Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
Old 17th September 2006, 19:57   #1

Hi all there

Well, i been to through many threads at Team-BHP about Ford Ikon..
I guess not many people liked Ikon so much. Well I am planning to get an IKON but after going through the threads, i am bit confused about now. I need to know what exactly are its technical problems and is it worth if i want to goin for a seconhand.. kindly, give me details on tech based
thank you
Old 17th September 2006, 22:03   #2

I own a 2001 model 1.6 ZXi which has clocked 51k kms..
I have been drivin a lotta cars here in Pune but everytime I go back to Delhi and drive the Ikon, a wide grin comes on my face. The Ikon has been one of the best 'fun' cars India has seen till date..

the lowdown ? Yes spares and maintainance is on the heavy side and if u wanna have fun, expect around 6-7kmpl (otherwise it gives around 9-9.5kmpl)

Pick up a second hand from a good dealer only, if possible, with history details
Old 17th September 2006, 22:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess the 1.3 would be a better buy
Old 17th September 2006, 22:51   #4

Try and go for the post 2002 models...Early ones were prone to electrical niggles...Overall a very good car with decent performance and very good handling...one of the few cars tht makes u think ur going faster than u really r..expect mileage to be in the region of 7-8 kmpl..like most fords..maintainance too like bunny said is on the heavy side...but if kept well really good value for money(2nd hand ikons go real cheap)..and yea pls dont even think about the 1.3...most hatches feel more powerful than tht car..

Last edited by balenopower : 17th September 2006 at 22:52.
Old 17th September 2006, 23:11   #5
Default Buy a new one pls

I own a 2006 Ikon Flair (1.3) and almost clocked around 20K Kms.So far no problem to me other than oil change.(Intially i had a problem like engine off in the mid way but that was due to clutch positioning.My Ford dealer just repositioned the clutch and now it's fixed).

So far in my experience It's not powerfull car but still it have enough power for average joe!.If you are going to be a normal driver who falls in to the 95% category then you can go for it.

Handling is decent and and it's a VFM.I consistently got about 12KMPL in city and 16 KMPL in high way.(i am in the 5% catg of drivers).

Sure it's a expensive baby if you are not a good care (car) taker.The catch is how you are going to keep your car .If you take care of it well sure it will not cost you a fortune to own this one.

My strong suggestion is to get a new car if u think abt Ikon.Lot of Ikons in second hand market is either beaten by it's owners or had expensive issues with it.

Happy shopping !

Let me know if you have any more questions.Happy to answer
Old 17th September 2006, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

i just purchased my ford ikon 1.6 second hand...2000 model done 24000kms only...bought it for around 1.40...and i got this super deal as the seller was a cousin of mine...check my garage...cars in great shape...its a good car....amazing performance...good interior space..chillin a/c...handles well...but the down side....brakes are on the poor side...so far no maintainence problems for me...spares are expensive and repair jobs too...its a bit heavy on the wallet for fuel.. around 6 kmpl in city with a/c...but if you have an option to go in for another car then that would be better...probably a 2000/2 baleno is a good choice...
Old 18th September 2006, 11:14   #7

I own my ikon 1.6 zxi since may 2001.. i have no regrets about the car.. a bful performer great handler... but the regrets are brakes, costly maintanance and awful service by dealers..
Old 13th July 2009, 14:37   #8

Hi All,

I recommend to those who are looking for some second hand hatchback car to consider Ford Ikon when a hatchback car and Ford Ikon 1.3 is having same cost,mileage as remaining car life would be more in Ford Ikon's case. Plus Ford Ikon will give more satisfying driving experience than a hatch .

Happy Car Shopping
Closed Thread