Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th September 2006, 14:25   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
Technologist: It's not a new car, its already done around 12k Okay, its relatively new. However, the noise is annoying, it kills the overall refinement. I wouldnt want to drive around with it, if it can be fixed. And asking for a new gearbox will be too extreme, IMO. It might still happen with a new gearbox. MSM is supposed to be Maruti's own workshop; I'm hoping these guys do a good job of it.

do inform us ....after the overhauling....
speedofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 22:12   #17
BHPian

my swift has clocked almost 10k in 8 months just came back after the third service but havent had any such problem till yet!! that maybe cuz:-
1) i shift into 5th btw 55 - 60 kmph ( due to tall gearing ) it drives perfectly fine if u shift later
2) there are too many rattling sounds you cant do anything about that i just keep the volume up and enjoy the music!!
i guess rattling noises are the major concern that maruti should take up i mean i am yet to meet a swift owner who hasn't complained about that!!
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 12:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes, as Speed has said, once you shift into 5th at 55-60 or above, there is no whining noise, only if you shift at 45-50 or so.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 12:57   #19
BHPian

As I said before, I shift pretty late too. The noise is still there. Maybe itsa different problem with my car.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 13:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
As I said before, I shift pretty late too. The noise is still there. Maybe itsa different problem with my car.
i shift at around 60 ....under 70....this humm is very much noticeable........
speedofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 14:48   #21
BHPian

O.k guys.. this is a new take ... i got a swift too and 15k on the odo.. i have the same problem too... i tried it after reading this thread.. usually the music is loud an 2ndly.. no point in shifting up at 50 cos from then on throttle response is zero.... or is this a specific prob i have with my car... i was under the idea that its a typical japp screemer thats why theirs no power low down..
VANOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 17:05   #22
BHPian

Default Never experienced this...

I have Swift ZXI, 13 months old with 14.5K distance covered so far. Never experienced this issue. I generally shift to 5th at 50+. I tried to observe it closely after reading this thread, but, I did not find any issue.
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 15:00   #23
BHPian

to ravibhat,
i have the same problem in my swift vxi, 5 moths old and it has done only 2500kms. With the head light off, it show correct, trip 1, trip 2 and then odo, with the head light on it shows trip 1, trip2, 000, and then odo.

Is it the same for you, or even when the headlight is on?

I have realized the whining noise in my car so far. And i hope i don;t have it, because i just hate my maruti dealer.

Thanks
micraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 08:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 7 Microsoft, both start with a M, both products are higly popular and used by millions/zillions. And for both, their users hate them passionately. Any coincidence..

Regarding the humming problem it seems to be a mismatch between the gearbox & the engine. It appears to be a torque related issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft
to ravibhat,
i have the same problem in my swift vxi, 5 moths old and it has done only 2500kms. With the head light off, it show correct, trip 1, trip 2 and then odo, with the head light on it shows trip 1, trip2, 000, and then odo.

Is it the same for you, or even when the headlight is on?

I have realized the whining noise in my car so far. And i hope i don;t have it, because i just hate my maruti dealer.

Thanks
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 07:30   #25
BHPian

Default Update

The noise is fixed quite a bit, but it's still there. The service centre is going to replace the hub assembly for the 5th gear, and see if the noise persists.
The damn part has to be sourced from Delhi, so another week of waiting, and another 2 days of downtime.
The service centre folks say they havent had such an occurrence with Swifts; so guys - go and complain!
And I dunno what's the deal with Swift's spare parts - they always seem to be out-of-stock. Perhaps all Swifts are running under peak condition, so they keep low inventories :>

Last edited by ballkey : 25th September 2006 at 07:33.
Old 25th September 2006, 09:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

In my swift this whining seems to have disappeared. Well I guess e mechanic was right . new car, gears need to mesh in.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 21:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The noise is fixed quite a bit, but it's still there. The service centre is going to replace the hub assembly for the 5th gear, and see if the noise persists.
The damn part has to be sourced from Delhi, so another week of waiting, and another 2 days of downtime.
The service centre folks say they havent had such an occurrence with Swifts; :>
give them another chance...if they probably don't fix things the second time, then maybe push for new gearbox. This time around you'd have a valid reason to ask for replacement too !
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 22:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

I checked with few guys who own swifts, they didn't notice any noise in any gear, may be it depends on the way we drive or few faulty swifts.

Strange thing about wrong odo (trip A, trip B, 000, actual odo reading ) noticed by other member micraft vbmenu_register("postmenu_297899", true); in this thread when headlight is on exists in my swift still. Once I turn off headlight it just shows trip A, trip B, Actual odo reading.

Ravi.

PS If someone feel this odo reading is offtopic for this thread excuse me since I don't wanted to open new thread, since in this thread there is complain about swift I thought of adding this odo reading issue as well.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 10:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that odd odo display occurs when outer lights are on (even if headlights are off). I am also getting a small steering play problem, besides the whine.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 14:44   #30
BHPian

Default Update

Guys, this issue is fixed. The 5th gear hub assembly was replaced, and the noise is completely arrested. It seems this is the first Swift with this problem, so guys who're having similar issues - take it up with your service center!
Here's hoping nothing ever breaks again. Three days without the car makes one pretty mad.