Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd March 2004, 04:10   #1
RJK
Senior - BHPian

hi guys...

I've noticed that my indica which has done about 45000kms as of now has increased its idling speed on its own...it had happened once b4 when i got it rectified & set it low (for avg purposes) but again of late i saw that it has increased on its own ! * *i fail to understand this...but once the AC has been switched on idling speed becomes less...also would it be advisable to clean the injectors now since the car has run so much as advised by someone in the earlier post ? Also another weird problem that I face is that when I press the accelerator there's not much response but when i'm leaving it i.e taking my foot off the accelerator there is better response??makes me really wonder how drivers can screw the car !

looking forward to your response..

M3
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2004, 10:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If your idling speed is fast, but when you switch off the a/c it comes back to normal, the problem could be a faulty FICD of your aircon. This unit increases the engine rpm when the a/c is switched on and puts it back to normal when the a/c is turned off.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2004, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude, that happens in my Vtec too, right from the begining. Usually the Vtec idles at 1200 rpm but the moment i switch on the A/C it comes down to 900-1000rpm.

Same thing with the Wagon R too.

Guess it's got something to do with the onboard chip.

BTW, is you Indica a petrol or diesel? I dunno about diesel cars but petrol MPFi cars are known for this. That's one of the reason why they recommend that you don't rev the engine while starting. The chip does the revving for you.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2004, 14:03   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

happens in my qualis too. idling comes down when a/c is put on.

BTW If you listen very carefully, the idling also comes down when you switch on the headlight. there is very little variation in the idling. U can notice that by the sound of the engine when the lights are put on.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2004, 21:58   #5
BHPian

If you switch on your AC , in any Car the Idle RPM will drop as AC ..........means Compressor load on the engine . And drop in engine RPM when you switch on the headlight is little strange and .reason !!!!!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2004, 23:02   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

sorry the idling increases when the headlight is switched on.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 08:35   #7
BHPian

I think there is no relation between Headlight and Engine Idling speed ! It is strange .
Old 25th March 2004, 09:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

RJ, its quite possible that your car engine has just opened up a bit,,and hence its running with less friction...and hence it has begun to idle a little faster (even though the same amount of diesel is going in -(but just more times per minute)). The AC altering the speed of the engine is normal...sometimes it slows the engine down because of the additional load of the compressor, and sometimes switching on the AC increases the idling because it also tells the car to rev higher because of the extra load of the AC. Basically, switching on the AC in any car causes a bit more fuel to get to the engine, whether the car actually revs faster or slower depends on just how much extra fuel is put in!
I didnt get what u meant by " Also another weird problem that I face is that when I press the accelerator there's not much response but when i'm leaving it i.e taking my foot off the accelerator there is better response??"
I guess you could just go for a tune-up to the dealer if you havent done one in some time.....

V12, your right about if u switch on the headlight there is a SLIGHT (almost unnoticeable) change in the idling sometimes. It would be slightly more noticeable if the battery was cold and hence putting out less power.....and/or bad battery/alternator/wiring.
V12-"sorry the idling increases when the headlight is switched on".....that is just strange!!!!!

Toyota, there is a relation between the headlights and idling....which is the electricals.... i agree with you that it should not make much of a difference...but keep in mind the headlights suck up a good 8-15amps (hence less voltage going to the coil and onwards to the spark plugs). Its one of those strange relations...but i personally believe it exists. And its a VERY MINOR one if at all...so dont think you will get more power with ur headlights off! (shan2nu i know u are considering the possibility ;-P

A strange thing that used to happen in my 123 is when the horn was pressed the car lost so much steam that it was almost like engine breaking!!!

cheers
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 10:07   #9
BHPian

I accept that the headlamps tale that much of voltage but the point that it affect the to the coil and to the sparkplug and so the RPM falls down is ............still ............!!!!! Let m check bcoz , in any standard system the voltage for the Sparkplugs should not be affected in any condition .
Old 25th March 2004, 13:52   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Usually the Vtec idles at 1200 rpm
Shantanu, 1200 rpm is too high an idle speed without the air-conditioner. Unless you are talking about the first start in the morning where mpfi cars will run a little higher till they warm up.

My Vtec and C Class idle at around 800 rpm - OR LESS - while idling without the air-con.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 14:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i was talking about the first start early in the morning. Once the engine is warmed up it comes down to 700-800 rpm.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2004, 02:00   #12

the prob can be due to faulty ac relay,and u can set idling urself manually at home
anshumanbishnoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:00   #13
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your views on this thred, today i noticed the idle speed of my car and find out its 800. I was in perception that its too much but after knowing the facts...i have peace in my mind. I thing i must say....every issue has been discussed in team-bhp....its the google for car owners....
amitabh_kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yeah even my vtec idles at around 700rpms...but the first start for the day,specially on a slightly cold day, it goes to asmuch as 1200-1300rpm...but I have had a talk with Dakshin Honda and learnt it is pretty normal.huh!!! Regarding the dip in rpm during headlamp turn on is only when the car is static and not when its moving...The funniest thing I have noticed is in my alto when I play bassy numbers...each time my sub woofer(xplod 1200 watts) thomps the car slows down marginally!!!heheheee...So its like the musical revving like musical fountains Each time I louden the music, every bass beat makes me feel im stepping on the brake pedal or releasing the gas pedal...

Last edited by The Wolf : 22nd September 2005 at 19:59.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 23:23   #15
SLK
Senior - BHPian

True... about the headlights...
not just the head lights but also the radiator fan..
and also the a/c blower
even the side indicators

if you have the feel for it its very much noticeable in any car.

and the reason apart from what Rehan pointed out is ... more load on the alternator which is again running on the engine.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote