Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th August 2004, 18:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

if the input signals are wrong, for cars having warning lights it will glow, resetting is done so that all the system self check are done and caliibrating to normal parameters.. self check will usually happen at start up also.. on the fly.. it will depend on the system and the extend of malfunction (my guess).. no point in guessing and the best solution will be to get the whole system checked using proper equipment..
in ford ikon they have provided a reset button which need to be made use off in case of battery terminal being disconnected as well as in case of accidents when it will cut off the fuel supply to engine also... i found this out from the dealer when my car had injector problem..
again ECU should be covered under warranty if not tampered with.. and yes they are bloody expensive and usually are replaced as a whole unit.. havnt come across indian cars with plug in chips till date..
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 22:13   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Rehaan... I "think".... Iíll go with your first statement. "your ECU hangs" (unfortunately its not Microsoft, or else Ctrl + Shift + Esc)....
Or maybe some sensor malfunctions....

I somehow doubt.. that its very easy to diagnose (unless it goes permanently bad or is a common problem for Accent), but... wish u luck.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 23:30   #18
BHPian

im kinda confused .. if the ecu "hangs" lol assuming hangs means it doesnt do anything l.. then ideally when rehaan presses the accelerator pedal then he actually increses the air mass and if the ecu doesnt do anything then the mixture should run lean or in zero ecu activity there should be no fuel injected at all, why is the engine rpm maintained @ 2000 rpm then ?
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 23:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Aug. 17 2004,16:25)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ Aug. 17 2004,09:55)]yup Rehaan.. if any of the sensors/inputs malfunction, the ecu has to be rebooted..
Ahh....i did not know that....
makes sense, but doesnt seem like a very good procedure though!! :P
Is it neccessary to restart the ECU in all cars if there is a sensor malfunction? Or can some ECUs resume on the fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i got some chip changed as well. i forgot the name damn
Hey Jesal, plz try n think, or atleast tell me the cost involved.. was it not covered underwarranty? and dont you have a CRDi ??
(Still waiting for ur XDAII review btw)

cya
R
hey , sorry i dont think im doin the review netime soon now for the xda 2 since i dont have it now my dad uses it for now and i lost my 6600 so stuck. neways it was not in warranty. i paid under rs. 3000. there was a chip that the company changed dunno whts it called since u ppl know more bot engines and at it. so neways i have a 2001 Hyundai Accent (indian blue) GLS model. 30000 kms done.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 04:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Kinetik @ Aug. 17 2004,22:00)]im kinda confused .. if the ecu "hangs" lol assuming hangs means it doesnt do anything l.. then ideally when rehaan presses the accelerator pedal then he actually increses the air mass and if the ecu doesnt do anything then the mixture should run lean or in zero ecu activity there should be no fuel injected at all, *why is the engine rpm maintained @ 2000 rpm then ?
Hey Kinetic,

The first time it happened it got me by suprise and the needle seemed to stay at 2000Rpm and by that time i downshifted, so dont really think it was holding it there....maybe just seemed like it.

When i say ECU "hangs" i guess i mean ignition module doesnt seem to be active. Whether fuel is going in or not, i cannot say since there doesnt seem to be any spark! So i cannot say if the ECU has "hung" completely or just the ignition part has conked......
However, it could be the other way around as well, no fuel, but spark....and i still wldnt know....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ](unfortunately its not Microsoft, or else Ctrl + Shift + Esc)....
What OS is that SLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]30000 kms done.
Same here!... (well 27.5k-km)

Maybe this could this be due to the knock sensor failing? i heard that knock sensors are prone to premature failure in accents....?

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 10:57   #21
SLK
Senior - BHPian

hopefully u'l get to know the the problem and the solution today!

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>P.S. Sorry it is supposed to be Ctrl + Alt + Del only, but that doesn't seem to directly work for the purpose in Windows 2000 and other servers, it works even in XP.</span>

SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 13:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Aug. 18 2004,03:14)]However, it could be the other way around as well, no fuel, but spark....and i still wldnt know....lol
Well,

Just got my car back last nite. Had no problems with it for the last 2days before giving it to the service center, but gave it anyway.
Apparently there was a problem with one of the wires running to the fuel pump! ( or so they say ). Was repaired under warranty.

Also they took the liberty to change my sparkplugs and airfilter without informing me before doing so (and ofcourse charging me for it). This would be fine under normal circumstances, but this should have been done(/probably was done) at the 20k free service, and my car has only done 28k now!! [img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]

Didnt get to hear their crappy reason since i went to pick up the car after hours. Anyway, not a big deal.... new plugs and airfilter are always a good thing for the car.

cheers
R
Old 19th August 2004, 14:30   #23
Team-BHP Support

so it was afterall the loose wiring playing havoc.. good that they sorted it out.. hey did u enquire why this doesnt come up on the engine warning light (assuming accent has dont remember correct).. my ikon doesnt have lol..
Old 19th August 2004, 14:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hey Jaggu,

The exact words were &quot;fuel pump ka ek wire jal gaya hai&quot;.

Why this didnt come up in the engine warning light.... ummm... coz this aint no S-class
I guess the engine warning light only functions for stuff like low brake fluid, etc, and MAYBE for recognised major ECU errors (which i doubt this was?...?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]).. my ikon doesnt have lol..
Doesnt the handbrake light function as the warning light as well? Im pretty sure there would be a warning light to tell u if your brake fluid was low......

cya
R

ps - just found this pic...thanks to Revv for taking it..... notice the engine warning light and handbrake light are the same thing, but two icons (P) &amp; (!)

Old 19th August 2004, 15:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

isnt it parking brake ON and brake fluid/pad warning/failure light? refer manual.. am lil confused.. honda,maruti mpfi vehicles, mercs have a seperate yellow warning light for engine/ecu warning
Old 19th August 2004, 15:25   #26
Team-BHP Support

whats that light on the extreme right ?? is it for oil? cant make out from that pic though....! I thought your cam had one of em auto vibration cancelers (doh...forgot the name )
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 15:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

yup oil i guess, then batt/charging then brake then seat belt or door warning R to L
Old 19th August 2004, 16:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ Aug. 19 2004,13:42)]isnt it parking brake ON and brake fluid/pad warning/failure light? refer manual..
Yup..primarily parking brake on light.

Pretty sure its the brake fluid low light as well...
but, pad warning...i dont think the accent has those.
failure light.....umm..what failure?

I know of the warning light you speak of... the ! in the yellow triangle..... the accent dont have that (to the best of my knowledge!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]cant make out from that pic though....! I thought your cam had one of em auto vibration cancelers (doh...forgot the name )
Lol, IS = Image Stabilization.
Yeah.....but Revv took the photo :P.. must have been jumping with joy to be in the drivers seat of my car...lol

As Jaggu said&gt;
L&gt;R Door ajar, Handbrake/Brakefluid warning, Alternator, Oil.

There is a seatbelt warning light in there i think...but i dont think its wired up in india.

cya
R
Old 19th August 2004, 17:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

i meant brake failure as in with cars equipped ABS, and yes the orange ligt with engine emblem
Old 19th August 2004, 19:32   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Aug. 16 2004,15:09)]Hey Guys,

A couple of days ago i was driving along marine drive in 4th gear at about 2000RPM and the accelerator pedal just went dead....
Again last nite i was driving along marine drive at exactly the same place, 2000Rpm again, and the same thing happened!

Then once again on my way home it just died,
Switched off, started up...all fine again.

Happened once more at worli sea face.
Looks like Bermuda triangle has shifted it's activity zone.

Hey Rehaan, that city is engulfed in moisture during monsoon... I'm not surprised of this kinda malfunction. Before finguring anything ask your service station to check if it's a moisture issue.

Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote