Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th August 2015, 18:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: At what point does the 'low fuel indicator' come on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
That reminds me of an old warning while learning to drive diesel cars... Never drive a diesel car on emergency/reserve because the engine TAKES IN air ("sucks in air") .... Causing an air lock or something to that effect... I had one such incidence in my old Indica.. The engine shuddered and kind of hiccuped.. I got scared and shut it off and asked an elder and he asked me ..are u driving in reserve and I said yes. He reprimanded me and got me to fill it up immediately . But then I restarted the cars smoothly and drove to the very near petrol pump and got it topped. Never to repeat this thing ?
So how correct is this warning ?
The problem with many older and even new diesel engine is indeed if you run the tank dry the fuel system will gulp in some air. Some of the systems can't get rid of the air themselves, which means you need to bleed or prime the system during starting. Some systems have a special little priming pump. It actually also happens with some petrol injection system as well. On some engines it can actually be quite a job to get all the air out.

So best not to run a tank dry, be it diesel of fuel for this reason alone and for some of the other reasons mentioned in other posts.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 19:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As per my understanding, when the fuel tank is near empty and when the nozzle latch is kept at 2 or 3 position, fuel flow is faster hence creating more vapors inside the tank and the fuel filter understanding it to reach the auto cut off point before the fuel actually being filled.

Hence keeping it at higher latch position means lesser quantity filled in. Am I thinking wrong?

Dont worry about fuel vaporizing, it doesn't, or at least not at any rate that you could measure due to filling. The only thing is if fuel spills over. You pay for the fuel that comes out of the nozzle, not for what ends up in your tank.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:01   #48
BHPian

Default Re: At what point does the 'low fuel indicator' come on?

I have 2 cars - Indica Xeta GVS in Kerala & Hyundai Accent Executive at Chennai. for both these cars, I have noticed that after the indicator comes on - it comes on and goes off after some time, and does so for about 2/ 3 times and then steadily glows after that. Not sure if this is a feature or the unevenness of the road/ parking floor which creates this strange behaviour.

Xeta (2006 Dec model) - after the indicator glows for the first time, I have driven for 30KMs max.
Accent (2009 April model) - after the indicator glows for the first time, I normally drive for ~65KMs (why this odd fig? - one way office to home is 16km, and I fill in 2 days). I have once driven for about 80 km and this was the max.

I have never stranded within this time in both these cars.
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote