Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th March 2016, 21:56   #16
Post Re: Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?

Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Has anybody sourced Lithium grease here in India.
If anyone has procured please let us know the source.
I got a tube of lithium grease several years ago at a tire store (TyreStore (Chennai)) in Chennai, I'm guessing any high-end accessory store at your location that deals with imported products should be able to provide some.

Or, you could try online, industrybuying, for example, I've ordered from them before & had a pleasant experience (Tools for a DIYer).

Incidentally, the last time I took my K10 for a service, several months ago, I was informed that an annoying rattle I'd complained about was due to the caliper pin. I was also told that the pin wasn't available separately & that I would have to change the entire caliper. I thought it ridiculous at first but on checking the Parts-Catalog saw that it was indeed true, the front caliper was available as as assembly, however so was the pin & the little rubber boot over it - available as a set for ~ Rs.118 ! So it should be possible to just order the caliper pin set from MGP. One question though was why the pin gets "eroded" even though the caliper is just moving laterally on the pin. Nevertheless, given the simplicity of the pin, I guess it should be possible to get it turned out of higher grade steel on a lathe for longer life. Also, funny thing is that my 15-year old Alto ( ~100K Kms ) has never had this issue

Last edited by im_srini : 4th March 2016 at 22:08.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 22:20   #17
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Front Brake Caliper Pin for Hyundai i10?

If you are okay with spongy brakes then Teflon or brass sleeving is acceptable. If you want the tight feeling then you have to get the slightly oversized pin by about 0.1mm and then take it to the lathe along with your caliper assembly. They will sort it out in about 5 minutes.

The present day pins wear out faster because they are made of aluminum alloy to save weight, better heat transfer and non corrosive. I have in my car the Cruze, replaced the caliper pins with the pins from the TATA manza which are a straight fit except for the rubber boots.

Please note that it should be a tight fit when received from the lathe, something like twice as tight as the hinges of Olympus binoculars or the focus wheel of the Olympus microscope.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote