Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your preference?
Touchscreen 39 16.81%
Buttons, knobs & switches 193 83.19%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th November 2016, 18:55   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Touchscreen v/s Tactile Buttons on ICE HUs

I would say the combination of both is the best! A touchscreen HU with physical buttons for the most important and most often used functions is my ideal HU. Add to that steering mounted controls, and you have the optimal combination of display (for maps, other useful apps) and buttons.

I am using this android HU (picture below) in my SX4. This has physical buttons for power, volume, radio tuner, GPS (google maps configured to open with this button), and a few other things. Plus my steering controls work perfectly with this HU. With those, I get mode (source) selection, volume, next/prev track (these also work for next/prev preset radio station), mute buttons. That's enough hardware buttons for most of the normal scenarios.

And coming to the display/HU part itself, it enables a lot more functionality than any buttons-only HU can ever have. For example, you can see the Torque OBDII app running on my HU in the picture.

Touchscreen / Feather Touch Controls: Boon or Bane?-hu.jpg
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 19:33   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

A fourth option of - a bit of both - would have secured most votes IMHO. I personally like the ease of use of the physical knobs and buttons. When you press something; you know it, especially while driving.

But the touch screen systems are here because car companies want to offer the latest tech available. Reviewers complain that the interiors look dated etc if they dont see spaceship like tech in the center console. Also, often its the industry and the tech world that sets standards. A lot of us were happy texting on the older phones - pressing one button multiple times for one alphabet, and some of us got real good at it. But then came the qwertys and the smartphones and we moved on; lapping up whatever was the latest tech.
adidac369 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 09:44   #78
BHPian

I have always preferred a HU with dedicated tactile buttons for all the necessary operations. A touchscreen system is a huge distraction while we are driving. It might look cool, serve the additional purpose of a reverse camera screen, etc. but to use it if one has to take ones eye off the road, then it's a strict no-no for me.

My OE music system comes with tactile buttons and for me, it is very easy to use. Only when required, my left hand fiddles on the system facia to press the necessary buttons while my eyes are firmly set on the road. I remember the placement of the buttons and hence, I can 'blindly' fiddle with the system.

On the other hand, in my friend's Baleno, I have a real tough time pressing the right buttons, especially when the roads are not smooth. Mind you, I do this when I am in the passenger seat and yet, face the problem. While I am the one driving, I don't go beyond the Volume up-down and Track change buttons from the steering control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Similar thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...boon-bane.html (Touchscreen / Feather Touch Controls: Boon or Bane?)

Talking about the dependability, build and feel of button-based HU is like reminiscing about this -

Attachment 1573757

Button-based HUs will go the way of Nokia brick phone in a few years. There is no way they can compete with versatility and multi-functionality (reversing camera, TPMS, video display, park assist etc) of a touchscreen HU.
While using the phone, we can dedicate all our senses to the phone and hence, apart from the lack of feel, touch screen doesn't much of a problem. But if you are using the phone while driving, I would again go for a Nokia brick phone. I remember few years back, my friend was so used to the keypad, he could type any message of any length without looking at the screen of his old Sony Ericsson with tactile buttons. Today he uses an iPhone and needless to say, he has to look at the screen to perform any action. I hope you understand what I intend to say.

PS: My friend uses Siri quite a lot. Now that I think of it, something similar for our HU can help overcome some of the shortcomings of the touchscreen HUs. Mostly it will be expensive right now but few years from now, it can be available on all HUs (something like what Ford offers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I would say the combination of both is the best!
Yes that is the best case scenario. User should have dedicated buttons for all the basic necessary functions. For the extra bits, navigation, etc there is always the touchscreen. But in this case, there should be a button to lock the screen (like we have in our phones). This will ensure that while we operate the physical buttons, we don't accidentally press something on the screen.

My 2 cents.
ashis89 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 10:23   #79
BHPian

My car has a touchscreen with steering controls, so that is a life saver. All my operations are done from the steering controls only. Also, there is the voice control which also works pretty decently. I use the touch buttons only when the vehicle is at a stand still as otherwise I find it hugely distracting. Fortunately, almost all the frequently used controls are available in the steering control.

I must say, the touchscreen looks very cool though.

Mods: Probably another choice to the poll? Touchscreen with steering controls
arvind71181 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote