Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th September 2004, 21:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

200Hp and a 1/4th mile in just 13.5s@190kmph pretty true.But the 190kmph thing is a little doubtful.I guess around 160kmph/170kmph should sound better though.
Clear out doubts Karan.
Cya.

X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 15:08   #32
BHPian

Hi,
These car were not ready at the time on the mumbai drag in march,but they now ready for the drag in delhi some time in Oct.
When i drove the the blue city(14.9),there r few things i realised.
1)My reaction time was 1 sec(Very bad),say i get a reaction time of .6
2) At the finishline i was doing 160 something in 3 gear with the rpm at 6500(rev limit not removed)

Tires would would be a very imp choice.14"is sure but the size is some thing i still have to think about.

[quote]Say 100bhp (stock1.5) +5bhp(freeflow) +5bhp(k&n) +35bhp(turbo) =145bhp.....something like that?

if i am running a turbo there is no free flow,a K&N filter does not give u 5 hp alone

The blue car(vtec) was only .7 sec slower that the S2000 which ran with NOS,but the nos was not set up right.Surly i was not going to tell Mr Shinghania that!

Karan
KS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 16:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (KS Motorsport @ Sep. 06 2004,13:38)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Say 100bhp (stock1.5) +5bhp(freeflow) +5bhp(k&n) +35bhp(turbo) =145bhp.....something like that?
if i am running a turbo there is no free flow,a K&N filter does not give u 5 hp alone
Indeed. So how are the HP figures estimated then?

Why dont you invest in a Gtech pro competition model? im sure that would help quite a bit with the fine tuning of your cars...

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 19:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]At the finishline i was doing 160 something in 3 gear with the rpm at 6500(rev limit not removed)
Have you changed the gear ratios in the car, for the stock form doesn't even hit 150kmph in 3rd. The Vtec can manage around 147-150.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 02:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 04 2004,03:24)]Hey oversteer,

I believe this is also known as a "ram air".
And ram air kits are available for a lot of cars.
Thanks for the info. Any idea how much of a difference does it make? And isn't there a risk of stuff like leaves, dirt, stones, twigs, etc. getting "rammed" into your engine because of the exposed air intake? I'm asking 'cause (1) I saw a dude with a ram air kit (no fancy K&N filter, mind you) on a Zen at the *AutoCross* and (2) he didn't post very impressive timings... so, worth slitting open?
oversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 03:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 04 2004,15:17)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Sep. 04 2004,10:06)]what material is the bonnet of that city made of?
Looks like some kind of metal sheeting with holes to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]what are the advantages and disadvantages of such a bonnet??
Well an advantage would be that its lighter.
And then what it does to the aerodynamics, airflow and thermodynamic efficeincy of the engine and cooling system is quite a debatable point.
Folks, looks like CF (Carbon Fibre) to me...as seen in Brian's green Eclipse in "The Fast and the Furious" and also a series of body mods in "NFS Underground". Sheet with holes will expose the engine and probably *increase* drag because the air will start going into the hood, instead of gracefully flowing over it.
Advantages of CF I can think of are [obviously] light weight and probably better heat dissipation (?). I also agree with v12 - it could be a special hood only used for the drags... in which case it could really be perforated sheet, after all
oversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 04:01   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (oversteer @ Sep. 07 2004,01:21)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 04 2004,03:24)]ram air
isn't there a risk of stuff like leaves, dirt, stones, twigs, etc. getting "rammed" into your engine because of the exposed air intake?
I'd assume there would be an air filter somewhere down the line!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I'm asking 'cause (1) I saw a dude with a ram air kit (no fancy K&N filter, mind you) on a Zen at the *AutoCross* and (2) he didn't post very impressive timings... so, worth slitting open?
Well you cant really judge a system on one car (and drivers) performance!!
Its a kind of forced induction... if designed well i would imagine it would have its benefits especially at high speeds (air being pushed in with more force).

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Folks, looks like CF (Carbon Fibre) to me
Nope, im pretty sure its a perforated metal sheet. Not to mention that he would have probably needed some industrial machinery to cut and bend the bonnet the way it is near the K&N if it was carbonfibre!.... and also...carbon fibre doesnt really look like that.

cya
R
Old 7th September 2004, 12:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

I think the hood is actually fibre glass. He probably got a mould made with the original hood, then went ahead and made that one. Also, its only on for events I guess as I've never seen the car on the street with that hood.

Rt
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 15:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Sep. 07 2004,10:30)]I think the hood is actually fibre glass.
Thats interesting....but i really doubt it....

Look at the pic... im pretty convinced its metal!!
Theres no way fibreglass wld cut&fold like that for the K&N.
Plus, its got holes!

Would some1 who was there and got a look at this please confirm!

cya
R
Old 7th September 2004, 16:08   #40
Team-BHP Support

screw all this guesswork! I'll just ask him next time I see him!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 16:14   #41
Team-BHP Support

Also dont forget to tell him abt TBHP!!!
Old 7th September 2004, 16:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

it is metal, goto a good hardware shop n u will find it, i had used similar sheet while building my home amp for ventilation window and painted it dull black ala with vacum cleaner
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 17:59   #43
Tom
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 04 2004,17:14)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (KS Motorsport @ Sep. 04 2004,13:02)]* *I dont have a dyno,but the hondas with out NOS should be about 145-150hp and after turbo and NOS over 200hp for sure.
Hi Karan,

May i ask how you came to those figures? Im guessing the figures were reached in a purely academic way since you dont have access to a dyno?

Say 100bhp (stock1.5) +5bhp(freeflow) +5bhp(k&n) +35bhp(turbo) =145bhp.....something like that?

Dont you think the HP figures are a bit optimistic?

cheers
R
Rehaan try to do some research on the 1.3 suzuki swift cars running turbo's. you will be amazed to hear what kinda additional BHP the turbo charging provides.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 23:29   #44
BHPian

hey karan, can u tell me wether its possible to get a turbo done on my accent nd wat will be the hp increase ill get i already have a muffler one tat i got from kailash.
libre sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 01:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Sep. 07 2004,14:38)]screw all this guesswork! I'll just ask him next time I see him!
plllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee eee

and also could u ask the guy who did,it does he does forother cars too??? and how much did it cost him? and what r the advantages and disadvantages
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote