Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your preference?
Touchscreen 38 17.35%
Buttons, knobs & switches 181 82.65%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st September 2015, 20:42   #61
Default Re: Touchscreen / Feather Touch Controls: Boon or Bane?

The best option would be a heads up display (HUD) which is on your windscreen coupled with buttons on the steering wheel as well as voice commands. In my former Toyota Prius, one has a digital display just at the bottom of the windscreen in the same place as the speedometer and when you touch a button on the steering, the same button cluster is electronically displayed on the heads up display. As you move your fingeres on the buttons, you can see them selected in the HUD as well. This makes it easier and safer. Of course you learn that the right hand side up and down is for the volume or temperature and then you can do it by touch in any case.

Touch screens are the way forward. One can do without adjusting the temperature for a minute while driving if the adjustement is hard to make. One can wait for a traffic signal or an empty stretch and then adjust it. Afterall people look at their speedometer quite often and they have to take their eyes off the road to do so. The trick is to do so just for a fraction of a second while looking at the road in your peripheral vision and to do so only when it is safe. We all do this hundreds of time an hour while driving as we need to constantly check our speed. The same applies to a quick adjustment on a touch screen. If the input needed is complicated, one can wait till one is stopped.
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 14:51   #62
Default Are touch screen systems hindrance to safe driving?

Hello All

My discussion is regarding the current trend of shift of in-car entertainment systems to touch screens. I personally feel that such touchscreens are making us lose attention on road while driving and how good a driver may be, he is getting his eyes off-road while driving to use the screen.

Talking from personal experience had been using an i20 for the past many years and over time had developed a sense of using the normal functions without even looking at the system controls. Have been driving a Creta now for the last few months and have many a times sensed that I have tried to locate the control while driving and for that have shifted my sight from the road to the scree.

The touch screens now have got multiple functions incorporated into them, all controlled by the same screen. without seeing the screen it gets rather difficult to use the features. On earlier systems all buttons were separate, had a tactile touch to them and without seeing them also u always knew how to use them in some time. to give a small example, Now even to select a preset FM station you have to see the system and that is what makes you lose attention on the road.

All around the net, that in times to come, all controls will be by the screen only(including the Climate Control) and my only take is that when we have no dedicated controls for separate functions, this might lead to people watching the touch screen rather than the road.

Once again, this is my personal opinion and might not be the case with all, just wanted to pen down my observation

Drive Safe
sids1811 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 03:45   #63
Default Re: Are touch screen systems hindrance to safe driving?

Most of them actually state that they're best accessed when the car is stationary, however new tech is on its way with Mercedes' latest voice commands in multiple languages. So touchless control will most likely be an ideal fix for this whole ordeal. However distractions are distractions and you'd rather have your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Cheers.
Kenneth Keymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 08:04   #64
Default Re: Are touch screen systems hindrance to safe driving?

It takes a fraction of a second to make a wrong judgement, especially at high speeds in highways, especially so in our chaotic roads where you have to constantly expect the unexpected, at every twist and turn. IMHO, touch screens are a needless distraction.

That is the reason why HUDs (Heads up displays), showing useful info including turn by turn navigation, speed etc, are getting increasingly popular and a must have accessory in higher end cars, while after market cost effective ones are available for other cars. Other innovations like gesture control, voice activated controls, are increasingly becoming smart and useful practicality now a days.
sumeet007 is offline   Reply With Quote