Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd March 2016, 12:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
If you want to change a spare do you get Hyundai genuine or other spares from local market ?
This is my usual process: 1) Visit the mechanic as ask him about the problem if any. If he points out the parts I need I ask him how much will it cost me on an average. 2) Visit a parts shop (over time I have identified ones in Gurgaon and South Delhi) and buy the parts / oils required for the job. 3) Visit the mechanic again and give him the required things needed. He does the job and charges for labor.
Till date I have not had a job which requires leaving the car overnight at the FNG or one where I am unable to source the parts. What I have noticed is this is where having a Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai counts. Currently, the i20's airbag clock spring went kaput. Since this is an electronic issue and not a mechanical one I will have to go to ASC. I have always been able to source Genuine Hyundai spares either on shops or online.

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 3rd March 2016 at 12:40.
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:54   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Floods: 9 days of me & my Santro. An autobiography!

Simply Exemplary. Hats off to your patience that bear with all the check points that should be done before starting a flood affected car. I think I may not be able to withstand with such long procedures with a trembling heart. Its make clear that you love your car very much. Once again thanks to all fellow Team BHP members who shared their experiences so that novices like me can make better decisions when we are in troublesome situations like this. And all the best wishes to dear Tamarind from the bottom of my heart.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:03   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Flood recovery an opportunity to for us to LEARN and service centers to EARN

Quote:
Holy mother of GOD !
Cashing out on every opportunity. No matter how immoral it may be. I wish everyone gets their vehicles checked outside by competitive mechanics to make sure that the quote by ASC is in line with the actual required repairs.

Resorting to such practices when people have already endured so much is pathetic indeed.
Speedshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:19   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Flood recovery an opportunity to for us to LEARN and service centers to EARN

Quote:
Me: Sir, its my hard earned money at stake here, please be honest are these people over charging ?
These lines bought tears to the corners of my eye. What pathetic plight our TeamBHP brothers in Chennai have to go through....god forbid.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

good call, but why are your protecting the hyundai service centre ?
The rest of us could also avoid getting fleeced at the place
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 16:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
Cashing out on every opportunity. No matter how immoral it may be. I wish everyone gets their vehicles checked outside by competitive mechanics to make sure that the quote by ASC is in line with the actual required repairs.

Resorting to such practices when people have already endured so much is pathetic indeed.
We can see this kind of mentality in every aspect of service and business these days, be it house hold electrical, plumbing, hospitals etc. Very difficult to find genuine people these days. In day to day life, coming across experience like this (by self and friends) frequently.
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 17:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
We can see this kind of mentality in every aspect of service and business these days
I agree with other people here that you should name the ASC here, maybe it can save someone his/her hard-earned money. Also, you should escalate this to Hyundai, this is nothing short of a blow to the great after sales image they carry.
Speedshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Attaboy! Just one word: exemplary! The tendency of pouncing on the uninformed consumer, has indeed leached way too deep into our way of conducting business! Great work indeed and a real eye opener. I must say, with water that high, the basic engineering of the car, must have been really good. 80kms post the flood and water ingress, and just the starter motor: not sure which other cars with similar water ingress would have survived. Or may be it was pure luck on your side. Did you take any special care of the electricals? Harnesses, switches etc? Would love to hear and learn! If not, are you planning to? There could be moisture damage here and there...could creep up later.
Not very surprising. In the 2005 Mumbai floods my Wagon R got fully submerged and I did not even need to take it to the service station.
chinkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 01:15   #39
BHPian

During the 2005 Mumbai floods I had dropped off my Santro that very morning at the Hyundai service centre and then gone to college ! No flooding at my place since its near the beach but at the service centre it was completely submerged ! Apparently there was so much water some cars were floating down the street ! Talk about bad luck, it was just a routine service. Luckily as far as I can remember insurance was claimed but the amount itself wasnt too large as such, under 20-30k for sure. No idea what all they replaced or repaired but car came back in good condition.

This reminds me of a question that came up at the time. If something like this happens to the car while it is in the service center, isnt the service centre supposed to have insurance cover for it and should be liable to repair it by claiming insurance themselves from their insurance company ?

BTW Tamrind : Good job, you saved yourself quite a bit.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 06:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
FNG ?
Is that the name of your mechanic shop nearby
Friendly neighbourhood garage. Well done and good that you kept your cool throughout the ordeal.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 14:51   #41
BHPian

Great job!, your presence of mind seems to have saved yourself a lot of money and heartache. It shows just how callous the world is now, that people will try to rip you off if one is naive and gullible.

Yes. Gannu_1, that indeed is a self-tapping screw. I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and we use similar ones all the time in fracture fixations.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 22:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
good call, but why are your protecting the hyundai service centre ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
I agree with other people here that you should name the ASC here, maybe it can save someone his/her hard-earned money. Also, you should escalate this to Hyundai, this is nothing short of a blow to the great after sales image they carry.
Have no interest in protecting the Service Center, but the lively hood of the insurance person who tipped me with his eye roll ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The rest of us could also avoid getting fleeced at the place
No good in omitting the service center whom i can name. My suggestion is for any service center for that matter, Just be careful when they list down the issues with the car and question everything till you get satisfied (but with a pinch of salt). If they talk in technical terms, ask them to explain in plain English and make you understand

Take a second opinion if required And trust your gut feel !
Tamarind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 12:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Take a second opinion if required And trust your gut feel !
Infact always its better to do this review at least one week before. Say, you have an issue with your car, go to A.S.S and get it checked and find out what it takes to solve it along with cost. Do not fix it.

Take comments from TeamBHPians for the week and then after you are satisfied, you can then go back to A.S.S and get it fixed in the way fellow TeamBHPian's suggest.

It's always better to solve issues through peers rather than being sorry with A.S.S suggestions. I learnt this hard way.

Last edited by prithm : 7th March 2016 at 12:57.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote