Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th March 2016, 11:15   #1
AYP
BHPian

Default Always press the Handbrake button? Myth busted

A nice video that came up on my recommended videos section. I am pretty sure that many of you must have heard about the whole pressing the button before engaging the handbrake thing. And even though yes, in theory, it may lead to slightly less wear of the handbrake but in practical terms, the effect is negligible. I tried engaging the parking brake after pressing the button a few months back, but the krrrrrkkk... sound of the handbrake is addictive and it does inspire the confidence that the handbrake is engaged. I reverted back the same day, the same hour if I remember correctly.
What do you guys think-

AYP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Always press the Handbrake button? Myth busted

For me its not about any less wear, but just so that I don't have to hear that noise
Akshay1234 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:55   #3
BHPian

I have always used it just for the release. One actually gets to know about the condition of the handbrake by how much effort he has to put while engaging the handbrake. I just got mine changed and the difference in engaging is day and night. I wouldn't feel that difference if I were to engage the brake using the button.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hand brake lever is mounted on a ratchet. The button is provided to release the lever from the locked position.

I always pull the lever (without depressing the button) while engaging. Positive clicks give me assurance. Later, I just press the button to disengage.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Yeah - I too pull up the lever without pressing the button. I did heard about wearing out the ratchet when not pressing the button during pull up, but I always smiled and thought "What a BS"
iamswift is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

I always push handbrake button as I don't want any kkkrrrr noise, also learned it to use it that way.
When I learned starting from standstill on slopes, it was via handbrake method and not half-clutch way. So, got habitual to press button first before using handbrake.
Even with this habit, my Santro handbrake lever assembly had to be replaced. So, it doesn't matter which way one applies handbrake.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 17:46   #7
BHPian

Well other than the reasons mentioned in this forum, my friend once told me that cops in Johannesburg penalised him when he failed to press the handbrake button while pulling the handbrake lever after being pulled over for a routine drunk-driving check. Since I was going to stay overthere for an year or so I developed the habit of pressing the button while engaging handbrake. This was about 5 years back and even now I press the handbrake while engaging the same.
kiran_cr is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 19:07   #8
BHPian

While the hand brake button myth is something i have heard of ever since we bought our first vehicle. I searched endlessly on the internet even our Team Bhp but couldn't find one satisfactory answer. Something common in all the answers that i found was that those with "mechanical empathy" would prefer using the button and avoid the clicking.
I personally do not use the button while applying the hand brakes. I find the clicks assuring!
Am no technical wizard but since there are a few posts here about users who have had to replace their handbrake assembly over time am providing my two cents on experiences i had with various aged vehicles i have driven.

Tata Indica (8+ years old second hand)-
After i obtained my driving license i did a bit of practice on a diesel Indica. It was a tourist permit private car used as a cab. It was my mom's office car and I use to practice on it every night after she returned home from work. As expected everything in the car inside out was either broken or maintained via jugaad. I practiced on it only for a week but something that always caught my attention was the handbrake lever. It never made that clicking sound when pulled. On the contrary it had a rubbery effect/feel to it when pulled or released. On enquiring with its driver who was with the vehicle since almost two years he told that the handbrake was in a poor condition and at times didn't even worked! He said that they had to rely on placing bricks behind the vehicle's tyres.

Honda City 2nd Gen (Second Hand)-
My neighbours had bought a second hand City two years ago and since their son had just got a license they would occasionally ask me to help out reverse their car out of the parking. What i noticed was the handbrake pulled seamlessly half way through without making the tick tick noise and once half way through it made the noise as the lever reached its maximum pull. Worth mentioning the car was in excellent condition despite being a two generation older model.

Suzuki Swift (My ride)-
My relatively new Swift always makes the click click noise each time i pull on the lever. The sound is sharp and assuring.

So i guess the age of the car has more to do with damaged handbrake assemblys rather than pressing the button.
Skyline_GT is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

In my 18 years of driving, I have always used the button while pulling up and pushing down the handbrake lever. That sharp rasping irritates me! Have not experienced any deterioration ever; instead I have religiously changed the cable every 3 or 4 years for safety reasons.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 22:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
. And even though yes, in theory, it may lead to slightly less wear of the handbrake but in practical terms, the effect is negligible.
The only thing to suffer less wear would the handbrake-lever ratchet mechanism itself. Yes, that is probably minimal. It is probably not worth doing, but then, for us button pushers, it is not worth changing the habit either

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
... ... ... I wouldn't feel that difference if I were to engage the brake using the button.
Yes you would: you would feel the change of effort, and notice how far you are having to pull the handle, just as you do now, but in a different way.

To push or not to push? Each to their own: my vote is that it doesn't matter!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 10:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, if you think like that, pressing the button will make the spring mechanism wear off faster, which is more annoying.

I think we are reading too much into things, and should continue using the hand brake like we've done before.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2016 at 10:14. Reason: First line was unnecessary :). Thanks
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow.

I think we are reading too much into things, and should continue using the hand brake like we've done before.
You have nailed it. Too much of detailed knowledge or curiosity to the "Know How" process has started giving sleepless nights to us. Whereas, we should think of releasing the handbrakes while starting the car and moving forward. When I was a new car driver, at times I used to forget to disengage the lever only to realize after 20 kms of ride causing serious heartburn. I feel either way of applying the brake lever is true. Some of the old schools like me, always love the sharp sound of hand brake application without pressing the button.

Take it or leave it! Lets not go into deep mechanics.
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 12:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

My first reaction to this thread was: don't people have anything better to discuss? But the video is actually nicely made: the guy obviously knows what he's talking about.

To be honest, I've never given this a thought. My usual style is to pull up the handbrake and only use the button for release. And I must confess I do play with button sometimes, while waiting at a long traffic signal for example. The thought of "wear" never crossed my mind
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 13:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
You have nailed it. Too much of detailed knowledge or curiosity to the "Know How" process has started giving sleepless nights to us. Whereas, we should think of releasing the handbrakes while starting the car and moving forward. When I was a new car driver, at times I used to forget to disengage the lever only to realize after 20 kms of ride causing serious heartburn. I feel either way of applying the brake lever is true. Some of the old schools like me, always love the sharp sound of hand brake application without pressing the button.

Take it or leave it! Lets not go into deep mechanics.
I have heard this from many folks, but my cars (Palio and A-Star) never move when the hand brake is applied, even if I put it in gear and press the accelerator. Maybe you don't apply the handbrake tightly enough.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 15:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
A nice video that came up on my recommended videos section. I am pretty sure that many of you must have heard about the whole pressing the button before engaging the handbrake thing. And even though yes, in theory, it may lead to slightly less wear of the handbrake but in practical terms, the effect is negligible. ]

My experience is it varies from car to car. On some the ratchet mechanism is very prone to wear and you might find yourself in a situation where the handbrake won't hold properly.
I replaced the ratchet mechanism on my Alfa Romeo Spider some 10-12 years ago as it was worn. That was after about 13-14 years and with probably 100.000 miles on the clock. I've added another 50-60.000 miles it the last 12 years. Last time I used it is was beginning to give some problems.

I have had to replace the ratchet mechanism on my Jeep Cherokee too.

I like the sound of the ratchet and I like fiddling. With my cars, so I'll happily replace the Rachel mechanism every 10 years or 100.000 kilometres.
Jeroeb
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote