Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th December 2008, 19:27   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Lovely thread gbpscars.

BTW, the NHC master power window switch is directly imported from Thailand...I wonder why no localization!
More likely, it might be cheaper to import from Thailand than to make in India. An import does not necessarily mean higher cost. And if it's from Thailand, you're probably getting a better deal.
kalidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:29   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Old Honda City VTEC - Power window repair

One fine evening (this past sunday) on my way back home, the right side rear power window on my 2002 model Honda City 1.5 decided to call it a day and died half open. No amount of praying, cursing or serenading would make it budge. Tried closing the door hard a couple of times with the hope of shaking up a possible loose connection back to life but to no avail.

Finally decided to take it to the friendly neighbourhood Honda dealer here in Dehradun (Divine Honda) the next day where after a bit of checkup on my babe, the service advisor decided to frighten the living daylights out of me by telling me that the power window motor has gone kaput and a replacement would cost about INR 13 grands plus. The cause of death was unknown to the Honda blokes and explanations ranged from "sir carbon deposit ho gaya hoga" to "peeche ka window kam use hota hai na, isiliye kharaab ho gaya hoga" to the award winning "9 saal purani gaadi mein aisi cheezein hoti rehti hain".

Well, after looking at the poverty-induced expression on my face the friendly service advisor told me to try and check for the part in the spares market in Delhi and Meerut or get the motor inspected by an electrician incase he can revive the poor thing.

So off I went to Auto Performance in Dehradun where I was told that I can choose between an original Honda part for about 10k and a Korean/Chinese model for about 4k. Obviously the Korean would not carry a warranty along with it. In the evening when I went to the fellow to pay advance for the Korean one (dont ask me why), the visibly excited dude told me that he can get me a second hand (read poached from an accident vehicle) original OHC mechanism for 2.5k but with no warranty on the part.

After consulting with my Honda mechanic who preferred the 2nd hand original to the new Korean thanks to the tried and tested Denso motor at work in the original, I went today and got the 2nd hand original mechanism installed in the car . The window works fine now and I hope that 3 days of sleepless nights with a car parked with a half open window even with the monsoons approaching has paid off.
narula123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi @narula123,

13K for the rear power window motor on a Honda City...hmm and people say Skoda spares are expensive!!!

BTW, how about getting the faulty one inspected/repaired - just to have it as a backup and also to check if these things really need replacement or if we have guys here who can fix them.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi @narula123,

13K for the rear power window motor on a Honda City...hmm and people say Skoda spares are expensive!!!

BTW, how about getting the faulty one inspected/repaired - just to have it as a backup and also to check if these things really need replacement or if we have guys here who can fix them.
I had the same thought as you and thats why picked up the faulty mechanism from the garage after the swap. Plan to find an expert electrician who can probably fix the motor.
narula123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 18:45   #20
BHPian

My rear power window cable is broken, any thoughts on that? Apparently, the honda guys need to change the entire motor even of teh cable is broken - charges 15K
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 21:15   #21
BHPian

Red face Re: Old Honda City VTEC - Power window repair

my indigo pw cable was broken tata said whole assembly with motor needed to be replaced at more than 5000 so went to my roadside but trustworthy electrician and he fixed the cable for 750 bucks no problems scince ..... he had shown me the broken cable before replacing it and back when he fixed it ...going strong for 1 year now. A.S.S. will always tell to replace so in a older car out of warranty it is always better to try cheaper alternatives.
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 13:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
a very late update on this thread,... I did find some free-day to work on this,... and, my power window is working fine now.
all fit in place, there i move in luxury again,.. paying toll through my window
gbpscars - first of all good show! Great to know you could cock a snook at these mechanics!
I had been following this thread - and was curious what you would do.
I do hope you have documented the DIY with pictures - in which case please do upload.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote