Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st April 2009, 15:12   #106
BHPian

our accent Crdi has clocked 128k on odo without any problem so faar.We use to change oil every 5000.Engine still performs like new..It all depends on how we maintain the engine.A small problem anywhere in the car should be sorted out immediately .
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 19:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Esteem - 3 Lac+ (without any overhaul or anything)
M800 - 2 Lac+ (without any overhaul or anything)
Alto - 1.03 lac and engine has gone kaput :(

In all the above the most cared one is Alto. Oil Change very 5K. Service every 10K. All my other friends who drove my car are always amazed with engine so refined and faster than their cars. Touching 130 from 1 roundabout to another where as their cars struggle to even touch 120. And still my engine gave up pfft!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 19:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

In all the above the most cared one is Alto. Oil Change very 5K. Service every 10K. All my other friends who drove my car are always amazed with engine so refined and faster than their cars. Touching 130 from 1 roundabout to another where as their cars struggle to even touch 120. And still my engine gave up pfft!
Engine gone kaput? But wasn't it fine around the time we had the last meet? Or it happened before that? And kaput means? Seized?!! at just 1.03 lac??!!
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 19:48   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

The Midbass of SAX and boom boom from the JBL in the boot
displaced the piston and rings in the cylinder
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 20:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Engine gone kaput? But wasn't it fine around the time we had the last meet? Or it happened before that? And kaput means? Seized?!! at just 1.03 lac??!!
It was fine when we met. Happened just last Saturday. Everything is fine under the hood. No overheating etc.

Check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ed-my-car.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The Midbass of SAX and boom boom from the JBL in the boot
displaced the piston and rings in the cylinder
if thats the case Akshay then "I am officially the Loudest in India" Looks like i need to Instigate JBL and BBW Distributors.

Just kidding guys!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 22:23   #111
BHPian

Post OHC 1.5 clocked 1.26L kms

My earlier car, OHC 1.5 clocked 1.26L kms in eight years.
Engine, gearbox, etc were good, but irritating problems like starting trouble, AC problems, etc made me sell it.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 00:25   #112
BHPian

Default 99,578

99,578kms as of today on my 5 speed 800. Keeping fingers crossed as I cross the magic figure.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:58   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd categorise the engine life of most Indian cars as follows. Of course, the upper limit is subject to regular maintenance (perfectly timed oil changes etc.) while some really well-maintained cars may even exceed the expected life. Mileage at which most of them require work / rebuild:

- Entry level petrols (800, Alto, Santro etc.) : 1.25 - 1.50 lakh kms

- Old school diesels (Indica, Indigo, Mahindra & Tata IDI's) : 0.9 - 1.5 lakh kms

- High end hatch petrols (i10, Swift etc.) : Easily over 1.75 - 2.25 lakh kms

- Modern common-rail diesels (MJD, TDCi etc.) : The jury is still out here, as most of our new age diesel cars haven't crossed a lakh. I'd expect them to last for atleast 2,00,000 kms, doubts only on the fuel injection system / pump's life. Exception : Toyota's Qualis & Innova engines are known to exceed 3.0 lakh without skipping a beat.

- DI diesels (Bolero, Sumo etc.) : 2.25 lakh at the minimum for a well-maintained DI. 3.0 lakh is not uncommon for highway DI's.

- City's, Corollas, Civics, Accords & Camrys : 2.5 - 3.5 lakh kms is a piece of cake (again, for those who have adhered to their maintenance schedules).

- High-end german diesels (C220, 320D, 520D etc.) : 3.0 lakh +. Though again, the life of the fuel injection system / pump is suspect, but the robust german diesels should easily go to near 3.0 lakh.

Some Chevy, Fiat, Hyundai & Tata petrol engines have a faster wear rate, and are hence an exception.

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2009 at 12:23. Reason: Adding comment
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:08   #114
Team-BHP Support

Slide -1 .O {color:white; font-size:149%;} a:link {color:#669900 !important;} a:active {color:#C7CDFD !important;} a:visited {color:#8CC800 !important;} Interesting.

Any idea on the life of the multijet ? How long has it been available in the international market ?

I guess its too early for us to judge the age under Indian conditions. The eldest I know of is a 100,000k run VDi.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:06   #115
BHPian

What about Lancer diesel?

Mine crossed 4.12 lakh , but still no starting problem, but i feel underpowered while in AC, and slight increase in roughness when in cold.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 10:01   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
to an extent, how long an engine lasts has to do with the break in process.
regular maintenance should keep a car running strong. our previous tata estate is still running with the second owner. it had 116K kilometers when it was sold.
I've seen a lot of talk about break-in processes, some saying take it easy, others say run the engine hard to seat the rings. But actual data from recent years? Haven't seen it. Would like to.
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
What about Lancer diesel?

Mine crossed 4.12 lakh , but still no starting problem, but i feel underpowered while in AC, and slight increase in roughness when in cold.
That's a phenomenal number!
I guess yes, some of the cars are renowned to wear out faster. The Camrys Corollas, Citys etc have excellent lifespan with their engines. Everytime i see the readings on the Odometers on Dubai Taxi's i get shocked surprised what not! Inspite of the really high numbers, they are imaculately maintained and the engines always seem to be in pristine condition!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 21:27   #118
BHPian

Hi,
I know a couple of guys owning private taxis ( maruti vans ) ferrying tourists around Goa.
Both claimed their vans have done about 9 lacs without needing an engine overhaul. Damn good conditions too considering the age .Both were of the first lots of flat roof vans from maruti. One of them had even changed the body and both a number of suspension overhauls due to the bad roads. Both drive quite fast for the narrow winding and mostly roughish roads.
Both dudes are nononsense guys and the amount they drive in a day doing a number of rounds from the airports to north goa beeches and south Goa temples in a day, its quite possible that they'd done that much travelling.
wonder with the original engine ?...

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 25th May 2009 at 21:28.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 22:18   #119
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My brother has done the following km on his vehicles
KB 100- 1.9 Lakh
Scooty-3 Lakh
Palio-1.3 Lakh
M800-2 Lakh

The KB is sold. All others are still in use. In fact I'm using the Palio these days. Engine is as smooth as ever. Ever the rest of the car is in great shape. No rattles.
I just heard from my friend that there's a Uno D with 6.5 Lakh km. I'll go and check it out next week to verify.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 22:43   #120

Default Santro-MPFI

Completed 85000kms....many more to go

Still remember the launching of Santro and reviews of MPFI engine---Can go till 300,000 -500,000 kms w/o overhauling in the days when MAruti 800 100,000 kms meant high time for overhauling

Another reason to buy Hyundai Santro
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote