Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your preferred oil change interval?
Whatever the manufacturer recommends 88 27.50%
5,000 - 7,500 kms 66 20.63%
7,600 - 10,000 kms 122 38.13%
10,100 - 15,000 kms 39 12.19%
Over 15,000 kms (seriously??) 5 1.56%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2015, 12:23   #76
BHPian

Default Re: What oil change interval do you adhere to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Fuel filter is not a must and can be driven till 50,000 Km's without change if you trust your petrol bunk and do not have frequent highway runs with your car.
Hi stanjohn123,
Why do we need to change the fuel filter earlier than 50,000 km if we have frequent highway run?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi stanjohn123,
Why do we need to change the fuel filter earlier than 50,000 km if we have frequent highway run?
There are more chances of adulterated fuel in highway pumps so as to get some profits as the number of car's refueling here are less than in cities.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:11   #78
BHPian

From my point of view, the less frequent the oil chnage interval, the better it is. My last car was a Toyota Prius (in the US) which I drove for nearly 200k kms and there were absolutely no issues faced in the eight years of ownership. The car felt like new after eight years. The recommended interval was 10k miles which is slightly over 15k kms. I always pushed it to arond 12k miles or nearly 19k kms for each change. My reasoning was that there is bound to be a little tolerance in the interval. If 15k kms are recommended, it is bound to be fine till at least 20k as many people get busy and tend to go beyond the interval. In the US the service stations and big oil chnage chains recommend 3k miles and paste stickers on a corner of your windscreen to remind you. There has been a lot of research that has shown that this is a waste. Not only is it bad for the environment and a waste ot money, it is a needless hassle.

Here in India, I am changing the oil at around 14 months against a recommended 12 month interval for my Jetta. I am not crossing 15k kms per year but if I did, I would push it a to 17k or so as long as it wasn't over 14 months. I drive my cars gently and never push them hard. The manufacturers have done a lot of research and there is absolutely no need or benefit in changing the oil earlier than recommended unless you are redlining all the time or hauling heavy loads. For convinience is the key. If I happened to go for some servicing at 11 months or 13k kms, I would get the oil change done as well. On the other hand if it has been 12 months or over 15m kms and I know I woukd be going for servicing after say two months, I have no worries in holding off for some time.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 15:53   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are more chances of adulterated fuel in highway pumps so as to get some profits as the number of car's refueling here are less than in cities.
Fuel filter is very critical for engines. You CANNOT stretch the change of fuel filter to 50K kms irrespective of where you get the fuel filled. Especially in case of modern diesel engines it is so critical that a failed/clogged pump can destroy the complete common rail system which can set you back by a couple of lakh rupees minimum. Always change the fuel filter at manufacturer recommended interval. Probably a couple of thousand kms extra would not matter though.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 16:15   #80
BHPian

If a new car has not run the required number of kilometers as per the manufacturer and a year has passed, should the oil be changed? Or can the car be run with the same oil till it reaches 7-8k kms before the oil is changed for the first time?
CarNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 17:57   #81
BHPian

Coming from someone who switched from petrol to diesel, I'd say 7500-10k seems fair. When I had the Getz and was using Mobil1 fully synthetic( which brought life in that engine really! ) the interval used to be anything between 10-12k kms. Even despite the mad Mumbai traffic, it used to hold up pretty well & was a key factor in returning respectable mileage figures from a car which otherwise wouldn't! Full marks to Mobil there.

Switching over to the Liva, done 10k kms in around 15 months, with one oil change over 2 free services, whatever Toyota is using, is doing well. The only issue being the patient nature of the engine. It's never in a hurry and because of the limited power band you can't do much. Plan to switch to fully synthetic post 20k kms. Getting an approx 15 kpl in the city and nothing like it really. All smiles.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 17:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
If a new car has not run the required number of kilometers as per the manufacturer and a year has passed, should the oil be changed? Or can the car be run with the same oil till it reaches 7-8k kms before the oil is changed for the first time?
Great question! I feel it should be changed. Always better than sorry, but with me it was always like I don't know how many kms will the car be driven until the next service. Hence used to change it. BUT no harm in covering up the kms & changing later. Just keep an eye on the levels, check it time to time.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 18:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

What oil is used by Mahindra for their M-Hawk engines? Are they ok to withstand 10K of abuse?

