Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th March 2016, 12:03   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default re: Hissing sound in my VW Vento TSI

This hissing noise was present on my Linea for over a year. Turns out, the air conditioning system was running low on freon. With summer setting in early, I started to notice the climate control struggling to bring down cabin temperature too. This hissing noise was audible only when the blower speed was on the lower side. If the blower was running at higher speeds, the noise of the blower would drown out the hissing noise. Topped up freon a couple of weeks ago and the hissing noise has vanished.

The noise from a turbo is a whine and very faint.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 12:15   #17

I drive a Polo 1.5 TDI and hear the same kind of noise occasionally. It's very similar to the turbo whistle, but feels like it's coming from the a/c vents or somewhere behind the dashboard and not from outside the car. If it was the turbo whistle, then the sound should have been heard every time the turbo spooled up. But that's not the case here.

I'm yet to figure out how to reproduce it at will. I mostly run the a/c in recirculation mode and I think the sound comes even in recirculation mode. But I'll need to verify it once again.

It hasn't bothered me much as it doesn't affect the performance of the a/c or the car in general. The sound has remained exactly the same (without any variation in intensity/frequency/tone) from the initial days till now. My assumption is that it's some quirk of the climatronic system in certain climatic conditions.

Last edited by BigBrad : 30th March 2016 at 12:18.
BigBrad is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 13:24   #18

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2016 at 13:40.
NiladriM is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th March 2016, 14:12   #19
Default Re: Hissing sound in my VW Vento TSI

If you hear this hissing sound only while the acceleration , it would be turbo hose pipe leakage only. Just check whether you're getting this sound on the low rpms (below turbo spooling), then you can easily figure it out. I've experienced the similar Ford Fiesta TDCi and the hose was replaced after pushing them to change only that. They were asking me to change the entire turbo setup for the same.
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 07:05   #20

Originally Posted by NiladriM View Post
I too tend to think that it's to do with the AC, as I remember now I switched off the AC for sometime and then the sound disappeared. Did you happen to take any advice from your SA regarding this?
NO, only because I was skeptical that they might screw up something else trying to figure out what this issue is In fact right from day one there was a significant audible hissing sound from near the glove box for 2-4 seconds which was told by the SA as a normal scenario. So did not bother to dwell into that too much.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 12:58   #21

I hear a similar hissing sound while accelerating on my Vento TSi, although only at times. It is not something that happens everytime or everyday. Generally, I 'believe' it happens on a more than normal acceleration, but I might be wrong. Seems like an AC thing but just wanted to check with fellow users regarding any updates on this?

I would try and test it under different scenarios like AC on/ off, gradual/ hard acceleration and share my feedback to ensure that the sound is from the AC.

Is it worth visiting the service center?
vickyP is offline   Reply With Quote