Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2004, 21:06   #1

Thumbs up

Hi Friends,
I am a final year engineering student from chennai. I have created a concept of automating the existing manual transmission into an automated or semi-automated one. I have done it using a gearbox coupled to an electric motor. I have designed the clutch and accelerators for putting it in use in cars. I have enough confidence that it is superior to the existing automatic transmissions. anyone who can help me in this regard please reply me.
wolfgangsiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th April 2004, 00:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey dude glad to have you here I myself drive an auto Zen . Would love to know more bout your concept

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 01:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Siva,
* Do explain your theory. You are using the same box but using driver motors to shift gears right. Now how is the clutch operating. Im sure ur are using an auto clutch method... but how have you tackled timing of the shift and clutch operation?. Do explain... its a great thing to try it out. Let me know we could work on something.
*Also how many seconds (ms) is it taking to engage gears. What kind of mechanism are you using for the shift. Electronically controlled shifts or Manual Paddle type shifts?

Cheers
Dom
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 04:52   #4
Sam
BHPian

Sounds really interesting. Do you have different configurations as to which engine speed (ie.revs) it changes? And I would like to know if u personally enjoy driving autos or manuals?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 05:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey man,

Sounds interesting. Im sure everyone would love to see diagrams etc if you have any....and dont mind sharing it at this point of time.

Cya
Rehaan.

REVV / GTO - move this to the "technical" section plz.
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2006, 13:25   #6
BHPian

Very interesting a project Wolf. I would wish you all the best for bettering the product, as the war of automatics is huge, semi-autos are also there in the market.
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:03   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Transmission

This could have been one hell of a trial, but nobody seems to have followed up the basic idea. What a shame...
refaircargo is offline   Reply With Quote