Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th August 2010, 18:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
If you scratch it hard with a stone, it may gain scratches, but the wiper does not wipe the glass with the same force which we apply from hand while scratching.

Even if the particle is harder than glass, it needs force. The Iphone screen is made by the windshield material and hence they don't gain scratches too.
I guess Mahindra makes a tough wiper arm, my windscreen has a bic arc across
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 19:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

What I do when the windshield glares alot or too dirty is:

"Purchase some 'CHUNA' from any general store and rub it over the windshield once with a little water sprinkled over the windshield for chuna to become soft with my hands and then leave it for some 30 seconds, rinse it with water and wipe-off excess chuna by hands or newspaper".

That's it. I even donot wipe off the excess water, I just use the wiper and the glass shines like new, ever than before. This method has been tried by me on even 2 decades old vehicles windshields and worked like charm.

Last edited by mercedised : 30th August 2010 at 19:31.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 19:39   #48
BHPian

I wish there was someone who could do it up here in Delhi. I have the same wiperblade marks on my Esteem's windshield. It even throws up a rainbow array of colors from the outside at times when looked at from a peculiar angle on the entire blade-wiping area.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 20:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
What I do when the windshield glares alot or too dirty is:

"Purchase some 'CHUNA' from any general store and rub it over the windshield once with a little water sprinkled over the windshield for chuna to become soft with my hands and then leave it for some 30 seconds, rinse it with water and wipe-off excess chuna by hands or newspaper".

That's it. I even donot wipe off the excess water, I just use the wiper and the glass shines like new, ever than before. This method has been tried by me on even 2 decades old vehicles windshields and worked like charm.
Please excuse my ignorance about "chuna", but is the same thing which is used for colouring walls or otherwise.
And what about its reaction with the rubber beading and other plastic parts? Will it change the gloss of the cars coat?
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 20:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

This chuna treatment seems to be worth a try. My windshield has recently got huge semi circle scratch which I want to remove. Could you please give some more details on the operating procedure.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance about "chuna", but is the same thing which is used for colouring walls or otherwise.
And what about its reaction with the rubber beading and other plastic parts? Will it change the gloss of the cars coat?
I don't know about the reactions and there is no need of applying it on the rubber parts. The excess should be wiped-off with water. And yes it is the same that we use in 'PAAN' or Walls or plenty of other uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
This chuna treatment seems to be worth a try. My windshield has recently got huge semi circle scratch which I want to remove. Could you please give some more details on the operating procedure.
Pardon me! But I never told that it will remove those scratch marks. It will only remove every damn dust and other gummy substance from the glass and that gives a little polished glass feel. That's it! try it for personal observation. For your convenience I will try to explain again:

Just have a little Chuna in your hands, dampen it and then also sprinkle some water on the windshield. Then, apply or rub the chuna to the whole windshield. (The quantity of chuna should be confined to the minimum amount that can cover the whole windshield.)

Now, Leave it as it is for 30 seconds and then clean the glass with the help of water. Donot use any cloth in this procedure. Clean the glass with your hands and water. After the glass is clean just switch On your wipers.

Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 30th August 2010 at 21:22.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 23:07   #52
BHPian

Ok, here's the phone number ....

Prashant: 09371076127

He speaks Marathi / Hindi and does car detailing, denting and painting work. Ask him for the guy called Amol who does the glass polish.

Refer to me as friend / owner of the blue Lancer and bargain if you like. It seems the Sedans are done at a premium. BTW, I heard from a Swift owner that Maruti A.S.S. do a similar job for Rs 1000/-

--------------------------
Chewbacca
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 01:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Even I am facing similar problems with my wipers of Figo! The car is just a month old and as discussed above it does not wipe properly (it used to before) but now it leaves trails of smears(?)! Please advise on what has to be done, I cleaned the blades and glass, but to no avail :(.
Ford cars have the indicator and wiper stalks on the opposite side of the steering wheel and require getting used to. It's the original American design that suits left hand drive cars. I have seen many Figo drivers mistakenly running their wipers when they want to turn.

Running the wipers on dry/dusty glass makes the blades wear off faster and that's why, I guess, it does not wipe properly. Get them replaced ASAP and save the glass surface from getting scratched. Else you may have to spend $$ in getting the glass fixed. Read my new thread at ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...indshield.html (Safety first: Get rid of those Wiper marks on your Windshield) (Safety first: Get rid of those Wiper marks on your Windshield)

---------------------------
Chewbacca
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 13:52   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Please share the cost of the Activity.
They did it for free!!! (a surprise for me too)

I have started visiting that service center since beginning of this year for service and other minor stuffs. And wiper blades which caused those marks were purchased from them, I think that is the reason they did not charge anything for polishing.

As I wanted to have new set of wiper blade I paid around Rs 450/- for that.
abcxyz07306 is offline   Reply With Quote