Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th September 2004, 19:30   #1
BHPian

Just went for the routine service of my zen (carb)
My car was feeling little sluggish and was on higher side of consuming fuel. This is what i explained
to front guy and with little other general issues.

Well he advised me that the engine needs to be cleaned and treated with Bardhal additives (Maruti recommended)

The process:

1. Draining of engine oil
2. Filling it with Bardhal washer fluid concentrate.
3. Running the engine for about 15 minutes.
4. Flushing out fluid which would also remove the carbon deposits / minute particles etc.
5. Filling the Bardhal engine oil treatment and then the engine oil.

Well its being three days now, and the car definitely feels better . My questions are :

1. In what ways these treatments work or really help ?
2. What is the life cycle of such treatments ?
3. Would you recommend one ? Pls. put your reasons.
4. Any other specific brands which you have used and are reliable.

Well from service center point of view, I did came to know that the service engineer is being paid some commission when he manages to include such products in service of the vehicle.

Tarun
Tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 19:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I had read once on a Mobil 1 website that using engine treatments such as Bardahl is a strict no-no.

But a friend who builds engines says that Bardahl is okay for old and tired engines. A strict no-no again for new engines.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 21:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 17 2004,18:10)]But a friend who builds engines says that Bardahl is okay for old and tired engines.
read on a merc forum, that such treatments musnt be done on old cars, coz the carbon deposits seal some areas,and have resulted in old engines conking off after such treatments

"Of course, like most things nowadays, there's a condition attached when using flushing oils. In an old engine you really don't want to remove all the deposits. Some of these deposits help seal rings, lifters and even some of the flanges between the heads, covers, pan and the block, where the gaskets are thin. I have heard of engines with over 280,000km that worked fine, but when flushed it failed in a month because the blow-by past the scraper ring(now really clean)contaminated the oil and screwed the rod bearings. "

the above thing was even given in the link provided by rehaan abt automotive oils
link

aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2004, 14:56   #4
BHPian

thanks Aadix for putting that. Quite a bunch of knowledge out there.

Tarun
Old 18th September 2004, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

no need to thank me tarun, credit goes to rehaan . learnt a lot from that site
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2004, 17:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tarun @ Sep. 17 2004,18:00)]Just went for the routine service of my zen (carb)
My car was feeling little sluggish and was on higher side of consuming fuel. This is what i explained
to front guy and with little other general issues.

Well he advised me that the engine needs to be cleaned and treated with Bardhal additives (Maruti recommended)

The process:

1. Draining of engine oil
2. Filling it with Bardhal washer fluid concentrate.
3. Running the engine for about 15 minutes.
[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img] hey tarun,
washer fluid in engine???
it must be an engine flush.
i have used bahrdahl engine oil additive in my zen once with the maruti genuine engine oil,and i did feel my car becoming smooth.but dunno abt the facts.
maybe u cud feel the differnce in older cars.

i use bahrdahl gear oil additive with gear oil,bahrdahl radiator conditioner with the coolant,and bahrdahl injector cleaner with the fuel.but engine oil is Mobil 1.
dunno if all this really helps ,but have been using.
but watever u use ,just stick to ur recommended drain intervals.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2004, 17:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tarun @ Sep. 17 2004,18:00)]Well from service center point of view, I did came to know that the service engineer is being paid some commission when he manages to include such products in service of the vehicle.

Tarun
its quite expensive when u buy it from a car dealer or showroom.instead u can get it foir cheaper rates from car accessory shops.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 18:11   #8
BHPian

Quote :washer fluid in engine???
it must be an engine flush.

Well thats what the description on the bill says, dont exactly remember what was written on the can.

Quote :maybe u cud feel the differnce in older cars.

Yeps there is deifnate improvement. A light pedal is enough to accelerate. I could notice the difference. This is the first time that I have used additives and that only in engine. So far gear shift is smooth and no mechanic reported anything about the radiator conditioner. So far satisfied. I ve been using MGO only (as per ecommended intervals) and have not switched to Mobil or Castrol etc.

Quote :ts quite expensive when u buy it from a car dealer or showroom.instead u can get it foir cheaper rates from car accessory shops.

My prices were (INR) :
WASHER FLUID CONCENTRATE 11.29/-
ENGINE FLUSHING 650/-
OIL TREATMENT 370/-

Tarun

[i]