I am thinking to stick to a service interval every 7,500 kms & if the oil isn't good, then maybe 5,000 kms.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 20:19   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Like most service centers in India I think they will try to mint money from you as much as possible. So better equip yourself before hand what needs to be done and not and point blank be ready to tell them NO to their face.
Thank you Stanjohn, i shall surely be cautious , your inputs are certainly valuable. The trend of minting money at agencies is evident almost everywhere, strangely the only exception i see is Tata dealer at my place, when i service my Storme, the people their are usually helpful and have never tried to push the extras. May be because of my cordial relations with the SA's
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 08:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What oil is used by Mahindra for their M-Hawk engines? Are they ok to withstand 10K of abuse?

I am thinking to stick to a service interval every 7,500 kms & if the oil isn't good, then maybe 5,000 kms.
From the owner's manual soft copy:
Always use "MAXIMILE FEO" new generation Mahindra genuine
engine oil. This is specially developed for your engine’s optimum
performance and fuel efficiency.

In extreme cases of emergency and non-availability of above oil, we
suggest Engine Oil meeting minimum API CH-4 SAE 15W-40
specification can be used and replaced at 6000 km. This alternate
oil or other Brand will not provide equivalent performance of above
Genuine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Great question! I feel it should be changed. Always better than sorry, but with me it was always like I don't know how many kms will the car be driven until the next service. Hence used to change it. BUT no harm in covering up the kms & changing later. Just keep an eye on the levels, check it time to time.

Plus, the chemistry (formulation) of oil too will deteriorate with the passage of time, even if the car not being driven.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 09:25   #86
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Mahindra recommends a oil change of 20,000 km for the M-Hawk engine, there is no time limit. Even at 20,000 km the oil does not detiorate, but if you do not complete the 20,000 km within about 18 months, change oil after 18 months. 5000km and 7500 km are too short.

In my opinion in a short few years oil change is going to be a thing of the past, and only filter change with sweetner addition will be the norm. Bigger engines are already having very long intervals, VOLVO bus 1,00,000 for intercity and 40,000 for local. Indian railway Locomotives EMD type 183 days or 2,40,000km.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 5th December 2015 at 09:29.
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:08   #87
BHPian

The recommended oil change is 10K for the Figo, but I stick to to 5K as the car tends to feel coarse beyond 7K. Sticking to mineral oil as the 8V power plant is pretty antiquated. However the 5K oil change at the service center is an irritation as they insist that oil needs to be changed only at 10K and require additional validation from the workshop manager to perform it. Therefore sticking to the aftermarket service centers to perform the 5K change.
batterylow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Mahindra recommends a oil change of 20,000 km for the M-Hawk engine, there is no time limit.
It is 20,000 km or one year, whichever is earlier for XUV 500. However, the service interval of 10,000 km has no time limit.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

I use Shell HX7 oil for my getz. I change oil along with service every year, running around 7500 kms. The car is 7.5 years old and the engine is as good as new.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:30   #90
BHPian

I change oil at ~9,000 - 10,000 interval. It's always been changed at the ASC.

I dunno why these authorised service centers make such a big deal when we want to change the oil earlier than specified.

I mean,
a) it's only good for the engine!
b) It's just a 5 minute job.
c) AFAIK ASC's earn a decent margin on oil & filter, as well as labour.

If they have some skewed explanation, why even bother going to them? MANY fuel pumps change oil & filter, I don't think the ASC would even make it out during the 'scheduled' service. They usually make Jr mechanics drain the oil.

IMO people who drive mainly in city traffic & hilly areas would often subject the engine to high RPM's. And an early oil change would definitely help such a stressed engine.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 5th December 2015 at 10:32.
WorkingGuru is offline   Reply With Quote