Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th July 2015, 15:23   #16
BHPian

Default re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

Thank u guys for all the suggestions about the possible cause of issue. I have made a note of it and would be discussing it with my service advisor. Meanwhile i have received a reply and a call from Tata Motors with my complaint registered copying the concerned person at the dealer.

The dealer has contacted me and an appointment has been fixed at 9 AM this Friday.
sandeep_vgl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

Sandeep,

Isn't there a clear pattern here on all threes occasions - lights flickering followed by engine dying? Has the battery being an issue soure been verified? Has the workshop ruled out faulty earthing to be an issue? Clearly this is a case of competency issue with tata workshop who are not able to pinpoint the source of the issue even after evidence being provided. Escalation is the need of the hour through writing to workshop management, Tata Management or through social media websites.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 17:47   #18
BHPian

Sandeep, I faced a similar issue with my Dicor. The problem was with the relay which had loose connections that randomly caused all electricals to start flickering while the vehicle was being driven. Have that checked. And hope you get back to driving and enjoying your safari soon.
param22k is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 09:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
I would not suggest you to file a case in consumer court. It's a waste of time. If you win the case in the consumer forum they would go in for an appeal and it's going to be a never ending process. Believe me I have gone through this. Our laws have lots of flaws & is not consumer friendly. The best way out is get your vehicle in running condition & sell it off & buy another hassle free vehicle.
You are spot on vdm and I for one absolutely. Going to the consumer court may not be a good idea. Refer this article published in today's TOI (Pune edition).
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...16072015004071

Quote:
A vehicle manufacturer cannot be held liable for deficient service rendered by its authorized dealer considering the basis of `principal-to-principal' transaction between the dealer and the buyer, the Pune district consumer disputes redressal forum has ruled.
Coincidentally in the above case too it is a TML dealer and a quite reputed one.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 09:29   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Looks like an electrical issue. Either with the wiring harness (rats maybe) or the alternator or may be the fuses/relays. Did you by any chance fit additional lights, camera, music system or some other accessory recently?

As someone mentioned, sometimes moronic pressure washing of the engine bay might let in water into the electricals and damage things. This the dealer will never admit to.

Either case, you would have got more serious attention had you not driven the car, but waited for TASS roadside assistance, and their tow truck/flat bed IMO. The flat bed would directly deliver your car at the nearest service station as a vehicle off road, this rings alarm bells in Tata and would have ensured a faster resolution.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 11:54   #21
BHPian

This is an LX model and came without a music sytem. The issue cropped up before i had installed the music system. It was only after my first visit to the service center to rectify this issue that i had installed the stereo.

There are other issues too that needs a mention here.

The very second week after delivery of the vehicle, during a light drizzle and with intermittent wiping switched on, the right wiper blade just went off flying from its arm. Luckily i switched off the wipers immediately which avoided any scratch on the windscreen. Fixed it the very next day.

The third week saw the left wiper blade coming loose and landed on the bonnet which created a minor sctatch. This was rectified the same day.

During my first service at 5000 Kms, as part of the service routine, wheel alignment was done. At almost 7000 Kms i noticed that the outer tread of both front tyre seems wearing off. I took it to the dealer to verify it and the vehicle was returned saying that there was a variation and it has been corrected.

The drive was normal with no signs of any alignment issue. Within the next 3000 kms at 10000 kms both outer treads of front tyres were worn out so quickly that it looked like slicks with a smooth finish. My mistake - i should have checked the tyres.

I knew that there was some error on the part of the dealer or the technician who did the alignment. I asked for a replacement and was notified that they would get back to me after a discussion with tata. The pictures of the tyre were provided to them.

And they came back to me after 2 or 3 months and too after many calls.
"Sir, you ran your vehicle without sufficient air in your front tyres which caused the wear. Nothing can be done" :O.
I check air pressure every two weeks. This was my routine for the past 10 years with previous vehicles.

Now what? i had no answers and did not want to argue. Tata was making a mockery of a customer like me.

Then comes the issue with the wiper motor. It stopped working and started making a gringing noise. Back to service center and the answer: "Sir the wiper motor has warranty for only 6 months and the warrant period is over and Tata is not liable for the replacement. It needs to be taken to TVS LUCAS service center and checked. It needs to be repaired. After waiting for 3 days and leaving the car at the service center and with no response, i asked them for a motor swap from their dealer owned safari which was done within half an hour. I am still running with that swapped motor with out any issues.

There was not a single instance where i had argued with them or raised my voice against anyone. But still the attitude of the dealer and company towards me makes me feel bad about the choice i had made.

Read articles about Mr Ratan Tata and team facing humiliation at Ford and then later buying out JLR from Ford as a sweet revenge and everyone applauding him.

Sorry Mr Tata, I don't feel like applauding you when you can do nothing for a customer like me who has been suffering for more than an year now. Provide me good service, provide me a solution, if not replace my vehicle and i will be one among the lot applauding you for your achievements.

A happy customer is your biggest achievement and others are secondary.

I have never made a bad statement about this vehicle to anyone who asks me about it because I know this is a one off case. I know there are numerous safari owners who are enjoying this beast.
sandeep_vgl is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 13:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to see that you have been handed out a lemon by Tata. From your descriptions that's what it seems to be. One of those monkeys that escape from their QC wing from time to time before being certified a monkey While it happens with others as well, the sickening regularity of such cases with Tata is worrisome at times.

Did you think of writing to chairman@tata.com? Mention all the incidences till date in your mail but do not go overboard with rhetorics though. You may get a more positive and eager response after that from the same set of people.

Last edited by Zappo : 16th July 2015 at 13:36.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 16:09   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please escalate the matter within Tata Motors. This thread has already caught their attention too. I hope that the problems are resolved soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
If in case you are adamant to retain it for the reasons you bought it for in the first place, collect all the documents pertaining to the fault & your communications with the company & their responses, go to a good consumer lawyer & prepare a case under consumer protection Law. Ask for compensation for the trauma & pain you were made to go through. The company should replace your vehicle with a new one.
Hold your horses, tiger! The dealer (and manufacturer) haven't shut the door on him yet. You can bet they will if he goes to the courts. First, try to solve the problem as much as you can with the dealer & Tata. Courts only as the last option - related thread.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 18:56   #24
BHPian

I know how you feel, recently I too had a bad experience (with manufacturer not service!) with my FIAT Punto 90HP. My 2 cents based on my experience, You have to get involved with the debugging of your car, I know it is not your job, but at the end, if you want to get the car fixed, then no one can be more responsible than you.

In my case, I constantly debugged the issue along with service personnel in their workshop and finally found that the issue is because of a silly reason, more can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ide-vents.html (Air-con: Center vents throwing out warmer air than side vents?).

What I understand is your car is behaving erratically without any caution!

There are 2 key RTOS systems in the car, 1. BCM (Body Control Module, responsible for authentication, lights, electronics mgmt and etc..) and 2. ECU (responsible for engine and other movable components in general). These 2 components, have to talk to each other for a successful operation of the car.

This could be start point for my debugging

1. Is your ECU Re-flashed ? (I believe this issue could not be because of ECU).
2. Did your service personnel ever talked about issue with BCM? I feel your issue is just there, why do I feel that way? "Lights Flashing", "Disabling wipers", "Engine Shuddering & Loss of power - Fault exchange by BCM and ECU".

So there's one way to test it, a complex one, you have to swap your ECU and BCM modules from another Safari Test car (You have to do if you have an Immobilizer) and drive it for some days, if you donot find an issue with the car then we have the culprit.

I can understand your feel, I was in the same shoes. Trust me, nothing will move if you sue TATA or send arrogant mails, take the issue into your hands. People near and dear were kicking me for buying a FIAT, I had even thought to sell it . But, I took the handle of the problem and solved it.

Hope my suggestions would help you.
90Horses is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 08:38   #25
BHPian

90Horses has provided very vital clue of checking the BCM in the above post. But before trying that option, I have a small suggestion for you which you should explore first.

There is an important relay in the system, called as "Main Relay". This relay controls the power supply to all electronics on the vehicle.

There are chances that this is faulty - sometimes dry solder or solder cracks get developed and then you have intermittent contact called relay chatter ! This relay chatter leads to the symptoms which you are experiencing.

It is a small component and should be easy to try out and should not cost much. You can buy it if the dealer is not willing to support and observe.

I am 99.99% confident that this will solve your electrical problem.

Last edited by Ravindra M : 17th July 2015 at 08:40. Reason: Spelling mistake
Ravindra M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:51   #26
BHPian

Default Update: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme

Here's the update:

Gave my Storme to the service center last Friday and got it back today. As suggested by many here i had informed them to check the alternator, wiring, relays etc.

Alternator, wiring, battery and other major electrical parts were verified and certified running perfectly.

Yesterday they took my permission to go for a test drive (i had to pay the fuel charges - Rs 1000/-) and came back after a 160 Km long drive. Unfortunately the issue never cropped up.

I had provided them the videos which were shared with technicians at TATA. As suggested by them, the dealer had replaced under warranty, a main relay which is housed inside the fuse box. They are 80% (donno how he came up with the calculation) sure that the relay could be the reason for this issue.

Would be going for another long drive this weekend and hope that the issue never comes up.
sandeep_vgl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Here's the update:

Gave my Storme to the service center last Friday and got it back today. As suggested by many here i had informed them to check the alternator, wiring, relays etc.

Alternator, wiring, battery and other major electrical parts were verified and certified running perfectly.

Yesterday they took my permission to go for a test drive (i had to pay the fuel charges - Rs 1000/-) and came back after a 160 Km long drive. Unfortunately the issue never cropped up.

I had provided them the videos which were shared with technicians at TATA. As suggested by them, the dealer had replaced under warranty, a main relay which is housed inside the fuse box. They are 80% (donno how he came up with the calculation) sure that the relay could be the reason for this issue.

Would be going for another long drive this weekend and hope that the issue never comes up.
Relay is a just an on/off switch, I think issue is more with electrical system of the car, there will be few relays in the car controlling various components like hvac, by the way which relay did he replace?

Did they check the BCM module?

Can you detail on what was the last operation on the car before this issue cropped up, like did it rain and etc.. ? I want to see the trend, may be we can get a clue there.
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 09:50   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Update: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
the dealer had replaced under warranty, a main relay which is housed inside the fuse box....
Replacing the main relay is 50% of the solution. For the remaining 50%, you also need to make sure that the wiring and connectors to the main relay are secure and the relay when seated is not loose. You also need to check the pins inside the connector of the harness are not corroded. There is a possibility of water ingress as mentioned in one of the earlier threads. Please get it checked thoroughly once again. Any local auto-electrician can do this.

Did you get back the earlier relay ? If you did, then some post-martem could be done. You can ask the auto-electrician to open it and see the PCB for any signs of cracked solder joints.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 22:31   #29
BHPian

Guys...here's another update.

I have been riding my storme for last two days after receiving it from the service center. Could not go for a long drive, hence could not confirm if the issue has been resolved.

But I have noticed a few other changes in the driving characteristics.

The vehicle feels more powerful now. Acceleration feels better and the turbo lag seems to have reduced. Its very evident. Today during rain, I noticed that the intermittent wiping interval has reduced drastically. It's now very short, probably somewhere between 2 - 3 secs!
sandeep_vgl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 00:33   #30
BHPian

How come change of relay did all of that to your car, Did they do any ecu remap or any software modifications? Wiping interval reduction looks to me like they have modified the bcm firmware.
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote