Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th June 2009, 15:57   #136
BHPian

Our good old 118Ne has clocked 3,55,000 kms since 1992 still going strong with period maintainence . It is still used for daily travelling of 25 kms
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 15:58   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
Just wanted to know how much is the estimated cost for the overhaul. Are you doing it at the authorized service center or some local workshop?
just a thought can you get a engine block ? you get engine block for M800 for about 10K , so you can try . I can think getting Engine Block from manufacturer is the best .
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 16:04   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
just a thought can you get a engine block ? you get engine block for M800 for about 10K , so you can try . I can think getting Engine Block from manufacturer is the best .
Nope I dont own a indica. I was just curious to know the expenses. I was searching and found that TATA has recon engines for there cars.

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Recon Aggregates
prasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 18:06   #139
BHPian

[quote=passion4cars;1335042]My Esteem 2001

- Car's engine still performs like new .
------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is great and inspiring. My accent has done just 53xxx and i would love to use it for another 75k km ATLEAST.
Your experience is reassuring as i also treat my car as well so it ought to serve me as well unless if the hyundai engine is not at all as rugged as the 1.3 L suzuki gem on the esteem.
Another thing is i have retrofitted LPG kit. Hope that doesnt play spoilsport. Though in theory , the LPG should only improve the longevity of the engine.
Can Anybody with a long run run on LPG confirm this ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 6th June 2009 at 18:09.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 21:41   #140
BHPian

I dont think so it would be much different between LPG & Petrol , maybe 20K up or down as LPG is drier as compared to petrol . Accent engine is also very superb. My cousin brothers Accent engine has done about 75K and its doing good .

[quote=HIGHNOON;1335392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
My Esteem 2001

- Car's engine still performs like new .
------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is great and inspiring. My accent has done just 53xxx and i would love to use it for another 75k km ATLEAST.
Your experience is reassuring as i also treat my car as well so it ought to serve me as well unless if the hyundai engine is not at all as rugged as the 1.3 L suzuki gem on the esteem.
Another thing is i have retrofitted LPG kit. Hope that doesnt play spoilsport. Though in theory , the LPG should only improve the longevity of the engine.
Can Anybody with a long run run on LPG confirm this ?
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 10:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

My old Esteem (Carb) was bought by a cab operator when it had done 63,500km. He did another 350,000km before selling it. No engine jobs. I have seem many cars with 80,000 to 90,000km with no issues.
I think with modern petrol engines you can expect 125,000km plus at the minimum.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 17:22   #142
BHPian

Lightbulb Engine Life - Highway Vs City

A comparison question here:

Most highway cruises may make an engine do 2000-3500 rpm constantly, depending on the type of vehicle (Safari may do 2000 rpm at 100kmph, Innova may do 3000rpm at 100kmph for eg).

Compare it to the city, where, though car engines face greater stresses, dead load etc, they may run at lower rpm (1200-3000 rpm), again depending on the type of vehicle.

I know it may differ vehicle to vehicle, but what is overall more stressful, highway or city driving if we consider the rpm ranges the engines operate?
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 18:09   #143
BHPian

I have seen corsa's , astra's and vectra's with well over 1,70,000 miles and still doing good.

shame they were such a flop in india though..... May be, the after sale support and economy factors let it down...my odo shows 65K km( but the dealer sugests it has been tampered with as they did a service for 75K km in 2007 for the previous owner !) So my engine could be nearing the 1Lakh mark and the engine is still good.
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 19:47   #144
BHPian

Default City driving is more stressful

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
A comparison question here:

Most highway cruises may make an engine do 2000-3500 rpm constantly, depending on the type of vehicle (Safari may do 2000 rpm at 100kmph, Innova may do 3000rpm at 100kmph for eg).

Compare it to the city, where, though car engines face greater stresses, dead load etc, they may run at lower rpm (1200-3000 rpm), again depending on the type of vehicle.

I know it may differ vehicle to vehicle, but what is overall more stressful, highway or city driving if we consider the rpm ranges the engines operate?
I think city driving will always take greater toll on engine as there are always a number of starts and stops. A lot more power is spend in getting a stationary vehicle to roll. A parts of a vehicle on the move wil have lesser wear and tear because it would roll under its own inertia.
Maximum_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 09:22   #145
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
An engine is designed to cruise at speeds of 80-90 km/hr. This speed is in the mid-range of the engines capabilities. If the engine was given a maximum speed of 80-90km/hr, and you cruised at that speed, the engine would be working extremely hard and it's life would be significantly shortened.

By cruising in the mid-range, the engine working a lot easier. It's like a person can walk a lot further then he can run. I don't believe there is an "ideal" speed. There are too many variables here in India that involve road conditions, weather and driving habits.

Highway driving is better on engines than city driving. On the highway you are going at a steady speed, oil pressure is higher so internal engine parts are better protected and engine temperature is stable.

On the other hand, city driving is tough on cars. You are constantly accelerating and decelerating. You are constantly shifting up and down on the gears which accelerates wear and the engine idles lower reducing oil pressure and causing more wear on internal engine parts.

In short, engines like to cruise in their mid-range and will do that all day long.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:21   #146
BHPian

My M800 engine lasted 1.12 L Km's (its getting rebuilt now) before one of the cylinders started consuming oil (black deposits at the plugs).

Oil changes were regular (every 5K - Castrol GTX) but used to rev it a lot.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 21:06   #147
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
In short, engines like to cruise in their mid-range and will do that all day long.
But, then there are people like me, who love to stretch the engine's legs on the highway, taking it to the high end time and again.

So for me, highways consume more engine.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 08:43   #148
BHPian

Bolero Camper DI was introduced in March/April, 2002, not in 2006. I bought the vehicle on 01.07.2002.

Mahindra DI engines routinely do about 5 lakh kilometres with proper maintenance of lubricants and water in radiator.

I didnt even use a coolant.

The vehicle is being used for newspaper transport. Runs on NH -9. Four days of holidays per year, and may be another 10 days for maintenance. So, runs for 420 kilometres per day for 350 days a year.

I didnt change any part in propeller shaft till date. Gear box is yet to be opened. No maintenance of differential yet. The only regular maintenance is wheel bearings, to be changed about once in 3 months, fan belt, timing gears (they usually are damaged in about 2 lakh kilometres). I have changed radiator thrice. Oil change interval is 15 days.

The math part :- 350 days X 8 years = 2800 days X 420 km per day = 11,76,000 kilometres.

Thats why I am looking for a used Bolero with the DI non-turbo engine, 4 speed gearbox and front leaf suspension. These were sold from the middle of 2004 to 2006 along side the Bolero GLX/Sportz with Peugot engine. They were discontinued when Mahindra launched the revamped Bolero with Turbo DI engine.

I am ready to give the engine to Mahindra to keep it as a trophy, but before that I would have to give my Kawasaki 4S (1993) to Bajaj - did a cool 3 lakh kilometres before any major repair of sort.

Guys, no typos, no false claims. Even if Google doesnt show it, Bolero Campers are being sold since 2002.

My brother's 1993 800 had 30K on Odo ( in 2006). My 1993 KB 4S had run for 2.5 lakh kilometres in 2006. Any comparison?

Highway cruising is better for engine.

Last edited by simplyself : 27th August 2010 at 08:55.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 09:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

In an Indicab taxi I saw odometer at 1,78,000 KM talked to driver it was without any engine job.
Surprisingly the cabin was silent ( except the usual N.A. Engine noise) and there were no rattles etc.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 23:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In an Indicab taxi I saw odometer at 1,78,000 KM talked to driver it was without any engine job.
Surprisingly the cabin was silent ( except the usual N.A. Engine noise) and there were no rattles etc.
How can you be sure the same driver drove the Indica for 1.78 lac kms. The company changes driver, or driver changes the company quite often.

On average Indica is good for 70k kms, after which engine need a rebuilt, i am talking about the old 1.4 liter IDI not newer multijets.

I am a critic of Mahindra but its MDI engine lasts very long even if you fail to change oil at specified time. Starts with a single crank even in cold on a vehicle that has run 3 lac kms.

However same cannot be said about its Peugeot one. It fails to start with multiple heating in WInter, and heats up immensely in Summers.

m800 lasts over 2 lac kms if you don't try fancy stuff with it.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote