Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd May 2016, 21:49   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Spending 1.3 lakhs on a 9 year old Fiesta. Worth it?

Please note that the Petrol Fiesta needs a timing belt change around the 100K mark. I know we did it for the 1.6 we have and because it was an FNG, it cost around 10K for that. At the A.S.S expect a 20K or more bill.
But overall, I have to say if the vehicle is in pretty decent condition other than that, from a cost perspective, spending 1.5L is much cheaper for you than buying a new car. Now, unless a smaller car makes things more practical in terms of driving and parking, I would say you should rather keep the Fiesta because it is a fairly comfortable and practical vehicle. The biggest problem I face with my Fiesta is servicing it because spares are expensive and not always readily available.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 23:12   #92
BHPian

40k for suspension overhaul seems too high for me. You can get it done for much less outside Ford A.S.S.
The real problem is about how long you are planning to keep your vehicle. If you are planning to do all the works that are mentioned above , you should keep the car for atleast 4-5 years. Remember fiesta is not an easy car to maintain ( when you take into account the price of spare parts) and you are looking at even more maintanence when you cross lakh kilometres. So decide wisely.
DrANTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:40   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
40k for suspension overhaul seems too high for me. You can get it done for much less outside Ford A.S.S.
Like other have mentioned, it is difficult to get Ford OEM parts outside and 3rd party replacement parts are generally not up-to the mark. I would say, get all the work except AC done from a good A.S.S.

Does ford still sell Fiesta classis? If not, expect a huge jump in spares price (if it has not yet happened) in the near future. The cost of Ikon parts almost doubled overnight and it used to cost me more to service my Ikon compared to getting the same work done on a Fiesta. So that is something you need to keep in mind while deciding to keep or sell the car.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 03:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

A 9 year Ford has typically lived it's reliable life Beyond this its up to lady luck.

Coming to the estimates, I can do an arm chair comment saying that the repair estimates are on the higher side because,

1. AC Evaporator coil is the usual culprit and I've replaced it my 2009 Fiesta 1.6L for about 20ish thousand. I'm not sure what all is being replaced/repaired for your car at 40000.

2. Similarly for suspension, are all four shocks being replaced? If it's a creaky noise when you pass over a dip/speed bump or turn in sharp it could be the front lower arms and they don't cost a bomb.

Please probe the dealer on the above and see if you can bring the cost down.

Having said that, after 9 years any electrical/electronic/mechanic failure like Injectors, Fuel Pump, O2 Sensor, Indicator console etc. are things that are a gamble. If they fail, it's quite expensive to replace and I'm not too sure about non OEM replacements for these.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

My answer to your thread title is No.

It just isn't worth it. Ford's are not reliable after a point and no matter how much you try to keep the car in shape by replacing worn parts, something or the other always fails. I speak from experience. I was in need of a car and did not have the money to spend on a new one. Ended up picking up what appeared to be a mint condition Ford Ikon 1.6l. In two years years that I owned the car, I spent over a lac on repairs. Parts were not in short supply and they were definitely cheaper than the quote you received for your Fiesta. However; there were no end to my problems. The car was at Ford, once every two months for something or the other. Every repair bill was expensive. I did not have to touch the engine though. It was reliable. Everything else on the car was giving up. I too went through the same phase as you. Suspension over haul, coolant expansion tank replacement, new drive shafts, exhaust, AC evaporator coil, the ever famous AC divertor valve, radiator fan, brakes and god knows what else.

The thought had crossed my mind to sue Ford India as well. In 10 years of making the Ford Ikon and knowing that the AC divertor valve was defective by design, they did not care to fix it. You'd be lucky if it lasted over a year. It was that bad and an wallet damage of Rs. 4500 every time you had to replace it. I replaced this part 3 times in two years.

I should have given up on the car on the first year itself. I have a problem of getting attached to material things and it was hard to give up on the car. My wife put some sense into my head and I let it go, knowing the fact that I had already spent so much. Hopefully, the new owner has not run in to as many problems as I did. This car went horribly wrong for us to the extent that my wife is now anti Ford. The problem was the age of the car and nothing else. When it comes to longevity, you can't beat the Japanese. The Koreans have caught up too.

For your awareness, I got the suspension over haul done at Ford for around 17k and the Ikon was known for pricey parts. 40k is ridiculous. I guess the high cost of spares is because of a car that is no longer in production. FM reignofchaos got a quote of 70k to over haul the brakes on his Mitsubishi Cedia!

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd May 2016 at 07:53.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:29   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are keen on keeping the car, do look at the authorized Ford Parts distributors and a reliable FNG for a second opinion. Do not take the initial quote from the Ford dealer at face value.

The price for repairs in the opening post looks quite steep. If you can fix the car for a reasonable sum, I would suggest you to keep it. Its a 1.4 petrol, there is not much to go wrong anyways.

I think the closest shop for you will be at Pune. Not sure whether Mumbai got one currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Parts
Pune
Auto Ji Ford Parts
17/8, D1 Block
MIDC Chinchwad
Pune - 411019
Tel: +91 020 65606144
coo@autoji.com
Source

And this is our thread with the details. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...e-parts-3.html
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you take your car to a reliable FNG and take a quote? I am pretty sure you can get it all done at half the cost.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:26   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Spread your repairs over a period of time, instead of doing everything at once. Put a budget of Rs. 5k or 10k per month for repairs and prioritize things. For example: Coolant tank replacement would be highest priority while bumper repairs would be lowest.

And yes, do take a second or third opinion (one at a FNG and another one at an authorized service center) on repairs and quote.
smartcat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Spending 1.3 Lacs, not worth it.
Keeping the car, yes.
1. 40k for suspension overhaul. - Got it done for about 17k
2. 40k for AC unit(initially they said 18k but now they see it is a bigger problem and thus the increase in cost). - 7k for fixing up and cooling coil change
3. About 10k for bumper+paint. - 17k for the whole car with roof included
4. 5k for coolant tank replacement. - 400 rupees, 3 years back.
5. The car has run 91k and we also decided to get it serviced for the 100k interval.
6. Miscellaneous cost like power windows, paint touch up, putting up the monograms etc. Driver side power window switch replaced for about 1k.

All at FNG.

Check the TBHP directory for a good workshop in Mumbai.

How much does that come to? About 45k, margining? And that's a lot of work, so that amount seems high. The AC coil is a known fault, agreed. But, when its a frequent fault, it happens in about 1-2 years, else, maybe 5-7 years. Part sourcing issue is a myth. Its from the Ikon days, and perpetuated by people who got stung by that car.

Now, I have myself thought about selling off my own car for the past 2 years, and MAY do so in the near future. But I am unable to, for a reason known all too well by fiesta owners.
However, if you cant find an FNG, or if you're dissatisfied in some other manner, or have just basically reached your breaking point, you ought to sell it off. Just wanted to bring the cost bit to light, so that you don't get rid of a last-of-its-breed car for the wrong reason.

PS: You take ANY car to ANY A.S.C., requiring the above work, you will get a similar quote. Its not just ford.

Last edited by mayankk : 3rd May 2016 at 10:08.
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 20:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

I have clocked closer to 120000 kms (XUV 5OOW8) in 3 yrs of ownership.

HU has failed twice and got replaced in warranty. Check engine light flashed few times, while on long drives with family, which didn't gave me the confidence as i had before, though most of such warning are not of any trouble, but errors. Service advisors plus the technicians of authorized dealers kept saying not to retain this vehicle beyond warranty (1.5L kms). So was making my mind to replace it in next 20k kms or so....Came across this thread today

With nice engine and safety features, realized how expensive it would be replace with a similar vehicle. On the reliability part, may be replacing the essential parts as a proactive measure will be of some help. Is there any place where I could find the life time of parts which are prone to failure as the clocking gets higher?

Replacing little worn out parts (gear knob, 3D mats, volume control buttons), arresting the rattles, an interior and exterior polish with touch ups, even aftermarket brake upgrades or even a remap will bring back the freshness as well
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 15:01   #101
BHPian

contrary to the popular belief that just Skoda and VW group vehicles are a trouble to maintain, i would quote the same for a maruti suzuki. Having completed 60000 kilometers in my Ritz in last 5 years, i would rather say that this particular service was quoted at Rs 10000 with normal oil. Anyway, the following problem were also found and the amount spent is as follows

Shocker mounts-4500/-
AC cooling coil-7000/-
Water pump-2500/-
Got the tyres changed-11000/-

Apart from the last expense of tyre change, i believe that my style of driving is very good. Am always light on the pedal and take care not to perform any unwanted stunts on my car. But all said and done, i was contemplating the idea of changing my car to a Toyota. But somehow good sense has prevailed over me and i am again beginning to love it. A new diesel car would have cost me around 7.00 lakhs on road. Whereas me spending around 30000 per year on the car would be just peanuts. Hence i have decided to keep it till Haryana government decides to ban diesel car or it reaches the age of 15 years.
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 21:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Service advisors plus the technicians of authorized dealers kept saying not to retain this vehicle beyond warranty (1.5L kms). So was making my mind to replace it in next 20k kms or so
Given the number of pristine pre-owned cars available in Chennai, there is no harm in parting with your ride , topping up INR 1 lac max. and picking up a W8 of same vintage which has , say ,50k kms on the clock.

You can then drive this till the 120k mark and repeat the process
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 17:03   #103
BHPian

Seeking advise on my scenario.

I have a 2010 pre owned Punto MJD 75PS with 74k on odo. I started looking for a new car to replace it with a budget of 8-9 lakhs. But considering the factors like space, ride and built the only feasible option i could think of is the Figo diesel. But even that is purely because of engine and does not completely fit into the built grade of Punto.

Then i decided to get an estimate to pump in fresh lease of life into Punto.
Below are the expenses that have been recommended by my regular FNG.
Rear shocks ~7000
Front lower arm ~6000
Timing chain ~8000
Front Disks ~ 3500
Door lock gun ~ 2000
Boot strut ~ 2000
Clutch probably in next 15k kms ~10000
Few belts ~ 4000
Paint job ~ 25000

I have changed the front shocks and 1 set of tyres around 15k kms ago.
I am in love with the way Punto drives. This is probably the reason i am finding difficult to find any car matching closely to what Punto offers. Off-course all this is following the heart.
But logically thinking will it be a good decision to put in above expenses and expect it run healthily for next 4-5 yrs (or ~ 1.25 lakh kms mark). The offers that i am getting for car is 1.6-1.8 lakhs
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 17:12   #104
Senior - BHPian

As it is an older car you could compromise on doing a full paint job and just get any dents / scratches touched up, or say one panel such as a door or bumper repainted instead of painting the whole car.

That should cut down on your expenses and the repairs should last you another 3..4 years
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 18:22   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Below are the expenses that have been recommended by my regular FNG.
Rear shocks ~7000
Front lower arm ~6000
Timing chain ~8000
Front Disks ~ 3500
Door lock gun ~ 2000
Boot strut ~ 2000
Clutch probably in next 15k kms ~10000
Few belts ~ 4000
Paint job ~ 25000
Does it require a full paint job? If the scratches are minor, get it inspected by a detailing shop. They might be able to get it back to showroom condition at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
But logically thinking will it be a good decision to put in above expenses and expect it run healthily for next 4-5 yrs (or ~ 1.25 lakh kms mark). The offers that i am getting for car is 1.6-1.8 lakhs
My Punto is currently running with 146.5k kms on the odo. a/c console replaced under warranty at around 64k kms, battery changed at 64k and 128k kms, clutch changed at 140k kms, timing chain changed at 60k and 120k kms. Boot struts changed at 140k kms. No major unplanned expenses so far.

Total costs documented here in case you need a look.

Since all the parts you've mentioned are all wear and tear parts and there is no major issues with the car - I don't see why it can't run reliably for a few more years.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th June 2017 at 18:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote