driving experience with this car.

Of all the cars, Fiat, Ritz and Baleno stand out for me.

Last edited by Sunsh!nes : 19th June 2015 at 20:07. Reason: editing formats
Sunsh!nes is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 20:34   #51

Great thread!

M800: I learned driving on this car. Great small car, low tech, though it develops less power but still I think its a peppy engine. I simply loved it. Pure mechanical feedback, no electronics between the driver and the car. The steering is direct and precise, but on the flip side one could get a nice upper body work out while parking it. Been said that with its simple engineering and its bulletproof reliability it is serving us well. I must say that the lack of braking power limits its potential.

VW VENTO 1.6 tdi (Diesel Rocket):
The current workhorse. Its simply an Epitome of “Brut force”.
It gets out the small kid in me every time I sit behind the wheel and always leaves me with a smile on my face. Just floor the throttle and the torque wave shoves you back into the seat. It can scare the hell out of all the co passengers and even after doing all this, it still returns good FE. The sheer joy of driving always persuades me to take the longer route so that I can enjoy it a bit more. This beast helps me burst my stress.
With the suspension setup, set a bit on the harder side, this car was designed and built for fast driving.

Best part is that at 100 kmph the engine is at 2100 rpm (Right in the turbo zone) so overtaking takes just a tap on the accelerator and all the 103 horses pull you through.

It’s a great Mile muncher and can do 3 digit speed all day long. I had driven it for 11 hours straight and even after that my body was not complaining.
bhimani.mohak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 21:57   #52
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento TDI

This is the beater car of the house. Its used by dad to go to the office with the driver and its used for all the odd household and office shores. I hardly drive it but when I do, its absolutely amazing. The torque after 2500 revs is hard to describe in words. However good it may be on an open stretch, it is equally tiring to drive in traffic due to the heavy clutch.
So, generally take it out only at night to have some fun.

Ford Ecosport TDCi

This car is my baby. I use it to go to college almost everyday and am loving it. It doesn't have that surge of power that the Vento has but it has a very linear, smooth and refined acceleration. This car is perfect for the city. The clutch and steering is super light and easy to use. At the same time, when you throw it around a corner, the Ford DNA can truly be felt
However not too comfortable on the highway, so use it in the city only.
So, I drive it reasonably enthusiastically most of the time without revving her too much.

Mercedes-Benz C200 Kompressor

This is the weekend car of the house that is hardly used with the driver. We usually take it out when we go out at night or Sundays. The refinement levels of this car are sublime. Cant hear the engine, can't feel any speed, its just too quiet in the car which is very relaxing. Dad doesn't like driving fast, so its perfect for him. When I do drive it enthusiastically, it accelerates very well and the exhaust note from that supercharged engine is the best part of the car for me. This is also the highway car of the house as it makes triple digit speeds feel like cruising at 40.
So, this car is driven with a lot of love with a little bit of fun sometimes
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 02:06   #53
BHPian

Maruti Omni : Learnt to drive (and shift gears from passenger seat before that). Superb all-around visibility and smooth engine (back then) would belie its milk float pace

Indica V2 LXI (MPFI petrol): Yes! A rarity, with petrol pump attendants waving wildly to come over to the diesel dispenser, when stopped beside the petrol one! Had a wonderful revvy note every time it was cranked, distinct from the clattering diesel cousin. Petrol motor was quite non linear in response but had good thrust past 2500 rpm. Throaty exhaust was fun at higher revs, but the rubbery gear shift undermined its sporty pretensions. Saw 100 on the needle for the first time here

Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP Ambiente: Ah! First hand experience of tank like build and exquisite fit and finish. Extremely smooth vibe-free engine was by no means rapid, but slick shifting gearbox makes you want to change cogs. Big car ride if driven sedately and the engine had such linear response that it could only be driven sedately

Polo GT TSI : Everything the driver in you aspired for, with superb engine response and lighting quick DSG. Turbo motor with near zero lag (you miss the 'whoosh' you'd expect in a turbo) makes point and dart overtaking manoeuvres ridiculously easy. Gear box in 'kick-down' provides that extra surge at cruising speeds, I've never really used sport mode. Ghats call for tiptronic just to explore the entire rev range, a veritable boy's toy. Makes me forget the cost cutting in the 2014 VW vis-a-vis the 2008 Fabia
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 11:01   #54
BHPian

On the two Cars I own..

1. 2003 Santro Xing XP - It had been my city car, highway cruiser, vacation vehicle, all of that for seven long years, and it did all of that without missing a beat. Very peppy engine at low speeds with short gears meant that I could always use it to dart in and out of city traffic. I had , while on highways, great fun in pushing the car, and though the car had severe limitations because of the lack of power, still used to respond reasonably well. Wifey uses it for her work commute nowadays, and I get to drive her on weekends for local errands. Still brings a smile to my face. 120K+ on the ODO till date. The ODO has become a bit slow (!) so I dont now what the actual mileage is now.

2. 2010 i20 CRDi Magna . Approaching 70K on the ODO. Interestingly the way the diesel delivers the power and the fact that the car has much taller gears than the Santro meant that I automatically transition to a much more sedate driving mode in the city. I need to keep in the right gear, and for some reason the car contributed to improving my driving habits.. cant put the finger on how it happened. It really comes on its own on highways, and I have now done several delightful highway trips with this workhorse. Only grouse is the sorry suspension that doesnt do justice to the car. On uneven roads and unexpected humps, the car bounces around and loses composure.. So I usually am very careful with these while driving around country roads ( and even NH in Karnataka notorious for their humps)... But I love driving this car and getting it to unleash the turbo past 1800 rpm. Can overtake almost anything on highways once you know how to use the gears.. even in city, you can transform to Sports mode by driving in lower gears, and can drive like a boss. I rarely do that though..

Last edited by Bigzero : 20th June 2015 at 11:18.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 11:55   #55
BHPian

2 generations of cars (we bought two and sold them together and then again bought two together!)

Gen 1: SX4 and i10 --- SX4 was the one I used for my daily commute for everything - office, airport etc. I just did not like the i10 at all and it was used by my dad. Also, the SX4 gave a feeling of domination with the high seating although driving was not that much fun. The i10 was nicknamed bouncy and I used to sit in it only if going out partying at night and my wife or a driver would have to drive back. My wife just didn't like driving the SX4.

Gen 2: New Honda City V-MT iVtec and Swift Dzire petrol --- at home we took a conscious decision that officially the Honda would be "mine" and the Dzire would be dad's. Having said that, I have no reasons to complain. The usage is pretty much as above but the Honda is just amazing to drive. The engine note, ability to overtake on highways is just amazing. Having said that, the Dzire is also very good and I use it occasionally to go to the gym, shopping etc. I am enjoying both these cars a lot unlike the previous generation where I just HATED the i10 (I am never buying a Hyundai ever!).
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 12:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post

Currently Own a Baleno 2007, this was always a desired car for me, after the Ritz, It very comfortable for City drive, has loads of low end torque, less gear changes and good ergonomics. Drive feel is excellent. Engine is very much peppy, powerful and fun to drive. This car always gets me into sports mode, I love every bit of it. I eagerly await a good stretch of road and push her to 5k rpm at times. whoever owns a Baleno knows this feeling of driving it spiritedly. Surprisingly despite spirited driving this car gives me a very good consumption of 11kmpl in city with 50% AC, the worst being 9kmpl in B2B traffic couple of times. Very good in headroom, legroom, space, comfort and boot. Loads of torque for city drive and also loads of power for a long drive. Baleno definitely brings a wide smile on my face whenever I drive it. This is my daily drive now. Though I have taken it for a long drive only once till now, I am always waiting for a chance to take this car on a long drive. Love every bit of driving experience with this car.

Of all the cars, Fiat, Ritz and Baleno stand out for me.

The Baleno, its just the most underrated cars in maruti line up. Beaytuifully balanced chassis, and that G16 is a gem of an engine. No k series can compete with it. And i just love the stance. So elegant.

I recently bought a 2007 model, and i'm loving it
racerdabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 12:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdabba View Post

The Baleno, its just the most underrated cars in maruti line up. Beaytuifully balanced chassis, and that G16 is a gem of an engine. No k series can compete with it. And i just love the stance. So elegant.

I recently bought a 2007 model, and i'm loving it
You bet 👍. Its a wonderful which wasn't marketed well. Wish ABS and Airbags were there for this car. It fast light agile.
Please post an ownership thread. We would love to read your thread on your detailed ownership experience.

Happy and safe driving 😊
Sunsh!nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:12   #58
BHPian

Hey guys I have a basic question regarding this topic. I drive a Amaze petrol. I am very comfortable with it. Occasionally drive an Eon.

But next weekend I am planning to go on a road trip and I have booked a Tata Safari. I have never driven a SUV before. I am going to pick up the car and I will have to drive the first 40 kms by myself and pick up the others for the trip.

Is driving a SUV any different? I am aware that it is higher up the ground and it has almost double the power. Is it going to be a problem for me and I should change the booking to Honda City. We are going to be 5 people in the car but I am really looking forward to driving a SUV. But I want to enjoy the trip as well.
SwatiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Hey guys I have a basic question regarding this topic. I drive a Amaze petrol. I am very comfortable with it. Occasionally drive an Eon.

But next weekend I am planning to go on a road trip and I have booked a Tata Safari. I have never driven a SUV before. I am going to pick up the car and I will have to drive the first 40 kms by myself and pick up the others for the trip.

Is driving a SUV any different? I am aware that it is higher up the ground and it has almost double the power. Is it going to be a problem for me and I should change the booking to Honda City. We are going to be 5 people in the car but I am really looking forward to driving a SUV. But I want to enjoy the trip as well.
If you have never driven an SUV, it will surely feel and handle different. You may need to get used to it by being gentle on its steering and braking. You cannot throw it around like you can with a low slung car considering the high COG. But at the end of the day, its how quickly you adapt to the vehicle. Blending body-soul-vehicle. Its that simple. Have no qualms, and feel the pulse of the vehicle. You should do just fine. Good Luck!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 22:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post

In the not so distant past, i had migrated from a M800 to an Xylo overnight. I was very doubtful with me being able to gauge its dimensions, but the commanding view you get sitting upright gives you ample information. It wont be a problem, and you'll love the experience.
racerdabba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote