Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th March 2016, 18:24   #61
BHPian

With unreliability on one side, the big problem with VW is owning up their mistake.

Not only in India (TDI injector issue), even back in their home (Germany) VW has the same problem with their customers. Its about timing chain issue in 1.4 TSI engines in European market . It is very well known that the timing chain part that comes with this engine is faulty and at anytime can go kaput and may lead to engine cease in worst cases. But VW didn't accept their fault and the owners have to replace the part at their own cost even after the same issue was reported by lot of customers across Europe. My colleague who owns Sirocco with this engine told that he talked to VW customer care and they refused to replace it under warranty or goodwill. He replaced this part at his own cost (1000€!) even though he didn't face any issue to avoid any big catastrophe at later stage. He told me that his next would never be from VW stable.

I agree VW makes very nice cars with new technologies and even I'm a big fan of VW. But at the end of the day customer satisfaction matters a lot because it is customer who pays for the product.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2016, 18:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The red Polo with the alloys looks really damn cool even standing still, but I won't be able to buy it now!
DB Sir, I respect your opinion. Though I will still urge you to have a test drive of Polo GT TSi and know for yourself what true quality, performance and even reliability as well is like. Indian manufacturers no matter how reliable their products be but do not reek of quality interiors, fitting & finish and structural rigidity quality. I rather be in a VW than in a tin box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I have clocked 10000 kms in my car which will become 1 year old next month, (I don't name it for obvious reason, and it has black interiors) and I am extremely happy with it, not a single issue. Period!
Well you can name the car sir, even if its company owned. Also my car Vento never gave any trouble till 3 years of ownership and only major trouble was seen in 4th year with injectors which had been long sorted.

So comparing the 1st year only, its as reliable as your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Kiran/ others in the know:
How about Ventos manufactured in late 2012 (month??) and later? Are they more reliable, and if so, what did VW change in these cars?
There have been lot of changes with respect to revision in components used. To name a few, injectors, rubber door seal, seat frames, boot lock mechanism, etc. These I know since they were replaced under extended warranty or company issued recall.

The cars are reliable. The problem arises when the workshop people are incompetent at solving niggling issues.

If you own one, no need to worry. If you wish to purchase one second hand, get one which has extended warranty and complete service history.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 02:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
To summarize the total spend on the car till date:

1st service: 9097
2nd service: 10376
Injector breakdown: 7859
3rd service: 17404
2nd breakdown: 8855
3rd breakdown: 7819

TOTAL: Rs. 61410/-
Trying to understand the overall situation Kiran.

This post is an overall attempt to break-down your relative's problem and see if there is a pattern across all Vento owners as the thread heading kind of indicates.

Servicing Schedules:

Purchase/delivery date: 29th Nov 2010

First service: Feb 2012
Gap: 14+ months
Kms: 11k

Second service: Dec 2013
Gap: 22 months
Kms: 25k (+14k)

Third service: Dec 2014
Gap: 12 months
Kms: 41k (+16k)

Fourth service: Mar 2016
Gap: 16 months
Kms: 60k (+19k)

I see some blaring gaps and mis-management of the servicing schedules, a few are minor and can be excused. But it kind of puts a question on how proper has the car been handled over the years. Again just validating based on the data shared.

Dealer (BUBhandari) Issues: Thankfully your relative's vehicle has been serviced at BU Bhandari which overall has a decent feedback across the forum. Many of the VW dealers across the country are hardly any good, as is the case of the other dealership in Pune, Vidyut Motors.

However, I didn't find much of a dealership-based problem in your posts. Listing out the points as I found them

1. They didn't handle the injector advisory and instead charged your relative the cost of the injectors.
2. Didn't see any 'extras' being sold on any of the servicing schedules; that's the general experience at BUB.
3. Didn't see any points on the dealer taking more than expected delays in fixing issues.
4. Didn't see any warranty claims being declined; infact I see the steering rack, seat frame and a few other warranty claims being acted on in some of your bills.
5. Service advisor creating a problem where there wasn't? Not clear. Did all the parts issues originate from your family? Or was any of the parts to be changed was raised by the SA (possibly to rake up the bill)

Volkswagen Issues: It's here your relative has had cause to worry

1. Parts reliability - injectors, radiator/condensor frame, turbo hose, EGR
2. High cost of replacement

Point one is a cause of worry - VW's overall handling of the injector issue is a extremely shoddy job. In fact my own Vento's a ticking timebomb on that matter; anyday one of the injectors is bound to go kaput.

Didn't realize the radiator frame and turbo hose was a common issue, I guess there are a few more owners with that issue.

Question - out of the 100+ Vento & Polo tbhp owners (clearly we have more on that forum), how many have had radiator frame and turbo hose issues? Or the EGR issue? Trying to see if this is a common issue affecting a good share of the cars or a few individual cases. I see a few cases only; would be really appreciative if the opposite can be confirmed.

Point two is very well known fact, and nothing new that came with the Vento or Polo. I can give you more personal examples - each of the tail lamp costs 5k+, the entire housing has to be changed even if you just break one outer part of it. Done it twice in my case. And so on.
Unfortunately that's a problem that existed before the Ventos and Polos came up with most European cars and I don't see it going away.

And after market parts hardly exist in India, so the dealers' exorbitant costs have to be experienced.

My own costs (from 2011 till date) are around 10-11k a month - the majority of it going in service cost (~9k). And if I remember Noopster/Anoop, Mikon/Gautam, Bala, El lobo and the other regulars who were some of the earliest Vento owners on the forum, this was an average annual cost across the forum.

So I really don't see much of a difference of your relative's 60k bill over 5 years that big a difference. High across all brands? YES! He should have thought well or consulted you before buying a VW. Or if I understand correctly, since he's connected with VW (the organization) and should know better.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th March 2016 at 03:09.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 07:36   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not only in India (TDI injector issue), even back in their home (Germany) VW has the same problem with their customers. Its about timing chain issue in 1.4 TSI engines in European market .
Interesting that the 20L+ Polo GT Tsi is said to be coming with the same engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I see some blaring gaps and mis-management of the servicing schedules, a few are minor and can be excused. But it kind of puts a question on how proper has the car been handled over the years. Again just validating based on the data shared.
Agreed. My brother sails most times of the year and that puts the servicing schedules out of the window. I know this is no excuse but that's what the reality is. On the flipside, an unused car with the km range still being under schedule I believe it works ok.

Quote:
Dealer (BUBhandari) Issues: Thankfully your relative's vehicle has been serviced at BU Bhandari which overall has a decent feedback across the forum. Many of the VW dealers across the country are hardly any good, as is the case of the other dealership in Pune, Vidyut Motors.
Not anymore. Look at the estimate and you'll know why. They have started sneaking in unwanted stuff. Like for example, during third service, they simply replaced the rear shock pads without even driving the car. Any idea how the deduced that they needed replacement? Or is it common occurrence on Ventos?

Quote:
However, I didn't find much of a dealership-based problem in your posts. Listing out the points as I found them

1. They didn't handle the injector advisory and instead charged your relative the cost of the injectors.
2. Didn't see any 'extras' being sold on any of the servicing schedules; that's the general experience at BUB.
3. Didn't see any points on the dealer taking more than expected delays in fixing issues.
4. Didn't see any warranty claims being declined; infact I see the steering rack, seat frame and a few other warranty claims being acted on in some of your bills.
5. Service advisor creating a problem where there wasn't? Not clear. Did all the parts issues originate from your family? Or was any of the parts to be changed was raised by the SA (possibly to rake up the bill)
Did I say it is a dealer problem? The title of this thread is about unreliable Ventos from 2010 - 2012 in particular based on what I see and what many other bhpians as well as customers have reported. However, it still is a dealer problem if:

1) They charged me for the injectors when it should have been a clear cut warranty replacement.

2) Check the latest estimate and there are extras. Two items for brake oil in one estimate, etc.

3) Each time the car broke down on the street, it took atleast 3-4 days to get it back. In the current scenario, it's been a week.

4) Steering rack??? Where did you see that? Seat frame replacement has been charged for labour. Please recheck.

5) Suspension bushes as mentioned above.

I don't know how ethical it was to charge for injectors which show a very very common sign of failure in this generation of Ventos.

Quote:
Didn't realize the radiator frame and turbo hose was a common issue, I guess there are a few more owners with that issue.

Question - out of the 100+ Vento & Polo tbhp owners (clearly we have more on that forum), how many have had radiator frame and turbo hose issues? Or the EGR issue? Trying to see if this is a common issue affecting a good share of the cars or a few individual cases. I see a few cases only; would be really appreciative if the opposite can be confirmed.
If owners were the problem for condenser frame replacements, then why were later generation Ventos raised from the ground? Was it a product problem? Initial batch of Puntos and Lineas came with a solid armored plate under the engine to protect it from damage due to their low ground clearance. How many Puntos ended up with broken engine components due to a design flaw? Secondly, our car did NOT bottom out on the front overhang. I have a theory (unproven) that it breaks due to flex and not because it took a hit.

Quote:
My own costs (from 2011 till date) are around 10-11k a month - the majority of it going in service cost (~9k). And if I remember Noopster/Anoop, Mikon/Gautam, Bala, El lobo and the other regulars who were some of the earliest Vento owners on the forum, this was an average annual cost across the forum.
Anoop owns a Petrol Vento and it seems that it is relatively easier to maintain. I disagree that you say El Lobo's car has had a similar average cost for maintenance. Please relook at his experiences and breakdown in the middle of nowhere. But despite that he feels it is still a good product. This to me is a perception problem. It also depends on how much you love a product as against be objective about it.

I am scared to believe that VW owners are heading the Fiat way. It is ok to assume that your car is flawless even though, it leaves you stranded on the road. The cost of replacements are 50-60% of the resale value. There is little or no acknowledgement whatsoever from the parent company. A bad product experience can be turned around. Seen the XUV? They had severe engine troubles in the initial batches. Mahindra accepted their mistake and honored all warranty claims. Result is that they still consistently sell over 3000 units a month.

VW is fast losing market share in India. Dipping sales also translates to less load at workshops. At one instance, you had weeks of waiting to get an appointment in BU Bhandari, now you can just walk in. How do you keep your returns high with lower sales volumes? Milk existing customers. This is my assumption and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Do also see this link. You'd probably understand the gravity of the issue.

So I really don't see much of a difference of your relative's 60k bill over 5 years that big a difference. High across all brands? YES! He should have thought well or consulted you before buying a VW. Or if I understand correctly, since he's connected with VW (the organization) and should know better.[/quote]

The bill will be 120k over 5 years. 2x of what you assumed it is. Even if we were to spend that amount, there is the diesel pump, other three injectors and a host of various other components waiting to fail. It seems to me that you haven't read my post entirely. I don't understand where you saw me saying that my brother is connected with VW in any way!

To summarize, VW is fully aware of the problem with their vehicles, they are sold with an HIV equivalent on their motors. When that translates into breakdowns is only a function of time. All the best if you still feel they have changed.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th March 2016 at 07:44.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 07:50   #65
Team-BHP Support

I'm putting this up as a separate post for the benefit of bhpians who end up with EGR troubles. Is EGR replacement really required? I don't think so. It is a serviceable component and can be cleaned. A friend's Vento from the same generation got a CEL on the instrument panel.

He scanned it using an OBD scanner:

A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)-egr_error.jpg

Got it cleaned at an aftermarket shop and this came out of the EGR:

A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)-img_1037.jpg

Amount spent (Rs. 3,000/-) for cleaning it:

A case of unreliable Volkswagen Ventos (2010 - 2012)-img_1036.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th March 2016 at 07:52.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 08:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed. My brother sails most times of the year and that puts the servicing schedules out of the window. I know this is no excuse but that's what the reality is. On the flipside, an unused car with the km range still being under schedule I believe it works ok.
It puts a question-mark on the reliability of the maintenance of the car.

I AM out of the country since 2014, my car has hardly done ~5000 kms over the past 18 months. I have made sure the car gets serviced and basic checkpoints/problems taken care (battery check, tire rotation, etc) within the timelines.

Quote:
Not anymore. Look at the estimate and you'll know why. They have started sneaking in unwanted stuff. Like for example, during third service, they simply replaced the rear shock pads without even driving the car. Any idea how the deduced that they needed replacement? Or is it common occurrence on Ventos?
It's a sad situation if they are going the way every Maruti/Hyundai/any-brand showroom is going towards. Not being easy-going, just stating the obvious. I haven't had direct experience with them over the last two years so I can't give you any recent feedback.

Obviously no idea how they decided on the shock pads, only your relative can tell that.

Quote:
Did I say it is a dealer problem? The title of this thread is about unreliable Ventos from 2010 - 2012 in particular based on what I see and what many other bhpians as well as customers have reported.
The analysis was to go through all the areas and not only what you said in the thread heading.

As for the problems, the injector issue is a common problem affecting all.
The squeaking rubber on the doors is a common problem affecting all.
The cheap quality AC panes that break easily is a common problem affecting all.
The squeaking rear parcel tray is a common problem affecting all.
There were other identified issues (including something on steering rack) that they proactively honored on warranty for all when we went for servicing.
And there are other identified and documented issues on the forum that I can't recollect now.
As for the turbo hose, EGR and radiator frame, that was a genuine question if it is a common problem or only something that has affected one and all?

I went through my ownership thread - I see in my 3rd servicing, I have a turbo hose replacement done under warranty which was suggested by the SA.

So hence the importance of the above question to one and all.

Quote:
Anoop owns a Petrol Vento and it seems that it is relatively easier to maintain.
We are talking about the maintenance costs - check with him; he'll give you the numbers which will come around to more or less on the same level.

Quote:
I disagree that you say El Lobo's car has had a similar average cost for maintenance. Please relook at his experiences and breakdown in the middle of nowhere. But despite that he feels it is still a good product. This to me is a perception problem. It also depends on how much you love a product as against be objective about it.
Again read the point where I quoted/mentioned El Lobo's name. I'm talking about maintenance cost. And to what I know about him, he's quite level headed about the car as much as one can be. Neither of us are being subjective or VW fanboys.

Quote:
The bill will be 120k over 5 years. 2x of what you assumed it is. Even if we were to spend that amount, there is the diesel pump, other three injectors and a host of various other components waiting to fail. It seems to me that you haven't read my post entirely.
On the contrary you haven't understood my point or the post, attacking specific lines without understanding the overall thought process.

I'm stating that 61k over 5 years is common cost; ask any of the long term owners. I'm not saying it is justified; it is just how costly the VW (or atleast the Ventos) are to maintain. Yes, unfortunately your relative has spent a portion of it on parts replacement than the scheduled services, and yes that is not justified.

Quote:
I don't understand where you saw me saying that my brother is connected with VW in any way!
The bills talk of the customer being "Volkswagen Passenger Car India Ltd" - not sure what that meant, hence put that up.

Quote:
To summarize, VW is fully aware of the problem with their vehicles, they are sold with an HIV equivalent on their motors. When that translates into breakdowns is only a function of time. All the best if you still feel they have changed.
Let's not getting into this mode of going back and forth quoting each other.

My entire post was on being objectively focusing on basic points than just putting up another brand bashing thread that ends nowhere.

Again I state the same - the vehicles have had (or have) problems - it makes perfect sense to raise the issues and pinpoint the exact issues so that all future and existing owners are made aware of it. And maybe, expect VW to take notice of it.

But putting a blanket statement as the thread heading does, based on a few examples is not worthy of it.

Let's state the exact problems that are faced by majority and talk about it. As for reliability of the Ventos or the chances of them breaking down on the highway, in the end they are after all a VW. Let me remind you of this thread again

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html (PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!)
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:35   #67

Dear Ninja Talli,
The services were done on time for the car, I guess you haven't tried getting an appointment for a VW service the minimum period when I went for initial service was a months in fact if you notice the second service was done in Goa as service appointment was available there. B U Bhandari typically used to give appointments after a Month. Secondly the car is meant to be driven when you need not parked as service appointments not available that is my idea as I am purchasing the car for use not to fill the car manufacturers and Service stations coffers.
Also since there was a warranty replacement of your Turbo hose in the third service why wasn't mine replaced under warranty ? If you check on the forum and the internet in general you will notice that the injectors and EGR are failing on most cars hence ethically if the product is faulty a recall should have been issued. Also if you notice the service advisor had asked my wife to replace the turbo hose when she had gone for rectifying a water leak in cabin and seeing the position of the Turbo hose it was definitely not leaking inside the cabin . Your opinion about VW is your choice and basis your opinion, mine is on the basis of my experience.
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 03:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner View Post
Dear Ninja Talli,
The services were done on time for the car, I guess you haven't tried getting an appointment for a VW service the minimum period when I went for initial service was a months in fact if you notice the second service was done in Goa as service appointment was available there. B U Bhandari typically used to give appointments after a Month. Secondly the car is meant to be driven when you need not parked as service appointments not available that is my idea as I am purchasing the car for use not to fill the car manufacturers and Service stations coffers.
Also since there was a warranty replacement of your Turbo hose in the third service why wasn't mine replaced under warranty ? If you check on the forum and the internet in general you will notice that the injectors and EGR are failing on most cars hence ethically if the product is faulty a recall should have been issued. Also if you notice the service advisor had asked my wife to replace the turbo hose when she had gone for rectifying a water leak in cabin and seeing the position of the Turbo hose it was definitely not leaking inside the cabin . Your opinion about VW is your choice and basis your opinion, mine is on the basis of my experience.
Are you quoting your own experience or about @moralfibre's car?

- If the latter, they are clearly not within the time. The schedule is one year or 15k kms, whichever is earlier. I guess out of the 4, the 2nd one is out of timelines and the 4th a bit risky (over the 15k limit).

- BUB has always had high waiting periods due to the load of both dealership based cars coming to them. Although Kiran kind of made an opposite statement of walking in and getting service done in an older post; I guess that was just to make an general point. Again I am not aware of the current situation.

- You are free to consider the manufacturer based servicing schedule or make up your own as per your wishes.

- Getting things done under warranty claims is unfortunately an ordeal in India. And also unfortunately more on the owner than the dealership in India. Throughout my ownership, I have had multiple claims done - some done amicably, others had to be argued and pushed upon the dealership. And I will be pushing for the injectors to be done under goodwill too, if that happens in the future. Will I be successful? No idea

Why weren't you is upto you and VW. I can try to help on what worked in my case. Quote my case if it helps. Go after them.

- Injectors are failing (and we have the advisory too). EGRs failing - I haven't seen many cases and hence my question in the previous posts. I would be glad to know if this is a problem affecting all cars.

- My opinion about VW is definitely my choice, and so is @moralfibre's. But stating ALL Ventos for 2010 - 2012 are unreliable is making too wide a statement.

Yes, VW's methods are far from acceptable and pathetic, if you want my opinion. As a customer who is potentially at risk of facing the brunt of issues now or in the future as he has, I understand the purpose of this thread from that angle.

But to just come out and cry out hoarse without making any beneficial points to all Vento owners on the forum, is of not much use. Lets put a purpose to the thread. We need to be able to make VW to make changes to their methods by educating all existing & potential owners, not create a VW bashing thread - but that what it currently looks like.

If you see the logic of that statement, I hope you do.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st March 2016 at 03:18.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 09:09   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Are you quoting your own experience or about @moralfibre's car?
The car in question is mariner's.

Quote:
- BUB has always had high waiting periods due to the load of both dealership based cars coming to them. Although Kiran kind of made an opposite statement of walking in and getting service done in an older post; I guess that was just to make an general point. Again I am not aware of the current situation.
Buddy, please do not quote me out of context. I had mentioned that initially BUB VW had extremely high waiting times to get a service appointment. The walk-in story is true as of last Sunday and I attribute it to their falling sales volumes.

Quote:
- Injectors are failing (and we have the advisory too). EGRs failing - I haven't seen many cases and hence my question in the previous posts. I would be glad to know if this is a problem affecting all cars.
List of bhpians that I know off the head who've had EGR failures:

venom_op, p242, Turbohead, Vik0728, diyaneesh, AutoInt, WAM-4, ahmadnaik, sidby, etc. List of bhpians with injector failures is even bigger. No, the problem is not affecting all cars. It only affects a few unlucky ones who haven't adhered to service schedules.

Quote:
- But stating ALL Ventos for 2010 - 2012 are unreliable is making too wide a statement.
Yes very true. I believe sitting on an injector failure bomb is ok. Someday the car will give up on the street unannounced. But hey! it is ok, the motor is quite reliable, injectors are bound to fail if you don't service your car! It might fail even if you service it on time. It is NOT a common problem but only limited to a very small fraction of bhpians. So what if someone had to flatbed the car from Aurangabad to Pune to Mumbai to somewhere else. Not all have given up right, so it is pretty reliable. I agree completely with you!

Quote:
But to just come out and cry out hoarse without making any beneficial points to all Vento owners on the forum, is of not much use. Lets put a purpose to the thread. We need to be able to make VW to make changes to their methods by educating all existing & potential owners, not create a VW bashing thread - but that what it currently looks like.
Yup, pointing out injector and EGR failures on the car is pretty much crying hoarse. I get your point.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 09:47   #70
Team-BHP Support

@ninjatalli- I have already posted on this thread earlier and what I said was "60k in 5 years is par for the course" as far as maintenance costs go. I also raised the point of a missed service or two like you did. Don't think moral or his brother are denying either of those.

Injector failure and EGR issues are typical of the TDi and that's probably why I have been spared (also mentioned in my posts ). I worry though about parts like the AT gearbox (so far so good) and the AC (once bitten). But no point speculating- my own ownership experience has been that of a reliable machine.

Just clarifying since you brought up my name. How are you otherwise- been a while since we saw you in Pune meets.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 10:03   #71
BHPian

On the warranty:

You can have the amount refunded by VW even though you have paid the bill and warranty is over. Put up your case to the Area Service Manager of VW (directly - not through the dealer) and request for a refund. If it doesn't get cleared at his level, escalate to the next higher level only and so on. Write to the highest level only after exhausting all previous levels. You should have the amount refunded by VW.

On the car:

This car has been subject to a very high level of abuse so expect a lot more problems if you retain the car. Missed services is only small part of the story and is an indication of how this car has been generally abused.

You could have got away with this if it were Japs or Koreans. Germans hit back viciously and right now you're in the throes of that experience.

The only advise valid for future at this point: Sell the car. Nothing else will help you.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 11:18   #72
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just saw this today. Like most of you, owing to my experiences with VW, i have mixed feelings about the brand. On the one hand, i like that the cars are sturdy, classy and have some of the better engines in the market. Having said that, i dont know how reliable the brand is, given the horror stories one reads about on tbhp. I have a jetta and a vento, but my family doesnt drive on the expressways. Our driving is limited to the city. If i had to drive to delhi from chandigarh, i would be a little worried.

The vento ordeal i went through last year was a nightmare. Since then, even regular service check ups for either the jetta or the vento instill a sense of apprehension in me. The vento is a fairly popular car over here, and all of the people i know, are quite disgruntled with the after sales service and high maintenance costs. My car had been regularly serviced as per the schedule, yet i went through 2 weeks of arguments and fights with VW to get my car fixed FOC. I guess much of my success there was due to the advisory and not really any goodwill on their part.

I could go on and on, but ill try and be brief in summing it up. I am apprehensive when i have to go the service center. I have almost never come away happy or satisfied. The cars are expensive to maintain, and they consume far more time than most professionals can spare today. The vento seems to be running fine now and all is well, but the jetta has atleast 3 different noises coming from it which i cant find the source for. Each time i ask VW, they try and blame it on a loose tool kit or the car being old or whatever, and i am just trying to deal with it.

Maybe the cars have german reliability, and there are a few exceptions for whatever reasons, but the attitude of VW to those exceptions is definitely not german.

My father is looking for a car and i keep steering him away from a VW, towards a ford or a toyota. I guess that itself says something about my experience with VW.

Have a great day!

Sidby

Quote:

venom_op, p242, Turbohead, Vik0728, diyaneesh, AutoInt, WAM-4, ahmadnaik, sidby, etc. List of bhpians with injector failures is even bigger. No, the problem is not affecting all cars. It only affects a few unlucky ones who haven't adhered to service schedules.

sidby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a serviceable component and can be cleaned. A friend's Vento from the same generation got a CEL on the instrument panel.]
Can you share the FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage) contact person company, name and address. So in future if anyone faces EGR issue, they could have their Vento TDi fixed over there.

Quote:
He scanned it using an OBD scanner:

Attachment 1488028
Which software is this?

Quote:
Amount spent (Rs. 3,000/-) for cleaning it:

Attachment 1488031
Looks like your friend has also got his car serviced at the same FNG workshop and he has been ripped off as well.

Service cost: Rs 2000 + Rs 1500 for vehicle scanning. That's 3500. Even VW doesn't charge that much. For 5th service since car has clocked 49,000, the cost is Rs. 2286 and for GFF Guided Fault Finding another Rs 500 at most.

VW Service Cost Calculator:

Next: Fuel Filter Rs. 2000. Last time I checked it was somewhere around Rs 1500 VW Original. That's almost like 30% over and above.

Lastly: Engine Oil, looks like the FNG has put in mineral oil in car since price quoted is at Rs. 308 per lt. The 1.6 TDi strictly needs synthetic oil to maintain the long service duration of 15,000 Kms or 1 year. If now something goes wrong with engine, you know whom to blame first.

Even the other parts used look expensive if not, almost priced same as VW.

The FNG is good for getting EGR problem solved, but certainly not for servicing as seen above.

Quote:
So from the above statement it means, it's the customers fault for not having the car serviced at right interval leading to such issues. Now who's at fault, VW or you?
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:

venom_op, p242, Turbohead, Vik0728, diyaneesh, AutoInt, WAM-4, ahmadnaik, sidby, etc. List of bhpians
Correction:We've never experienced any EGR issues. Wonder where you got that info from.
Yes, the check engine light had come on randomly but that was due to some dust on the oxygen sensor.
This is becoming another VW bashing thread.I don't know why people keep bashing VW for high service costs ( I agree for parts though). Overall service costs for our previous Hyundai i20 was more or less the same.( we were paying close to 20k per year). And the Vento is one segment higher!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:59   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Can you share the FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage) contact person company, name and address. So in future if anyone faces EGR issue, they could have their Vento TDi fixed over there.

Which software is this?
I'll check this up for you.

Quote:
Looks like your friend has also got his car serviced at the same FNG workshop and he has been ripped off as well.

Service cost: Rs 2000 + Rs 1500 for vehicle scanning. That's 3500. Even VW doesn't charge that much. For 5th service since car has clocked 49,000, the cost is Rs. 2286 and for GFF Guided Fault Finding another Rs 500 at most.
I saw that as well. I recommended the service only for EGR cleaning. I've spoken to a local FNG here and he'll be charging Rs. 2,000/- to clean the EGR.

Quote:
The FNG is good for getting EGR problem solved, but certainly not for servicing as seen above.
Agree completely. I noticed the engine oil part as well.

Quote:
So from the above statement it means, it's the customers fault for not having the car serviced at right interval leading to such issues. Now who's at fault, VW or you?
Me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Correction:We've never experienced any EGR issues. Wonder where you got that info from.
Yes, the check engine light had come on randomly but that was due to some dust on the oxygen sensor.
My bad, I looked at this post (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review) and thought that your car faced the issue.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2016 at 13:01.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote