Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


View Poll Results: Your preferred oil change interval?
Whatever the manufacturer recommends 88 27.50%
5,000 - 7,500 kms 66 20.63%
7,600 - 10,000 kms 122 38.13%
10,100 - 15,000 kms 39 12.19%
Over 15,000 kms (seriously??) 5 1.56%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,029
Thanked: 3,523 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
First off [b]
- This German engine slurps up oil in a really weird manner. At times, there is considerable drop on the measuring stick while after top up and similar usage, the oil levels remain same. So, does topping up the Engine oil often extend the oil changing interval/kms ?

- While changing Engine oils, many experts recommend draining out the existing oil completely before pouring the new one in. Does a complete 'Flushing' also be a part of 'Must Do' list during this procedure?
Sorry to bump up questions meant for GTO but here are my 2 cents on the discussion:

1. Most modern engines, probably except VW do not generally require a top up within the drain interval. However, I am assuming that top ups are generally in the range of 200-300 ml, which form a very small percentage of total oil in the engine. So, my recommendation will be not to alter the drain interval of the original oil in the system. In case of VW, you better be particularly careful because of the way these German engines can respond to bad treatment.

Also, all new engines generate more heat than when they would complete their run in because of tighter clearances and hence higher friction. That extra heat degrades oil faster.

2. Try to drain as much oil from the engine by keeping the drain bolt open for long. You will be surprised by the quantity of oil which can drip slowly drop by drop over extended time. Flushing, by way of separate fluids is not really necessary if you change oil at regular intervals. Try it only if your engine has sludge formation inside.

Make sure to change the oil filter compulsorily at the time of oil change. Car oil filters themselves can store about 200 ml of oil! Also, nothing can be more unfortunate than an engine suffering because of a combination of a clogged old filter and fresh engine oil. Also, old filters can develop leaks leading to catastrophic results.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd December 2015 at 18:10.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:09   #47
BHPian
 
drdeepudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 228
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Voted for 5000- 7500 km.

Reason: I own a 2009 Fiat Linea MJD with 93,000km on the odometer which underwent an engine rebuild at 90,500km. I was sticking to the manufacturer recommended interval of 15,000 km or 1 year. But, this proved disastrous for me. In my opinion Selenia does not last for that Km as recommended, at least in our traffic conditions.Switched over to Shell Helix HX7 and is using that now.

Rest of the vehicles, I make sure that I change the oil well before the stipulated time. May be I trusted European technology a lot.
drdeepudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:12   #48
BHPian
 
bijuiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Oil chemistry and engine technology have evolved tremendously in recent years, many a times oil change before the recommended interval [of fairly new cars] is unnecessary and is adding contaminated waste oil to the environment. Stick to the manufacturer's recommendation- it is safe, economical and environment-friendly.
bijuiser is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:16   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Many manufacturers recommend 15k interval. I have done few tests in which the viscosity of the oil drops at 10k itself. No way the oil can withstand 15k if the car is run all the times in city.
If the car runs only on highways then for sure 15k oil interval is good.
Secondly it also comes to the quality of the oil. Some fully synthetics like OWS have damaged the multijet engines after use of just 8-9k kms.
Good oils like Mobil Delvac 1 withstand abuse and can be comfortably used for 15k kms. Semi synthetics and the usual castrol junks cannot go beyond 7500 on diesels and a bit more on petrols.
amit_mechengg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:17   #50
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 827
Thanked: 725 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

I follow manufacturer recommendation of 15 K Kms for my Punto for the very same reason some of the others mentioned. They know the car better than us.

However I do have a doubt for those who change the oil in 10K Kms if the recommended change is 15K. What do you do at the next scheduled service (in case it is every 15K Kms)? Do you refuse to get the oil changed since it is only 5k Kms old now after the last change? Wont it affect the warranty if you do not change oil during scheduled service?
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:58   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I follow manufacturer recommendation of 15 K Kms for my Punto for the very same reason some of the others mentioned. They know the car better than us.

However I do have a doubt for those who change the oil in 10K Kms if the recommended change is 15K. What do you do at the next scheduled service (in case it is every 15K Kms)? Do you refuse to get the oil changed since it is only 5k Kms old now after the last change? Wont it affect the warranty if you do not change oil during scheduled service?
If you want you can witness my linea, i have kept the interval 7500 right from the beginning. Check the smoothness of the engine.
Yes manufacturers know our cars better, but they also know how to do marketing. for example - they write that as soon as you start the engine start rolling. This is disastrous to the turbo.

If the interval is 15 change it at 7.5 on own cost. Again after 7.5 they will change in service. There is no question of warranty problems as far as you change the oils every 15k at FASS.
amit_mechengg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:14   #52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

I drive a swift VDI, almost always in Bangalore city traffic. Very rarely take it out. I change the CI grade mineral oil every 5000 kms and service at ASS every 10000 kms. About to touch 50000 kms on my odo and the engine is as good as it can be.

My SX4 (P) and Figo (D) don't run as much and they get their oil changed during service, once every year.

Tried synthetic in SX4 for a couple of times, but saw no value due to low running. Now i stick to SN grade mineral.

Fogo gets the ford recommended ASS supplied oil.
dr.dre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:23   #53
BHPian
 
tejas08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mulund, Mumbai
Posts: 363
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Since, Honda City is my first car, I am still sticking to the Manufacturer provided intervals which says 6M / 10K Kms. I get the oil changed everytime I go to the ASC at regular service intervals. My average usage in 6 Months is about 7-8K which is probably the best bracket to get the Oil changed.

Also, I am still sticking to Mineral Oil for some more time before I try out Synthetic Oils.
tejas08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:30   #54
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 827
Thanked: 725 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
If you want you can witness my linea, i have kept the interval 7500 right from the beginning. Check the smoothness of the engine.

Hi Amit,

Although my post was next to yours, it was not directed at yours. As you can see from my post, it was to those who changed oil at 10000 kms instead of the company specified 15000 Kms and I could see a couple of posts who said they did. The reason for my doubt was that if you change at 10000 kms and again at 15000 Kms (during regular servicing) , are you not changing a bit too early the second time (at 5000 Kms)? In that case is it not better to change at 7500 kms so that the duration is even. If you refuse to change at the scheduled 15000 (citing its just 5000 kms since last change) and change at 20000 kms, you risk losing warranty because you skipped a company specified oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Yes manufacturers know our cars better, but they also know how to do marketing. for example - they write that as soon as you start the engine start rolling. This is disastrous to the turbo.
Strange. Because I dont know for Linea, but attached is what Fiat specifies for Punto taken from my user manual.

What oil change interval do you adhere to?-img_20151202_195702.jpg

But yes in principle I agree to your point, infact even I am contemplating to start changing engine oil, oil and air filter for my Punto every 7500 kms after the next service.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:58   #55
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 349
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster View Post
Honda recommends service at 6 month 10,000 kilometers intervals. However I change my oil at every 6 months. 99% of the time my car eats up around 6 to 7 K Kilometers by that time. I was told by my ASC that the OEM oil for the diesel City is fully synthetic variety. However it costs 1300 for 4 litres. Is this okay?
Bhpians: I read the thread on what oil to use and got totally confused with so many options. I am planning on using Mobil next time.
VW's synthetic magnatec professional costs 950-1000 per liter. No way is 1300 for 4 liters synthetic.
(PS. I keep a can in the boot and bought it from VW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I follow manufacturer recommendation of 15 K Kms for my Punto for the very same reason some of the others mentioned. They know the car better than us.

However I do have a doubt for those who change the oil in 10K Kms if the recommended change is 15K. What do you do at the next scheduled service (in case it is every 15K Kms)? Do you refuse to get the oil changed since it is only 5k Kms old now after the last change? Wont it affect the warranty if you do not change oil during scheduled service?
I get the full service and not just oil change at 7500-8000kms.
Now planning to keep air filter change at every 4k interval or less.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 2nd December 2015 at 22:02.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 22:19   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 122
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

From my experience of using the car (swift covered above 1.35L kilometres), I've learnt that changing the oil between 7 to 8K is best as the mileage reduces beyond that. The mileage per litre is the best between 0 to 7.5K after that it gradually reduces by 1 to 1.5 kilometre per 1K kilometres covered. I use Mobil Delvac MX mineral oil.
kozhissery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:19   #57
BHPian
 
Jeevith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Apart from holes in your wallet, is there a downside to changing the oil earlier than recommended (say as frequently as 5000 km)?
Jeevith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:45   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 486 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

I adhere to 10,000 kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier. And till date only filled manufacture recommended one.

So voted for
7,600 - 10,000 kms.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:37   #59
BHPian
 
auto_enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bombay/Surat
Posts: 124
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I have done few tests in which the viscosity of the oil drops at 10k itself.

Good oils like Mobil Delvac 1 withstand abuse and can be comfortably used for 15k kms.

Semi synthetics and the usual castrol junks cannot go beyond 7500 on diesels and a bit more on petrols.
Hi Amit

How did you check the viscosity of the oil? Is there any procedure to do so?
auto_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 03:14   #60
BHPian
 
embee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DL
Posts: 169
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

I generally make it a point to change the oil and the oil filter almost every 10,000 kilometers or in 1 years time keeping in mind the driving environment/conditions in Delhi. Keeps the engine running smooth. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by embee : 3rd December 2015 at 03:22.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Mercedes W124 Oil Change & Pela 650 Engine Oil Extractor DeepakMenon DIY - Do it yourself 20 9th April 2017 10:59
Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY neosmart Technical Stuff 76 19th August 2015 18:01
Can you change the time interval set for intermittent wipers? girlieonwheels Technical Stuff 14 27th August 2011 11:43
Peugeot XDP oil change interval satish.rpr 4x4 Technical 7 4th July 2011 20:51
Oil change interval - why the difference for a hatch and sedan ? supremeBaleno Technical Stuff 38 12th August 2008 18:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks