Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2015, 14:14   #136
BHPian

Default Re: How many KMs before clutch overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
My 2008 swift vdi had its first clutch plate replaced at 120000 Km , the second one was replaced after another 100000 Km last month. My drive is predominantly on the highway.
Just curious, is there a typo when you said '120000' and meant 12 thousand kms?
ameyawaghmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 12:05   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Really?! That was quite early IMO if you drive mostly on the highway. My 7.5yr old Swift (same engine as yours) which has run ~98K kms with almost 50% highway driving is still running on its original parts, both clutch & timing belt! Am not boasting anything, but I feel this is quite short time for clutch & timing belt overhaul! I guess the Fiat parts must be sturdier than Maruti! Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah even I had the same reservations since many of my friends have Swift Diesel and they are about to cross 1 lakh kms without having to go for clutch overhaul. But then these were the two main things I had to consider as well.

1. Swift (75BHP) and my FIAT-GP-90MJD(90BHP)
2. Kerb weight of Swift : 960 kg while FIAT-GP-90MJD : 1198kg
3. Others (to be filled by automobile experts in Team-BHP)

Although I had to shell out INR 35K, but it feels like I just got a new car for that price.The car literally feels just out of the showroom. The clutch pedal feels like knife in the butter and the gear shift is smooth and well what should I say about the FIAT diesel engine roar, I've fallen in love with my Fiat all over again.
srivatsahg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Just curious, is there a typo when you said '120000' and meant 12 thousand kms?
Apologise for the late response. I had no access to my computer for 10 days. There is no type I have done 2 Lakh 26 thousand Km as of today. 1Lakh 20 twenty thousand Km is correct.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 13:48   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Its Bose. But he would know me by my first name. I have been going to him for years across all the different cars I had and so does my friends. Its better to go on a weekday because on Saturdays there is huge rush.
Thank you for the reference. I finally got around to meeting him at the Darga rd MASS. In the meantime i had kept the car running by frequently adjusting the clutch cable tension, so as to minimize the slippage. Mr. Dilip Kar advised a clutch overhaul costing around 5-5.5K, which I think is a small price to pay for getting back the driving comfort I've sorely missed over the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Hello Guys I have a questions related to the gear shift issues that I'm facing with my Grande Punto MJD90 ever since it crossed 50K on the ODO.The technician at Vecto Motors Bangalore advised for the replacement of the entire CSC unit without even checking it or least driving the car.

I'm still apprehensive because sometimes the gear shift process is smooth when I start in the morning and it gets progressively harder by the day. Any suggestions ? Could this be occurring due to the worn out clutch unit or could this be something with the gear assembly ? By the way the odo now reads ~60K
This I think happens if there is a fair bit of drag between the clutch disc and the flywheel surface. Even with the clutch pedal fully depressed, the clutch disc does not fully separate from the flywheel surface. Consequently the cogs of the gearbox keep rotating, albeit very slowly, due to the rotational power still being transmitted from the engine via the dragging clutch. Thus the dog clutch, which is the business end of the gear lever, finds it difficult to mesh with a gear that is still in motion. Hope this answers the question...
DMajumdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 15:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

My cousin came visiting yesterday in his 2007 Honda Civic which still looks pristine. On looking at the odo i saw 162746 kms,
and the car has not gone through a clutch change yet.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 15:24   #141
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI stands at 165000 KMs. The clutch has never been changed.
I wonder how it has lasted 3 times a usual clutch lasts.

My driver does drive the car very gently, but its just astonishing.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 17:18   #142

My Innova D is now 10+ years and 1.15 lac kms on the original clutch. Its driven by me primarily and at times by my spouse. In the last few days I find that while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the gear does not engage properly and tends to slip. Is it to do with the clutch or the transmission? The clutch though is holding very well even now and there is no rubbery feel or anything of that sort. What could the issue be?
askanal is offline   Reply With Quote