Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th December 2015, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Weird noise from dashboard when starting the car

This problem has been persisting in my 2010 i20 CRDi Asta for quite some time now. Initiating ignition generates a weird noise from inside the dashboard behind the AC vents. The noise goes like this - hmm katak katak katak kat kat kat hmm katak katak. It resembles the sound that a treadmill generates when one runs on it. Bear in mind that this noise persists when the engine is initiated but it's not audible anymore cause of the engine noise. If I put my ear close to the area of noise origin, I can still hear the katak katak in the background. I have shown this to Hyundai a couple of times but with my awesome luck every time I show this to a SA the noise seems to disappear. I just hope that the entity from Insidious is not living in my i20. Uploading a video. Please pay close attention to the noise (you may have to put your ear closer to the speaker to notice). Does anyone have any idea what the problem is ?

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 5th December 2015 at 19:01. Reason: Formatting changes
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 19:20   #2
BHPian

Default re: Weird noise from dashboard when starting the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
This problem has been persisting in my 2010 i20 CRDi Asta for quite some time now.
Do you have Automatic AC? Sounds like a blend door trying to close. I will also start looking at CDs stuck and relays that are stuck.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2015 at 13:15. Reason: Please don't quote videos. Best to quote only the required part. Thanks
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 19:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
This problem has been persisting in my 2010 i20 CRDi Asta for quite some time now. Initiating ignition generates a weird noise from inside the dashboard behind the AC vents. The noise goes like this - hmm katak katak katak kat kat kat hmm katak katak.
This sound is heard when the starter solenoid engages (due to turning ON the ignition). When this solenoid is engaged, it instantly switches on the current flow to the starter motor, causing it to turn.

It appears that in your case, the starter solenoid is getting engaged but the switch inside is not getting properly switched ON. So the current is not being supplied to the motor.

The SA at HASS shall be able to understand this when you explain the problem. The solution is to repair or replace the solenoid contacts or the solenoid itself or to set / repair the brushes to the motor. It shall not call for starter replacement IMO. This work can be safely done by an FNG too.

The following video will help you to visualize the problem.
[url]

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 5th December 2015 at 19:43.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 20:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Do you have Automatic AC? Sounds like a blend door trying to close. I will also start looking at CDs stuck and relays that are stuck.
Yes the AC is automatic. I have already checked the CD tray. That was the first thing I checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
It appears that in your case, the starter solenoid is getting engaged but the switch inside is not getting properly switched ON. So the current is not being supplied to the motor.
Apologies for the noob question (I am not an engineering graduate), Is this solenoid related to HVAC actuator ? I saw some videos on YouTube that mentioned a faulty HVAC actuator can cause noises. Also, is the problem major ?

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 5th December 2015 at 20:09. Reason: formatting changes
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Is this solenoid related to HVAC actuator ? I saw some videos on YouTube that mentioned a faulty HVAC actuator can cause noises. Also, is the problem major ?
This solenoid is only for the starter motor.
The electrical interlocks in the circuit stop the AC and music system momentarily when the starter motor turns. But this solenoid itself does not have any function in the HVAC system. Can you PM me the link to the youtube video?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 20:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I can still hear the katak katak in the background
Sorry if it sounds dumb,
Have you tried cleaning the AC filter situated behind the glovebox.
Few days ago, a whistling kind of sound was coming from AC in my elite i20, I tried cleaning the AC filter. It was clean. Fitting it back is what demands attention, if it not fitted properly back different kind of sounds come. You can try it.
Piyush46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Weird noise from dashboard when starting the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
This solenoid is only for the starter motor.
The electrical interlocks in the circuit stop the AC and music system momentarily when the starter motor turns.
Did a bit of research. Indeed it is a problem with the solenoid or starter motor. Found this helpful video that talks all about starters and associated problems.

As the car is cranking up for now I think the issue is a bad solenoid. This could be because of carbon buildup on the electrical pins of the starter solenoid or the battery AFAIK. I'll get it checked from an FNG as soon as I can. If it turns out to be bad, I guess I will have to get the entire starter motor and starter solenoid changed (as suggested by various videos). [Cost Rs. 12000 - 15000]. Thanks a lot for your help ! Now I know exactly what is wrong and how a starter solenoid works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Have you tried cleaning the AC filter situated behind the glove-box.
Few days ago, a whistling kind of sound was coming from AC in my elite i20, I tried cleaning the AC filter.
On the 1st gen i20 the cabin filter is located in the passenger side foot well not behind the glove box and this katak katak sounds comes even when the AC is off. Earlier I thought that there must be something stuck in the blower fan but my doubts were alleviated when I realized that the sound continues even when ac and blower are off. So by process of elimination that was out.
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote