Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th January 2017, 22:00   #31
BHPian

Talking Re: Buying & restoring a Chennai flood-damaged Hyundai Getz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
The turning radius is also very good actually. It is better than Maruti 800 and maybe a bit better than the swift and figo. As good as a honda city.

Care to explain, mate??
baby_antu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 23:43   #32
BANNED

Default Re: Buying & restoring a Chennai flood-damaged Hyundai Getz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Just got the car. Drove it from Noida to Gurgaon.

1)While the engine performance was good, the nvh levels were *much higher than normal*. There was too much vibration and a constant drone, especially between 1000rpm and 2500rpm. The vibrations can easily be felt on the dashboard.

However it reduces when I coast in neutral, but still there.

What could be the problem? Engine mounts or clutch?
Request the help of getz experts, @aveem ashfaq, @ dark.knight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
...........The only thing is the vibrations and loudness felt inside, specifically between 1000-2000rpm so I also think it is the engine mounts.The sad part is that is where most of the driving takes place.

........... But it seems like at 20-30 thousand has to go in to a car worth ~50k which isn't worth it IMO

Once again thank you for your insights.
Firstly, congratulations on the car. It is a good car as you might have noticed.

Vibrations at idle are filtered out by the engine mounts, no doubt about it. But the vibrations take place because of abnormalities. When one cylinder produces less power than the others, the smoothness of the engine dies. Changing engine mounts is like putting ear plugs because of loud noises emanating from the engine. I suggest you do the following cheap diagnostics first.

1. Get the engine compression test done. Sometimes, piston rings get worn out and the energy leaks out through them. So, one cylinder produces less power and the result is vibrations. The test is simple. Your garage must be able to do that. They pull out the spark plug, attach a pressure gauge and ask you to crank the engine to see how much pressure is generated. All values must be consistent with one another. If they are not consistent, there is major engine repair work to be done and reject the car.

2. Get the fuel lines cleaned. When an injector is clogged up and squirts less amount of fuel, less power is produced and hence the vibration. There are number of fuel injector cleaners available online for around 500rs. Empty a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into fuel tank, run it for a couple of days. The solvent inside fuel injector cleaner dissolves all the junk in the injectors, fuel lines etc and makes everything work well. I have personally tried ABRO diesel fuel injector cleaner for my petrol maruti 800 and it works. I am about to make a video about it soon and post it on my youtube channel.

3. Change the spark plugs and inspect HT leads. If the spark plugs are not working properly, they might ignite the mixture improperly causing vibrations. Replace the spark plugs and inspect the wires leading to them. There was this test that they used to do on maruti 800 to see if the wires were all good. They unplugged one lead at a time. A maruti engine can still idle on 2 cylinders instead of the usual 3 cylinders. If all was well, unplugging any wire would still let the car run. But, if there was a faulty wire and one good wire is unplugged, the engine would die off. You can follow similar procedure in the Getz as well.

Of course we need to inspect the belts, change engine oil but those things make the engine sound rough and tractor-like but not give vibrations. And belt hitting against the walls of something is noticeable in tup-tup-tup kind of noises. I can tell you more particular details if you can post a video or describe how it exactly feels. Is it like a juddering or screeching noise or just sound or knocking noise or what?

If nothing turns up in these tests, then it is certainly the problem of engine mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_antu View Post

Care to explain, mate??
The turning circle radius of Getz is very good. If you take one of those narrow two lane country roads and want to do a U-turn in it, the 3.3 meter long maruti 800 needs a three point turn. That is turn in, reverse and then complete the turn. Whereas in the 3.8 meter long Getz, you can simply do the U-turn. So, the wheels turn much more in Getz than in maruti 800. I have observed similar turn-in in Honda city 4th gen. But it is not so good in swift or figo or ecosport.

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 11th January 2017 at 23:47.
aveemashfaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 00:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:

The turning circle radius of Getz is very good. If you take one of those narrow two lane country roads and want to do a U-turn in it, the 3.3 meter long maruti 800 needs a three point turn. That is turn in, reverse and then complete the turn. Whereas in the 3.8 meter long Getz, you can simply do the U-turn. So, the wheels turn much more in Getz than in maruti 800. I have observed similar turn-in in Honda city 4th gen. But it is not so good in swift or figo or ecosport.

Turning radius of the cars mentioned by you-

Maruti 800- 4.4m
Getz- 5m
Honda City- 5.4m
Ford Figo-4.9m
Swift-4.8m

I guess the 800, Swift and Figo still have a better turning radius than the Getz. Atleast the numbers show that.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:50   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Turning radius of the cars mentioned by you-

Maruti 800- 4.4m
Getz- 5m
Honda City- 5.4m
Ford Figo-4.9m
Swift-4.8m

I guess the 800, Swift and Figo still have a better turning radius than the Getz. Atleast the numbers show that.
Yes, number show that. But in real life things are different. There are various methods of calculating the turning circle radius. The most popular being that the radius of the front outermost wheel when taking a turn taking the rear wheel as center. So, when taking a full turn, the circle drawn by maruti 800 is lower than the one drawn by getz. But, the length of getz is longer and so the turn is obviously longer. When you make the drivers seat as the center of rotation and not the rear end of the car, you will find that the numbers are altered a lot. That is where the getz trumps over maruti.

In real world terms, this translates as, if you are doing a full circle in a parking lot or taking a u-turn on an undivided narrow road, the maruti is tighter to take turns. But when you are at divider taking a right or left turn, or you have aligned yourself to divider and are taking the U-turn, the center of rotation is in the drivers seat and then you will see the magic. Getz makes a tighter quarter turn than maruti.

Anyways, the getz is munching miles like a dream. Smooth engine, good performance, reliable as well. I have a few doubts which I hope dark.knight or some other getz owner may shed light. What is your mileage figure? I keep getting around 15 kmpl on state highways fully loaded fully AC ON. In all fairness, petrol cars and traffic filled roads is a recipe for disaster. I got 18 kmpl on an empty Hyderabad ORR, fully loaded and fully AC ON. Is that at par with your experience or do I need to pay attention?

Also, on state highways, and after long stretches of sitting behind lorries for 10-15 minutes in 3rd gear with AC ON and fully loaded, the engine seems to be heating up. It is not alarming or crossing the upper dot but there is some heating. After this, the throttle response is dull. Is it the same with you or is there something wrong with my car?

Hoping to be enlightened. Here is the customary photo of my getz cooling down under a tree in my mango garden after long stint of running and chasing cars on highways.
Buying & restoring a Chennai flood-damaged Hyundai Getz!-20170514-12.23.16.jpg

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th May 2017 at 04:45. Reason: Corrected some punctuation, grammar and spelling errors. Please proof-read before posting, thanks.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2017, 01:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, number show that. But in real life things are different. There are various methods of calculating the turning circle radius. The most popular being that the radius of the front outermost wheel when taking a turn taking the rear wheel as center. So, when taking a full turn, the circle drawn by maruti 800 is lower than the one drawn by getz. But, the length of getz is longer and so the turn is obviously longer. When you make the drivers seat as the center of rotation and not the rear end of the car, you will find that the numbers are altered a lot. That is where the getz trumps over maruti.
You can calculate from any reference point which catches your fancy, but for any practical purpose, if Car A completes a U turn in a given area and Car B doesn't, then that is what matters: Car A has a better turning radius. It's immaterial to think about which car is long, what is the IAOR(Instantaneous Axis of Rotation, a widely popular term in Rotational Mechanics), in which direction wind is blowing, and other pointless factors.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by sumitsinha0280 : 24th May 2017 at 01:47.
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 05:51   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post
You can calculate from any reference point which catches your fancy, but for any practical purpose, if Car A completes a U turn in a given area and Car B doesn't, then that is what matters: Car A has a better turning radius. It's immaterial to think about which car is long, what is the IAOR(Instantaneous Axis of Rotation, a widely popular term in Rotational Mechanics), in which direction wind is blowing, and other pointless factors.

Just my two cents.
I don't want it to look like I am dragging the topic along, but let me tell you what happens. When I am trying to make a U-turn in front of my house, the maruti executes a tighter turn due to it's smaller turning radius. But when I have to take a U-turn at a place with fat dividers, getz takes the turn faster than my maruti. That is what I experience everyday in my driving.

Another typical scenario where the Getz trumps over maruti is when you are stuck behind a bus which is unloading passengers. You take a full lock of steering to the right to merge into the right lane. Then, getz feels like a breeze taking the turn faster whereas in maruti, the turn does not feel any tight at all.

And the best place where I see physically note the difference is when I am doing a reverse parallel parking manoeuvre. The steering angle of maruti is lesser than the getz from lock to lock. It is because of the short length of maruti that it manages to have a small turning circle but when you do a reverse parallel park, you will understand the steering angle and it's significance. Perhaps I will make a video on it if I am not lazy.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 17:09   #37

Quote:

Also, on state highways, and after long stretches of sitting behind lorries for 10-15 minutes in 3rd gear with AC ON and fully loaded, the engine seems to be heating up. It is not alarming or crossing the upper dot but there is some heating. After this, the throttle response is dull. Is it the same with you or is there something wrong with my car?

Hoping to be enlightened. Here is the customary photo of my getz cooling down under a tree in my mango garden after long stint of running and chasing cars on highways.
Attachment 1641062
@Aveemashfaq, though I have sold my Getz recently, from my 9 years of ownership, I can say that the engine heating that you are seeing is not normal, nor is the dulling of the throttle response. I had never seen the engine temp indicator moving once it reached its normal "hot" point. You might want to check if something is indeed wrong. Could be the cooling system, or coolant level (though you might have already checked that).
sdasgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 07:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:

In real world terms, this translates as, if you are doing a full circle in a parking lot or taking a u-turn on an undivided narrow road, the maruti is tighter to take turns. But when you are at divider taking a right or left turn, or you have aligned yourself to divider and are taking the U-turn, the center of rotation is in the drivers seat and then you will see the magic. Getz makes a tighter quarter turn than maruti.

Those numbers are there for a reason, they are not just "numbers". They are tested on real-life scenarios and not through drawings.
If you find the Getz taking a longer turn then it's the higher turning radius & not the length. Please stop confusing readers through your baseless observations. An open forum doesn't really mean that you can discard facts and put up counter points on the basis of some random observation. I am sure the OEM's factor in the length of the car while deciding the turning radius.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 14:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdasgupta View Post
@Aveemashfaq,
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Those numbers are there for a reason
Gentlemen, Aveemashfaq status shows as banned. No point quoting/replying to him.
Do not expect replies.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote