Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2009, 18:47   #421
BHPian

@Spitfire: hey thats great buddy! glad to see it give you a new car! like literally! well i hope you enjoy the seafront, in BANGALORE! lol
Well even if it is a placebo effect i'd rather get it theres no con to it only unverified pro's so if its free why not!? and if it feels better to me id rather pay upto 100 bucks once as topups are usually free!
Wow your air filling fellow bought an R8, while you still drive around in that omni? maybe you should open one too!!

Anyone know of any place in NCR where its still available?
Old 20th March 2009, 18:52   #422
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
@Spitfire: hey thats great buddy! glad to see it give you a new car! like literally! well i hope you enjoy the seafront, in BANGALORE! lol
I have nitrogen in my Omni. I can have a seafront in Bangalore.

Quote:
Well even if it is a placebo effect i'd rather get it theres no con to it only unverified pro's so if its free why not!? and if it feels better to me id rather pay upto 100 bucks once as topups are usually free!
Yeah agree.

Quote:
Wow your air filling fellow bought an R8, while you still drive around in that omni? maybe you should open one too!!
I am seriously thinking about it.

Quote:
Anyone know of any place in NCR where its still available?
If you dont find anyone let me know. I will be there with my Nitrogen cylinders.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:33   #423
Senior - BHPian

Got Nitrogen filled in my cars tyres and could make out the difference instantly...the rise is very smooth.

Will stick to it now on...
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:41   #424
Senior - BHPian

Default Air is 78% nitrogen

Guys.

Are you wasting your money? Plain ol air is 78% nitrogen.

Rgds,
Old 4th May 2009, 08:03   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
About a couple of months ago, when I sent my car for servicing, the folks there had filled Nitrogen in all the four tyres.

If I say that the ride is smooth, it will be subjective.

But, what I'm seeing clearly is that there is now no need to check for the pressure often. Before, I used to check once a week, but now I check once in several weeks.

Secondly, as it has been mentioned earlier in these columns, filling air would also infuse moisture into the tyre, which when heated (rolling) might increase the overall pressure.

Technically, I think there are advantages (in filling Nitrogen), but ultimately it's your call
Old 4th May 2009, 08:31   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can fill Nitrogen at the Jubillee Hills Check Post Petrol bunk.

Price: 40 Rs per tire. 10 Rs per tire for topups.

PS: I don't use Nitrogen in my tires.
I already have nitrogen in my tyres. So to check and top up this check post fella charges 10 bucks a tyre?
Old 4th May 2009, 16:12   #427
BHPian

I did the nitrogen fill for all five tires for 150/-bucks @ HP coco outlet next to wind tunnel road junction on Airport road. Its been more than two months and 2000 KMs last week on highways and ghats including kusahlnagara-madikeri-sampaje-kallugundi-kukke-gundya check post- sakleshpur stretch with as much speed I could carry into the curves.
Pressure drop nil when I checked today. this one fact is enough for me to continue with N2 even if air is 78 % nitrogen already.

I don't remember what the ride quality was earlier so I don't know if there is a difference there. But tire noise has dropped especially as I drive with not much music on long drives I tend to notice the change in tire noise when the road surface changes so I can say its dropped for sure.

Any way top ups are free for 6 months and the attendant Vijay referred another vehicle that he has not topped up for the last 8 months as the pressure didn't drop. I will top up with nitrogen as far as possible as the single most advantage I seek is the accuracy of the meters rather than the air pressure gauge thats as old as the attendant.
I did that to my Activa as well.

Last edited by marlinspike : 4th May 2009 at 16:14. Reason: add some more info
Old 4th May 2009, 20:29   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Pressure drop nil when I checked today. this one fact is enough for me to continue with N2 even if air is 78 % nitrogen already.
I check the tyre pressure every 4 weeks i.e. half the time that you went without checking. Normal running and one or two high speed runs at speeds of upto 160 kmph on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Pressure drop is about 3 PSI after 4 weeks (with BS Turanza ER300 OEM tyres). Cost of filling/refilling = 0.

Nitrogen @40-50 bucks a pop doesnt make sense to me especially when you consider it is for that 22% over and above atmospheric N already present in the tyres. Add to that the attendant hassle of finding a dealer or petrol station with nitrogen on tap when I want to top up.

Of course, all this is IMHO. But I am willing to give it a try and post my experiences here. Will do so at the earliest.

Can we have a poll on how many TBHPians use Nitrogen in their tyres?

Rgds,
Old 4th May 2009, 21:18   #429

After reading this thread I am really interested in getting Nitrogen filled in my car's tyre. I have one querry though, anyone knows where I can get Nitrogen filled in my car's tyre in Kolkata preferably Salt Lake?
Old 5th May 2009, 00:01   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

I have... but only because MSS did it without asking, on account of which we got it free when we pointed this out.
Old 5th May 2009, 11:46   #431
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys.

Rgds,
You tell 'em, R2D2. This situation is similar to the one on MHP (mental horse power)
Old 5th May 2009, 12:03   #432
Senior - BHPian

I hope everybody who are experiencing great benefits of using nitrogen, have first vacuumed the tires or tubes before filling pure nitrogen. Thats the only way you will have 100% nitrogen.
If you are only deflating and refilling with nitrogen then there is still a considerable amount of air in it, this can spoil the ride quality and smoothness etc.
End of the day if you feel happy then nothing like it.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:06   #433
BHPian

Default Some Tech Details on Using N2

Use of Normal Air
-----------------
It is normal for tyre pressure to decrease when there is a variation in temperature and/or a leakage from the valves.

And another little known phenomenon we mustn't forget to mention is the fact that Oxygen molecules escape from tyres.

This phenomenon takes place because Oxygen molecules, which are smaller than Nitrogen molecules, can escape through the pores in the rubber of the tyre, while Nitrogen molecules, because they are larger, cannot.

This loss of pressure, quantified on average as 0.08 bar/month, increases fuel consumption, reduces the life of the tyre and increase the probability of skidding.

Use of Nitrogen
---------------
Reduces fuel consumption: Pressure loss changes the external profile of the tyre, increasing resistance to the rotation of the tyre. The increase in resistance causes an increase in fuel consumption.

Increases the life of the tyre: Compressed air contains oxygen which can oxidise the rim and wear away the rubber of the tyre.

By using Nitrogen, which is an inert gas, the life of the tyre is prolonged and the need for maintenance reduced.

It increases the safety and the comfort of a journey.

With compressed air, there is a variation in the internal pressure of the
tyre corresponding to the variation in the temperature of the tyre. By using Nitrogen, given that it is an inert gas, the tyre pressure remains constant throughout normal use (even when the tyre is hot). By keeping the initial characteristics unchanged, you substantially reduce the risk of skidding, losing control or having a puncture due to overheating.

Ecological note: By using Nitrogen, you can keep tyres in a better condition so at the end of their life cycle, they can be more easily
reconditioned, leading to a substantial reduction in this type of waste.

Ref: http://www.ceccato-russia.ru/inf/ENG_CSM_N2.pdf

Also, to see why Nitrogen is used in F1, see Uniflate - Nitrogen Tyre Inflation - Formula 1 and Nitrogen
Old 5th May 2009, 12:40   #434
Senior - BHPian

nitrogen is used in F1 and airplanes(safety at high speed is the prime reason) but not a economical reason enough to use in a commuter car. buy a good digital tyre pressure guage to nulify most of the reasons above.
Do you say a nitrogen will not expand with temperature changes?
Anyways its nice to see general public are getting so much concerned about safety that they are preferring nitrogen instead of dry air for tires. I hope the same gets carried towards driving style in general on public roads, keeping lights in car as per legal requirements, working brake lights, using left mirror, sane music volume on roads, good visibility sunfilms in dark in all sides etc.

Last edited by gigy : 5th May 2009 at 12:53.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:53   #435
Team-BHP Support

I have been using Nitrogen in my tyres for about 2 months now feel a huge change than regular air. Some benefits :-

1) Most importantly the visit to pumps for checking pressure has drastically reduced. Otherwise, i used to check pressure every sunday

2) The ride quality has improved to a large extent ( maybe physchological but, it's there)

3) Since it came free with my new tyres didnt mind trying them and i am happy i did. Besides, now topping up with 50 bucks for 5 tyres every 3 months, i dont consider that as a major expense.

4) Great benefit of safety at high speeds ( maybe because it does not enlarge after heating) and improved tyre life

Overall, I am pleased and will continue with N2
Closed Thread