Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 23rd September 2006, 22:25   #1
BHPian

Default Can A Diesel Engine be put in Wagon R ?

i would like to know if a wagonr lxi be diesel fitted, if yes what engine to be fitted and where can it be done
Old 24th September 2006, 08:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default WagonR diesel

Instead of going through the hassle of retrofitting, why don't you wait till Dec? I've heard a rumour that they are coming out with a Swift diesel and if it is successful then will introduce a diesel variant for all models..

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys
i would like to know if a wagonr lxi be diesel fitted, if yes what engine to be fitted and where can it be done
Old 24th September 2006, 21:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys
why not ? i think the peugot diesel that comes in the zen or the esteem would easily go into the wagonr. but why would you want to do that ? if you are thinking of fuel cost, just fit a lpg kit around 18k & you are on your way.

p.s if you are particular about the diesel, then sell the wagon r & get a diesel zen, that is a much better option.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 24th September 2006 at 21:05.
Old 25th September 2006, 01:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

I am not very sure that the Wagon-R's small bonnet space can accomodate a diesel engine so easily. In fact even Hyundai has decided to launch a separate diesel model to be put alongside its Santro simply because the Santro could not accomodate a diesel in that bonnet. And IMO Wagon-R has even lesser bonnet space. Even if you find a small diesel (say a Daihatsu one) that could go in your choices will be pretty limited.

Also, the hassles are ffar too many for such a conversion. A far better option is to either go for LPG conversion or buy a diesel car off the shelf.
Old 25th September 2006, 02:17   #5
BHPian

I think going for LPG would make more sense. Esp. so cause Maruti kits the new Wagon R with it. So sourcing all the compatible parts will be very easy.

Engine swapping is a big(complex n costly) job to undertake.. and no way can be guaranteed to be perfect
Old 25th September 2006, 23:20   #6
BHPian

thnks for ur replies. if i have to fit it with a lpg wht is the cost of lps kit and wht mileage do i get and wht is the cost of lpg in hyderabad
Closed Thread