Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th August 2004, 19:15   #1
BHPian

Hi,
Off late i am seeing so many cars and UVs (scorpios mostly) with very wide tyres and too much offset. some guys put spacers to get the jet out look. I was wondering what are the implications of putting alloys that jet outwards. Met one gentleman at a accessory store who said that the extra offset on the wheels improves his cornering/handling of the scorpio. does it?
-Chaxy
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 20:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (chaxy @ Aug. 19 2004,17:45)]Hi,
Off late i am seeing so many cars and UVs (scorpios mostly) with very wide tyres and too much offset. some guys put spacers to get the jet out look. I was wondering what are the implications of putting alloys that jet outwards. Met one gentleman at a accessory store who said that the extra offset on the wheels improves his cornering/handling of the scorpio. does it?
-Chaxy
Cornering/handling may improve but there is no proven test for that. Putting spacers may pose a different kinda problem (for total wheel balancing). One can balance the wheels but not the spacers. Jutting out wheels is a matter of look.
It'll be a case of sheer luck if the wheels are not transmitting vibration to steering wheel at high speed. Only probable way to balance a wheel with the spacer is to bolt the spacer on the wheel and then balance it.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 20:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

God help your wishbones and wheel bearings - more stress on them
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 21:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Well it could be said that extra offset = extra track = better stability (in theory).....
but, spacers are never a good idea.
Also with greater offset, the more "leverage" the road has to give you feedback, which is not really a good thing past a certain point and can be quite brutal at times. Not to mention that when you drive through deep standing water or go partially off the road to accomodate an oncoming bus the steering will pull majorly and will need you to keep a tight grip and be quick to give corrections.

Whether a less positive offset (ie more jutting out wheels) help the handling, well if differs from model to model and is usually a game of chance.

And as Ajmat said> using the law of moments, you are putting more stress on your wheel bearings.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey chaxy, in most of the jutting out scoprios i saw, they didnt use spacers, the alloy wheel(aura flower shape/mr flower shape/neo flower shape) were itself designed like that

aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 13:30   #6
BHPian

I got Aura alloys on my bolero from day 1 so i didnt have the chance to check out the difference in handling. These alloys have about 1" positive offset. but the other day when i went to service my car i drove another bolero without the alloys. i should say there was a marked difference. Firstly i felt the body roll was more in the other bolero(w/o alloys). The handling on the corners also was slightly nervous. So i guess with a sensible offset the handling and ride quality can be improved.
-Chaxy
Old 25th August 2004, 01:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

wont these extra large tires put more load on the axles.
and wat abt speedo readings
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 04:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (speedsatya @ Aug. 24 2004,23:42)]wont these extra large tires put more load on the axles.
Extra-large in what way? width or diameter?

R
Old 25th August 2004, 10:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

think he meant widht ie 255 or 265 in place of the std 235s,

now tell me one thing rehaan, if i put those flower shape/jutting out (without spacers) alloys on to my safari, the handling will be better??

asking coz i sold those bridgestones , now have shiny new michellin nxts 255 in size!!!!!!!!, that too the dealer offer: buy four get one free!!! so my dad took them

Old 25th August 2004, 16:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Aug. 25 2004,08:45)]now tell me one thing rehaan, if i put those flower shape/jutting out (without spacers) alloys on to my safari, the handling will be better??
I really cant comment on that.... as i have said it is a game of chance.
However, chances are that if you are making a change (provided its not ridiculous)...you will obviously notice a difference in the handling...... and you will believe that the handling has "improved"... regardless of which way it has changed

cya
R
Old 26th August 2004, 02:09   #11
BHPian

On the other hand the Jut out alloys/tyres have one serious drawback.. They will splash everything on the road onto the body sides. *It gets pretty nasty at times especially during rains. *
-Chaxy
Old 26th August 2004, 11:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey chaxy, what r the points to be looked into while buying a second hand bolero?? are you happy with urs?? what r the niggles u faced till now? what mileage r you getting? is it easy to drive in city?
woulkd you suggest a new buy rather? coz it's the only *jeep in the 5 lac range
Old 28th August 2004, 02:42   #13
BHPian

If you are looking for a bolero consider the bolero sports thats less than 5Laks. And Automotives give Aura alloys with it. 2nd hand boleros are generally badly abused.
I am quite happy with my car. I use it mostly in city and sometimes on long drives. Its surprisingly easy to drive in city bcoz of good low end torque. Very less NVH levels.
Gives me 10 in city and 13 on highways.
It can be repaired anywhere and spares are damn cheap.
Frankly i like the solid tank like feel of it..(to scare the autowallahs * )
On the downside, its not a gr8 hiway cruiser.loses breath after 100kmph. bumpy ride quality. cramped back seats.
If you get a 2nd hand look for the owner as these cars are generally owned by civil contractors... i am sure u got my point *
Old 28th August 2004, 15:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

yup got it!
i was just wondering wheter this wold be a good option rather than an open top jeep,
i prefered the glx as for 35k you get host a lot of features, plus automotive is giving me only four alloys, for the price which i can get five outside

lets see as it all depends on my dad