Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th August 2006, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Question Baleno - Pinging noise after the car's started

Guys,

We have a baleno which of late (5 months approx) has begun to emit a pinging noise (like a tappet) when the car's just started in the morning. It persists for a few seconds, and when the car's warmed up, it disappears.

We brought it to the notice of Bimal (service center) and they said that it requires some adjustment and/or lubrication.

We noticed that the sound's become louder now and these guys havent been able to rectify it.

Baleno owners/gurus - let me know if you've faced a similar problem and how you rectified it.
TIA

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 14:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
We brought it to the notice of Bimal (service center) and they said that it requires some adjustment and/or lubrication.
Your first mistake was to buy from Bimal. The second mistake was to take your car to Bimal service station. Those folks generally don't know much about cars.

Don't worry, I have done the same mistakes with my Baleno. My car FE dropped by 2 Kmph after second service at Bimal, and they had no idea what to do and how they did it. I switched to Mandovi and had much much better experience. I suggest you do the same.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Thanks Samurai, this is something I've mentioned to my unc (it's his car) for a couple of months now. Which is why I specifically mentioned Bimal here.

Coming back to the problem, has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what it is and what the solution could be?

Superavi
Old 30th August 2006, 16:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi
Thanks Samurai, this is something I've mentioned to my unc (it's his car) for a couple of months now. Which is why I specifically mentioned Bimal here.

Coming back to the problem, has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what it is and what the solution could be?

Superavi
I think, its gotto to do with not enough lubrication or oil somewhere (could be tappets) and after the engine warms up and oil being circulated properly the sound dies off.

Try this...

Take the car for a spin for few KMs. Check for the same sound when the car is cranked after being parked for an hour or so.

Is it that the sound comes only in the morning?

Ciao
Samy
urdudesamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most cars sound harsh when they're started after a long interval. I guess the engine needs a lil warming up.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 18:09   #6
BHPian

Would a car that's driven everyday sound harsh at the start of a new day? She's covered 36000 kms and is in very good condition otherwise.

Is there anything we need to be concerned about? Is this a common occurence?

Superavi
Old 30th August 2006, 18:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

It could have been that the tappet setting was set when the engine was hot leading to them having no clearance when the engine is cold as metals expand on heating and contract on cooling.Hence the sound when the car is cool and the sound goes off when it warms up.This will lead to premature wear of the tappets.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 19:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

If I remember correctly, tappet setting should be done when the engine is completely cool. The mandovi guy let the car cool for a day in the shop before he adjusted my Baleno's tappet.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 19:41   #9
BHPian

Default Will try out this solution

Thanks Humyum and Samurai,

Will check out the tappet setting at Mandovi.

Thanks folks, will keep you updated.

Superavi
Old 31st August 2006, 17:42   #10

@superavi
Are you sure it is the tappet noise. At times this is due to generator belt. When the car is started a shreeking sound is heard and when it is revved up, the sound is gone. It is due to the battery weakness which is unable to move the generator belt alongwith the starter of engine at full speed. I am not 100% sure but also get your car battery checked for gravity, etc.
bkahive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 18:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahive
@superavi
Are you sure it is the tappet noise. At times this is due to generator belt. When the car is started a shreeking sound is heard and when it is revved up, the sound is gone. It is due to the battery weakness which is unable to move the generator belt alongwith the starter of engine at full speed. I am not 100% sure but also get your car battery checked for gravity, etc.
I agree with you on the alternator belt, but that has nothing to do with battery, the noise occurs from the belt , when it is bone dry, a few drops of brake fluid will make the problem go away
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 18:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

pinging as in metalic sound, just make sure its just not the silencer pipes expanding under heat, this you will hear when u park the car after a run also.. usually happens in new cars, just make sure before u go on tappet, pulley and all..

alluminium blocks and pipe parts give out tic tic sound while heating and coolin
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 14:03   #13
BHPian

@jaggu, prashant, bkHive,

There's no noise after the engine's gone cold. And it's certainly a cold start problem.

This will probably be addressed this weekend, or in the next few days. Will keep you posted.

Superavi

P.S. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 8th September 2006, 14:25   #14
BHPian

Hi, my first post here after a long time, almost a year now. Nice to be back and hopefully I will remain here now. Sometimes things take all your time for quite a long time and just dont let up. You know how it is.

I have the reverse problem of superavi. After I park my Baleno, once I am back after a drive of around 10kms or so (the distance between my office and home), I can hear a pinging sound from somewhere under the car. It is more a "tak tak" sound rather than a ping. The service guy over at Sagar told me it is the sound of the engine cooling off and it will usually disappear after the first few weeks, but it is more than a year now and it is still making that noise when I park it.

The car has done about 10000 kms in the last year and there is no other problem with it. Just this noise after I park. Any ideas? Is this normal?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 15:34   #15
Team-BHP Support

@stryker same sound as i mentioned and absolutely normal
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote