Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2006, 00:49   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Whats with the rear wheels!

**I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right section. My sincere apologies and thanks if one of the moderators would be happy to move this thread.**

Hello! People,
I've been hearing a lot about these Jeddah Accords. Lots of these emails with pictures floating around. Got a forward from my friend, its an accord and I'm just wondering, Whats with so much of negative camber?

I'll just post all the pics. Pretty neat cosmetic mods. But i'm more interested in how well the damn thing runs.





"A typical oval track setup would have positive camber in the left front and negative camber in the right front to help the vehicle make left-hand turns."

Now that I get, But why on a road going car and only the rear wheels.

All I'm wondering is, if this has some significance when it comes to grip or the way the car handles or is it just another poser's idea to look different?

BTW here are the rest of the pics of the car.

















TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 00:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

wow! the guy who did this is a Surgeon? and can someone enlighten abt the wheel thingy? It rides like that?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:03   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

I think it's a feature of the hydraulic/air suspension on these cars. I don't know if you know about this but some older cars like the Citroen DS's (one of my all-time favourites & definetely on the must-have list) used to feature hydraulic suspension which would drop down the height of the body when the car was switched off and raised again when it was started. I have seen this feature on some Old Pullman Merc's too.

So I think it's simply a system where the car drops its ride height when switched off (by releasing the air/hydraulic pressure in the resevoirs) and simultaneously the wheels are also jutted out to give it that dramatic look. Maybe one of the experts can elaborate better. Also look closely that the part under the rear door is nearly touching the road so surely the car can't be driven like & has to be raised & wheels straightened before driving off.

BTW nice rides & really well done mods, now I know Arush's inspiration for the White Accord!! Love the airplane wing-rear doors if not their hinges up the passenger's back!!

P.S. Nice M5 replica alloys but they are shod with NANKANG tyres I would expect the owner to have atleast acceptable footwear on his cars after so many mods!

Last edited by iraghava : 14th September 2006 at 01:08.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:07   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

looking from behind, it looks like somebody who is having a lot of pressure on her bowels
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:22   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
I think it's a feature of the hydraulic/air suspension on these cars. I don't know if you know about this but some older cars like the Citroen DS's (one of my all-time favourites & definetely on the must-have list) used to feature hydraulic suspension which would drop down the height of the body when the car was switched off and raised again when it was started. I have seen this feature on some Old Pullman Merc's too.

So I think it's simply a system where the car drops its ride height when switched off (by releasing the air/hydraulic pressure in the resevoirs) and simultaneously the wheels are also jutted out to give it that dramatic look. Maybe one of the experts can elaborate better. Also look closely that the part under the rear door is nearly touching the road so surely the car can't be driven like & has to be raised & wheels straightened before driving off.
So its just an anti - theft measure?
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 01:39   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockroach
So its just an anti - theft measure?
Anti-theft???

It is more of a showoff tool now. Earlier it used be a characteristic of the system since the Air/Hydraulic pumps would stop once the car's were switched off & so there would be no pressure to sustain the cars at their ride heights. Now with advancing technology there's no such need but since it looks "Cool" people are using this as a showoff tool.

Where did you think of this as an Anti-Theft measure anyway? Due to me mentioning that it can't be driven like this?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 02:20   #7
BHPian
 
Fuelled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 252
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
P.S. Nice M5 replica alloys but they are shod with NANKANG tyres I would expect the owner to have atleast acceptable footwear on his cars after so many mods!
I'm guessing the owner likes to drift ala Fast n Furious style.

But the mods on the accord are really something.
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 03:02   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Where did you think of this as an Anti-Theft measure anyway? Due to me mentioning that it can't be driven like this?
Yep. More like i'm looking for the purpose. To show off is also a purpose but you will always find me go -- ***. A mod that drastic should serve a productive purpose.
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alloy Wheels - Sai Mag Wheels (Rama Road Industrial Area) tsk13 Delhi NCR 37 30th December 2016 17:07
Whats double clutching & whats the reason to use it _Crazi4Speed_ Technical Stuff 109 25th February 2016 08:49
Radurra "Clear Wheels" - See Through Wheels!!! Rehaan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 34 17th September 2011 13:27
Whats the fastest i.e whats the highest average speeds that you have maintained naveendhyani Street Experiences 1 3rd April 2006 18:09
Whats the fastest i.e whats the highest average speeds that you have maintained MKRAFT Street Experiences 1 3rd April 2006 17:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks