Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th July 2015, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

My Tata Safari Storme LX (pearl white) was purchased from Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum on March 6, 2014.
The vehicle was running properly till the first service.

The suffering began all of a sudden after that. There seems to be a very weird issue that crops up during travel. All electrical components behave in a weird manner with interior lighting, Headlights, tail lights flickering and all the warning lights illuminating. The engine suddenly dies with huge shudders and instantly comes back live again. Air conditioning would not work and the vehicle struggles to move forward with huger power loss.

The issue was reported with the service center and was looked up on by the technician. The vehicle was returned with the issue rectified but with no proper answer to why the issue occurred.

The same issue cropped up again during a travel of around 150 kms. With my family which includes two little kids (6 months each) I had to suffer all my journey back home without air conditioning under the scorching sun. The issue was notified again with the concerned authorities and vehicle was handed over to the service center. The vehicle was checked again and test driven by the service center and returned after 4 days, stating that the cause of the issue could not be identified and that all wiring and harnesses were checked and the vehicle seems to run properly.

I took delivery of the vehicle and the vehicle seems to be running properly. But the issue cropped up again with in another 2 months, this time with more severity. I was able to video record the incidents with lights flickering, warning lights illuminating and all the videos were handed over to the service center and the concerned people. Again with no proper answer to why the incident occurred, the issue was stated as rectified and the vehicle was handed over to me.

Four weeks back during another long travel of around 120 kms and with heavy rain, the issue cropped up again. The engine switches off with huge shudders and all lights started flickering with illuminated warning lights. To add to the woe, the wipers stopped working.

The AC compressor started making a huge grinding sound which was audible even with in the vehicle. A normal 3 hr journey turned into a nightmare. Concerned about the safety of my family, I had to hire a cab and transport them back home safely.

Without wipers, no proper headlights, and no AC and whole lot of mist on my windscreen and zero response from 24 hr roadside assistance, I had to suffer the whole day to bring back my car home. The 3 hrs journey took me 6 hrs to reach back home safely.

I had taken my vehicle to service center 5 times (as per my knowledge) to rectify this issue but with no proper identification of the issue or a proper resolution. Even the authorized personnel from TATA (as introduced to me) at the service center could not find a proper resolution.

A look into the service history of the vehicle at the service center would give an idea on the number of times the vehicle was taken there to rectify this issue. All personnel including the sales person, the technician, service advisor are aware of this issue.

A dream of owning a safari had turned into a nightmare for me. Not heeding to people who had asked me to purchase the Dusters, Terranos, Ecosports and not a safari has backfired.

I followed a dream to purchase this vehicle for me and my family with my hard earned money.

I am unwilling to take my vehicle back to the service center unless I get an reply from an authority at TATA who can provide me an insight into the accurate issue with the vehicle and a proper solution.

I sincerely hope, like i did for last one year, that TATA finds a resolution or replace my faulty Safari Storme.

I had sent a mail to customer care and is awaiting a reply from them.
Do i need to send it any other authority within Tata? Requesting help from you guys.

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 14th July 2015 at 17:45.
sandeep_vgl is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 17:59   #2
BHPian

Default re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

Shoddy service quality is to be blamed here as all the issues started post the first service.

Electrical issues can be related to faulty wiring, water in electrical systems or fuse related issue. If the services guy can't find the fault, they can look at replacing the wiring harness in warranty. Is you warranty for 2 years? If yes, act soon else the service guys will do all the R&D at your cost.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 18:01   #3
BHPian

I have 3 years + 1 year extended warranty.
sandeep_vgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 18:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is something wrong with the electrical circuit of the car indeed. I would suspect a rat bite - based on the descriptions in the opening post, but the service centre guys seem to have checked the wiring connections and have found everything to be right.

Two things I would do here -

- Take the car and get the wiring harness and fuse box checked completely for any rat bites or water ingress, and get it certified from them.

-Get a PCM re-flash after the circuit is thoroughly checked and verified.

If both these fail, leave the car at the service centre refusing to take delivery and write to Tata - to highlight the seriousness.

And when a car is under warranty, Tata ( usually any good OEM ) is bound to get any bugs or issues fixed at their cost to help us have a good ownership experience. And when the customer leaves a car there refusing to take delivery, the dealership is answerable to the Manufacturer on why the car has not been picked back.

Also, please post the video you had taken, to get a better idea of the condition.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 19:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Two thoughts at the moment. Writing just to the customer care may not be good enough. Escalate it. You have enough reasons to do so. To resolve a case Tata first needs to understand the issue at hand. My thought is that they are just throwing stones in the dark.

Do these please,
1> PM Tsk1979 and seek his advice on people to reach out to at the national level
2> Post the video of the issue manifestation that you recorded and let others have a look at it
3> Highlight the issue through social media (eg: TAMO FB page)
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 19:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
All electrical components behave in a weird manner with interior lighting, Headlights, tail lights flickering and all the warning lights illuminating. The engine suddenly dies with huge shudders and instantly comes back live again. Air conditioning would not work and the vehicle struggles to move forward with huger power loss.
Electrical components have always been the weakest link for Tata. I had faced a similar issue with our first of three Scorpios, but this was 80,000 kms on the odometer then.
We were in the middle of nowhere on a rural state highway. Fortunately the mechanical components were intact and we could crawl to a local garage where a senior mechanic replaced an electrical component commonly known as 'cut out', and also replaced both low beams headlight bulbs which had blown due to the malfunction.

Highly recommend you visit another service center in the vicinity to have the issue sorted.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 19:59   #7
AWD
BANNED

Its a behemoth filled with gremlins. Tata being Tata will remain a Tata at the end of the day. Best is to get rid of it & buy yourself & your family a trouble free vehicle which you deserve. There are many choices in the market now, this vehicle will keep on troubling on one account or the other. Get rid & buy yourself peace.

A trouble/niggle free vehicle is & should be the No.1 aim/requirement of both the Auto Company & the end consumer. Any shortcoming here cannot be tolerated in todays times.

P.S: If in case you are adamant to retain it for the reasons you bought it for in the first place, collect all the documents pertaining to the fault & your communications with the company & their responses, go to a good consumer lawyer & prepare a case under consumer protection Law. Ask for compensation for the trauma & pain you were made to go through. The company should replace your vehicle with a new one.

Last edited by AWD : 14th July 2015 at 20:02.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 20:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

my gut feeling is that during a routine water service, the engine bay was jet washed with high pressure and there was some moisture ingress into some ecu/board somewhere. And this dealer refuses to acknowledge their error and gives allclear without using common sense. Maybe some costly electronic components need to be replaced under warranty and they are hesitant to forward the claims as Tata will ask them to do it on their own since they didn't follow specified procedure.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 20:41   #9
vdm
BHPian

I would not suggest you to file a case in consumer court. It's a waste of time. If you win the case in the consumer forum they would go in for an appeal and it's going to be a never ending process. Believe me I have gone through this. Our laws have lots of flaws & is not consumer friendly. The best way out is get your vehicle in running condition & sell it off & buy another hassle free vehicle.
vdm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 13:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Tata Safari Storme LX (pearl white)..

.. I had sent a mail to customer care and is awaiting a reply from them.
Do i need to send it any other authority within Tata? Requesting help from you guys.
Hi buddy..

Being an ex TATA owner for more than a decade, I can very well understand your plight (had owned 3 TATAs in the past including a lemon )

My dream car too stands as Safari till date.. but now I dont have courage to put hard earned money at risk by buying a TATA product (Heck, I was sold on Manza before I bought Swift Dzire!!).

To put your things right.. drop a line at chairman@tata.com with allegations of you being cheated and see the magic.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cant help but notice that fate in buying new cars in not on your side Sandeep_vgl!!

Twice bitten and never shy!!

With the Celerio AMT and now with the Tata Safari.

It is painful to see that the Safari is behaving erratically and under no circumstances, the issues mentioned by you should be ignored.
  • Pls. speak to the Tata Corporate and show them the video recording of the electrical malfunctions.
  • Also, go to the popular social media sites and load your video on the You Tube.
  • When sending a mail to Tata, mention a link upload for them to see and quickly act.
  • Going to Consumer court will not help as corporates have a battery of lawyers on their rolls to counter such cases and also, the verdict will take decades.
  • Speak to Sr. and Distinguished TBhpians about contacts in the Tata hierarchy who will be able to help you.
  • Avoid the dealer interaction till a resolution to your satisfaction is reached. Dealers tend to manipulate records if they feel that the outcome is a result of their inadequacies,
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 14:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Electrical components have always been the weakest link for Tata. I had faced a similar issue with our first of three Scorpios,
In one sentence you said Electrical Components is weakest link of Tata & you had faced this is in Mahindra Scorpios? Aren't this is weakest link for Mahindra? Let's not generalize this problem to every vehicle of Tata. Even, I own Tata Safari and have no problem so far in 5 years and I know umpteen number of Safari owners who also do not have any such electrical problems.

Yes, there is problem with the above Safari Storme, which needs to be diagnosed properly and need escalation. Such problems are there not only in Tata but all brands and we can easily dig threads in team-bhp. Patience is required and I'm sure engineers from Tata will look into this Storme once formal escalation being made.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th July 2015 at 14:46.
anujmishra is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 14:21   #13
VKM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Its a behemoth filled with gremlins. Tata being Tata will remain a Tata at the end of the day. Best is to get rid of it & buy yourself & your family a trouble free vehicle which you deserve. There are many choices in the market now, this vehicle will keep on troubling on one account or the other. Get rid & buy yourself peace.

A trouble/niggle free vehicle is & should be the No.1 aim/requirement of both the Auto Company & the end consumer. Any shortcoming here cannot be tolerated in todays times.
+1 to that. I had a safari dicor and got rid of it within 3months of taking delivery. you never know what issue will crop up at what time, it was so unreliable that i had to practically visit their service center every other day. The huge space and the very chilling AC are the two positives i remember about it.
VKM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 14:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Requesting help from you guys.
If you haven't already done so, please reach out to forum member DHABHAR.BEHRAM. He might be able to help you with your problem.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 14:36   #15
BANNED

Quote:
All electrical components behave in a weird manner with interior lighting, Headlights, tail lights flickering and all the warning lights illuminating. The engine suddenly dies with huge shudders and instantly comes back live again. Air conditioning would not work and the vehicle struggles to move forward with huger power loss.
Sandeep get the Alternator checked and that should solve the problem and telling this because i had faced similar issue on my Dicor which had run 1.25Lacs Kms.
gowda79 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote