Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th December 2009, 21:50   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i don't have the latest price of original esteem bearing. but its 2006 price was rs.580/-
SirAlec, thats the price for just the bearing - pretty difficult to source , and the service manual recommends to change the bearing + hub assembly (even though its got a seperate part number!) - the service manual is full of such double standards e.g the service manual has details on how to perform a steering rack overhaul for the power steering model car - however it also mentions it is a "forbidden service"(whatever that means!) and should not be done !

the hub+bearing is SGP and made by NTN hence 5.5k , the same ones in NTN packaging however are available for 1.3K odd (well i bought them too !)
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 00:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Interesting...

IIRC, the shop I got it from also had NTN, but the price quoted was higher... something like Rs. 1,400. Again, visually, I could hardly make out any difference from the much lower priced NMBs. Issue is, I had no idea if the NTN marked bearings were genuine either, so was not keen on paying the higher price.

Now here is the funny part - I contacted what I thought was the NMB India office -

Sales offices - Minebea

I was asked to send pics. I have now been told that NMB definitely does not make any bearings in India, and they do not import auto bearings either. So he had no knowledge about where these have come from or if they are genuine. He said that its probable that it is some local maker misusing a Jap name or they are Chinese fakes. I don't think a local manufacturer would be able to make these kind of bearings... but I can't be sure. Anybody here with better knowledge about mechanical industry, who can comment on this? What is more, these hub bearings seem to be a pretty slow moving product, as told by shopkeepers and the MASS itself. In fact the supervisor told me they don't even keep it in stock, as it is very rarely required. Keeping such things in stock means the money on it is blocked for a long time, he said. It is ordered from Maruti only when actually required, which is rare. So would there even be sufficient incentive to duplicate such a product? Anyway, I have been told that they will get back to me after checking with their US offices.

Technologist, how are those NTNs you bought performing and where did you buy them from? How many km have you done on them? I presume they have not given you any cause for complaint?

Last edited by Raccoon : 9th December 2009 at 00:34.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 12:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
This price difference is nothing but pure daylight robbery.
Absolutely and this is not the only part. I changed my AC cooling coil for 4.8k at MASS. It costs 2.x k in the open market. They even tried to charge me 5.5k for a product marked MRP as 4.8k.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 12:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Absolutely and this is not the only part. I changed my AC cooling coil for 4.8k at MASS. It costs 2.x k in the open market. They even tried to charge me 5.5k for a product marked MRP as 4.8k.
John: I am not surprised at this. I have noticed that unless you have some personal rapport with the SA, you are taken for a ride.

Last edited by rr_zen : 9th December 2009 at 12:29.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 02:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

I was at my MASS the other day, and I found this small empty box (see pics) lying on the floor. It was very approx. 2 x 2 inches in size. Seeing the name NMB, I immediately picked it up. The box only has NMB and NMB Corporation printed on it. What seemed to be the part/bearing model seemed to be printed on one side. Absolutely nothing else! No company address, country of origin, date of manufacture, price, nothing!!

Name:  091209_1824.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  091209_1825.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  72.3 KB

At first I was very surprised that the MASS would stock something like this. But I was told that they don't... a customer had got it there to get it fixed. When I probed more, I was told that such products are probably sold in the market by vendors who supply to OEMS. The same vendors sell this stuff in the open market by misusing names of bigger companies. And it is likely that these are from Delhi and around.

If it is vendors selling this stuff then I'm guessing that these products in illegal packing is possibly stuff that OEMs have rejected.

Now I'm really scared - the bearings I have bought are likely to be from the same sources.

This is really scary... more so because you just cannot visually tell the difference between the (apparently) original NTN bearings that were removed from my car and the (apparently) fake bearings that are now in my car.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nothing much can be done now, just use it till failure and replace with better ones when they fail, should last till next monsoon atleast.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, I know. For all I know, they may even last a decent interval. The wheels rotated freely when I checked on the ramp; and there is no noise from the bearings (Forgot to check for play while it was on the ramp at the MASS... but if there is play, I guess it will make noise). So far so good. Just mentioning this in case others here have similar concerns now or in future.

But if they last only about a year, then they are definitely not a good option.

Will be keeping an eye on them. I can only hope they don't disintegrate or something when I'm doing 100+ speeds... lol!

@Technologist, can you tell us where you bought your NTNs from? Are you sure they are genuine??

Last edited by Raccoon : 11th December 2009 at 12:03.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:54   #53
BHPian

I guess i also need to change my rear wheel bearing. Odo 25K and it's a baleno. However i ahd one accident and car rotated 360 degree turn 3 times.
MASS suspects to check bearing, however they said even if i drive another 10K KM without changing bearing it should be OK.

My question is is it advisable to drive car with a damaged wheel bearing for 10K, will there be any side effect if i do this. I also felt car is not that stable in high speed(>100KMPH), is it due to damaged bearing?
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 09:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I guess i also need to change my rear wheel bearing. Odo 25K and it's a baleno. However i ahd one accident and car rotated 360 degree turn 3 times.
MASS suspects to check bearing, however they said even if i drive another 10K KM without changing bearing it should be OK.

My question is is it advisable to drive car with a damaged wheel bearing for 10K, will there be any side effect if i do this. I also felt car is not that stable in high speed(>100KMPH), is it due to damaged bearing?

First of all how do they know you have a bearing damage? The two symptoms are:

Racing car like noise from the bearing

Wobbling wheels

And if damaged you can drive 10k is rubbish, no one can tell this particular part will last so long.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 21:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
First of all how do they know you have a bearing damage? The two symptoms are:

Racing car like noise from the bearing

Wobbling wheels

And if damaged you can drive 10k is rubbish, no one can tell this particular part will last so long.

Pramod
Thanks Pramod.
MASS advisor drove my car and he said he drove in one sparse trffic area and heard a distinct noise and it's not tyre noise. He said since i drove mostly during traffic hours, i did not notice that distinct noise.

What u think what'll be the problem if i continue driving with a damaged bearing.
Old 25th June 2010, 22:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks Pramod.
MASS advisor drove my car and he said he drove in one sparse trffic area and heard a distinct noise and it's not tyre noise. He said since i drove mostly during traffic hours, i did not notice that distinct noise.

What u think what'll be the problem if i continue driving with a damaged bearing.

Noise and nothing else, 30k kms looks too early to fail, my lancer bearings are still holding great at 130k (touchwood)

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 22:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pramod.

My friend replaced his zen bearing when sound could be heard clearly, on taking the old bearing out and cleaning with petrol there was one or two very fine pits found on the circular track where balls roll and hence making that racing car like noise. Rest bearing looks fine and does not have any kind of play in it.

If sound is very less not heard clearly then you can drive and change it as it starts making more noise. If it does make audible noise then do change it immediately.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 00:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Noise and nothing else, 30k kms looks too early to fail, my lancer bearings are still holding great at 130k (touchwood)

Pramod
I did mention car met with an high speed accident with 3 , 360 degree turn.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I did mention car met with an high speed accident with 3 , 360 degree turn.
Yes - a more likely suspect for wobbling would be tyre/rim damage because of the accident. Was that ruled out first?
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 16:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even if there is a slight wobble, chances are that you may see accelerated tire wear. Also, since the car is unstable at higher speeds (and assuming its the bearing that is causing it), if I were you I'd get it changed pronto.