Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th July 2006, 20:40   #46
BANNED

Hey Rtech & NC,

I think you guys should get rid of your cars asap while the resale value is still good and maybe switch to the petrol counter parts or some other car.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 22:05   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
No, not with the RS, the clutch issues are only with the 1.9TDi
my theory is that the high level of torque hits the clutch at lower engine speeds compared to a petrol hence early wear rate
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 22:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

If the clutches are so damn expensive would it be too much to ask for them to last longer?

The clutch on my accent which deals with 19.1 kgm of torque day-in and day-out has lasted me about 70000kms and costs in the range of rs.6-8k.

Skoda really needs to do something about the prices of their spares or the success that they are enjoying will be gone in no time. Word of mouth counts for a lot in our country.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 19th July 2006 at 22:42.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 10:32   #49
Team-BHP Support

The clutch on Ajmat's swift lasted 2000k's. Does that mean everyone should stop buying Swifts?

I've got 30,000 kilometers of a powerboxed, hard driven TDi, and my clutch is showing no signs of wear. And frankly I don't expect it to either atleast for another 50,000km's, by which time we would probably have sold it anyway. My old Astra ran 8 years and 80,000km's on the original clutch, and it was still as good as ever when we sold it.

Clutch wear is like fuel economy. It varies greatly based driving style. And then ofcourse you have a odd incident of a faulty part or fitment that leads to premature wear.

Quote:
perceived to be of solid build quality
There is nothing perceived about their build quality! I've had a pretty heavy accident in my car with not a scratch on any of us in the car. And the car was mechanically ok to drive after that as well. What you may have meant is reliability, which, on average cannot compete with the Japs for sure.

However, the one point I am totally with everyone here is the price of OE spares and dealer costs. In simple terms, it is pure daylight robbery! And their work itself is below average, as 9 times out of 10, you have to take your car back to the shop to sort out some niggling thing after a service.

I don't go to the Authorised service centers anymore after my warranty was over. Everything for the Skoda is available in the open market at half the cost, and I prefer giving the car to a private garage where I can trust the person working on it.

Quote:
Hey Rtech & NC,
I think you guys should get rid of your cars asap while the resale value is still good and maybe switch to the petrol counter parts or some other car.
No thanks! I'm very happy with my TDi. And if used car prices drop, I'll love to buy a used RS!

EDIT: ECM, 84K for just a clutch job? Your friend got ripped off for sure. Skoda are very strict on their dealers charges. There is no way one dealer can charge more than another and get away with it.

Last edited by Rtech : 20th July 2006 at 10:39.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well, reliability is part of build quality, not safety. Yes, the skoda and old astra were selling on basis more of safety, since jap cars known for tinny body (incl. my OHC).

Since launch of RS and then rider, I have been eyeing skoda. In fact I even initially recommended to my friend who bought diesel 1.9 and is ever since 2 years later regretting very much. As soon as warranty over - bam huge repair bills. How to prove anything? I was going to book it and asked my friend how is it running, I am also now going for petrol. He said terrible, total white elephant and told me his repair cost in 3rd year, I felt very bad. I still ask neighbour and others I know using and second one also lamented about huge bills and dealer acting fishy. Test drive RS also had lot of noise at rear, cracked leather, etc. So I cancelled and am waiting ever since. Corolla bit of average decent car, maybe now civic.

Clutch, yes is a matter of driving style, but even so, when it is costing 5-10x of most other cars, as are other parts, something is wrong. Even I suspect my Swift clutch was not adjusted properly at factory and therefore may have less life. I already complained to dealer at first/second service, seems ok now but if gives way early, have it on record. But since it may not be too expensive, am not really worried and sleep peacefully. But imagine if skoda and repair bills of regular 20k+ staring at you in face, then always taking restyl!! If parts are expensive then you have right to expect trouble free operation. You are good to have trusty private garage, many times it is difficult.

The other issue is of dealers, e.g. on my OHC, recently there was some coolant leakage, not visible at all. Simply consumed 1/2 litre every 2 weeks. Now dealer could have easily told me radiator, pump, hoses, etc. all to be replaced at cost of 15-20k. But no he said 2 parts costing total 1500 to be replaced. This he found after pressure testing. Now perfect since 2 months. How private garage going to do all this other than by trial and error and keeping car for 2 weeks? Most dealers will simply take customer for ride, but in skoda case becomes very expensive ride. I am not saying I have not gone to private garage (when repairs instead of major replacement is possible), but overall find good dealer (very rare and maybe I am lucky) preferred over private garage. Rarely have had to take car back to dealer for re-fix. Initially I always took test drive (padmini/bcma hangover), but after first few services, did not even bother, simply called them if I found something - accepted immediately. But I always check the job card details also before driving off.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 20th July 2006 at 11:14.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:32   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Default :-)

On the lighter side, pls check this thread, post #1:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ke-thread.html (The Official Joke thread)
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 18:39   #52
BHPian

Smile How many KMs before clutch overhaul

Hi,I have just completed 85000 kms in my SANTRO without any clutch repairs and it still seems good for another 15000 kms.It will be interesting to know the life cycle of clutch in different vehicles.
sans33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 19:05   #53
Team-BHP Support

Note from support team: Your post is for getting information and this is not the right section to put this up.

Thread merged in right section.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 13:50   #54
BHPian

Hi! I got my Santro's clutch overhauled at about 78000 kms (after 5 years). I guess, that's pretty good. I spent about 5,000 bucks for this.
omar1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 15:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have done 1,05,000 on my Sienna and its still going great ....no worries yet though I gotta say its got a heavy clutch action.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 15:37   #56
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33
Hi,I have just completed 85000 kms in my SANTRO without any clutch repairs and it still seems good for another 15000 kms.It will be interesting to know the life cycle of clutch in different vehicles.
Thats very good. Mine has completed 72,000 kms and will last probably another 3000-4000 kms. But I ll get it changed before that. BTW, 7 years old.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 19:42   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
Thats very good. Mine has completed 72,000 kms and will last probably another 3000-4000 kms. But I ll get it changed before that. BTW, 7 years old.
Hey,

If I am not mistaken did you not get your clutch changed a year or so ago. I remember you calling me regarding that.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 19:03   #58
BHPian

Is it clutch plates alone or the entire assembly?
My m800 clutch has become like a truck now...its time to replace....just 28000km.... yeah but its 3500 :-)
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 19:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm my OHC VTEC has done 115,000kms and is Still on the original clutch!! Going strong & I hope to sell the car without having to pay for a new clutch!!

Last edited by iraghava : 28th September 2006 at 19:26.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2006, 19:54   #60
BHPian

Mine (GTX) lasted for about 25 or 30k I guess. Nursed it around for another 7k and finally changed the clutch at 40k.

OHC still going strong after 2.5L plus!
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote