Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th October 2015, 18:04   #1

Question Engine Head Corrosion

Hello,

I have 2007 Indica Xeta GLX that has clocked about 95000 kilometers. All the servicing and maintenance done on a timely basis.

While driving from Pune to Mumbai, the cap of the engine coolant container gave in and entire coolant spilled. Before I could stop upon feeling the engine sluggish, the engine temp needle had already reached the H mark.

Stopped, allowed the engine to cool down, and got the car back to Pune and took it to mechanic. After putting some water in the coolant container, it made its way to the engine oil, so gasket was gone. To check other potential damages, he opened the engine head, and it was completely corroded from inside, resulting in stopping the free flow of the coolant coz it is not circulating properly. Per him it is so corroded from inside that it needs to be replaced. The cost is approx. 32000 rupees. I had recently observed engine heating up quickly compared to when the car was new.

What are my options? Is there a way to get the engine head properly cleaned and fit it back? I am in Pune.

P.S. - My car already has new hose pipes, coolant container, water pump. Radiator is not clogged as well.

Thank you!
VD
i_own_xeta_glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 22:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Engine Head Corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_own_xeta_glx View Post
..Per him it is so corroded from inside that it needs to be replaced. ...
VD
Please confirm if you have used coolant all through the vehicles life. If yes, there is no way there will be corrosion in 8 years.

Also, I have a feeling the petrol indica's engine head is made of Al alloy (not sure) if so, there i absolutely no chance of corrosion.

Please confirm.

- Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 23:00   #3
BHPian

The best option would be to source a used head from a totalled car. The head may have warped on overheating which may cause poor engine functioning even if it is used. It would be available for 5000 to 8000 bucks at most. Also check at 99rpm.com which deals in tata spares. You can know if the mechanic/dealer is taking you for a ride.
100kmph is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 23:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please confirm if you have used coolant all through the vehicles life. If yes, there is no way there will be corrosion in 8 years.

Also, I have a feeling the petrol indica's engine head is made of Al alloy (not sure) if so, there i absolutely no chance of corrosion.

Please confirm.

- Dhanush
Hi Dhanush, I suspect incorrect mix of coolant and water would have resulted in corrosion. I can confirm that the level was maintained properly but some mechanic saved money by putting more water and less coolant.

Let me try to get a picture of it. The mechanic was saying that it is completely clogged with rust from inside. If it is Aluminium alloy then you are right it won't rust.
Old 16th October 2015, 15:20   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Head Corrosion

Quote:
Per him it is so corroded from inside that it needs to be replaced. The cost is approx. 32000 rupees. I had recently observed engine heating up quickly compared to when the car was new.
Very very hard to understand. Corrosion of alloy is not a simple process. Either someone (in your absence) mistakenly poured acidic solution (highly possible since many people mistake battery acid solution to that of distilled water) or improper movement of coolant due to blockage in the pump which might have caused alloy to react in extreme condition.

Are you sure your mechanic is not trying to fleece you by showing something else ? Visit to a reputed garage might save you money.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 17:52   #6

Here are the pictures of the engine head and engine block.

The head is Aluminium and block is iron (or steel)

Couple of lines on the head are completely blocked per the mechanic.

Suspicion is the engine block will have similar blocking as well.

Please advise.

Visited the garage just now to see the blockage. Posting images. There is some substance that is pretty hard and chocking some of the holes. Could not get them open by pressing the key through it
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Head Corrosion-block.jpg  

Engine Head Corrosion-head.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th October 2015 at 18:20. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.
i_own_xeta_glx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 18:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Visited the garage just now to see the blockage. Posting images. There is some substance that is pretty hard and chocking some of the holes. Could not get them open by pressing the key through it
This is the result of using impure water and non standard coolant. Always, monitor what the FNG's put in your vehicle.

There are shops who work only on engine heads. Go to them, get this cleaned, and pressure tested. Also, since its an aluminium head, check for warp from overheating. If everthing is OK, you can use the same head, if everything else is in order.

In any case, 32000 for just a head is not worth it. If you look around, you will get an entire car for ~75000. So, if a head job isnt working, go to the scrap yard, and find a full unopened engine. Will only cost you ~10k.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
There are shops who work only on engine heads. Go to them, get this cleaned, and pressure tested. Also, since its an aluminium head, check for warp from overheating. If everthing is OK, you can use the same head, if everything else is in order.
The head is with a shop that works specially on engine heads. The guy is saying it can not be repaired.
Old 17th October 2015, 18:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cant you try unclogging by used pressurized water or chemical agents?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 17th October 2015 at 18:42.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote