Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th August 2006, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Post O2 Sensor help

Hi guys, need some help.

The wire going to my downdraft O2 sensor, (the exhaust one) has got tangled with my fan (dont ask how) and got cut.

Can I:

a: stip the wire and join it again?
b: if not, how much will i get a new one for (Zen).

thanks
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 12:16   #2
BHPian

You can strip the wire and join it assuming you have enough slack in the wire... use some "Self Amalgating Tape" (not standard insulating tape) over the joint for a perfect seal. Alternatively, if you can get a new bit of wire crimped with a plug to fit the O2 sensor, that would be better because the joint can be located in a more convenient, higher and drier place.

I dont think the wire is permanently fixed to the O2 sensor (it isn't on my Esteem), so replacing the sensor (it is expensive) just for the wire is unnecessary. Also, replacing the entire wiring harness for a single wire break is overkill... all this assuming the O2 sensor and the wiring harness are otherwise healthy.

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 12:21   #3
DRC
BHPian

I do agree with Turbo C, repair should work just as well.

Do not use regular insulation tape. The glue will not work in the engine bay environment, instead use something called Heat shrink tubes, easily available in electronic stores. I also recomment, instead of twisting the wore to make contacts, please solder them properly, after inserting the heat shrink tubes. then use the hot air/ solder iron to shrink the tube tight. Should work as new.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 12:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can strip the wire and join it... you dont need to purchase a new one, however take care to secure the wire so that the damage does not happen again.

PS: Please reset your ecu once you have reconnected the wire, all you need to do is to disconnect you battery for 15 mins
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 15:42   #5
BHPian

thanks! will try the lot.
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote