Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 22:21   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
where can I get it near thiruvalla, anybody from kottayam who has Nitrogen ??
is there a brand name attached to this? I mean if Indian Oil has them at their pumps..?

i changed the tyres of my swift from Kottayam , changes to potenza g-III and teh dealer gave me free nitrogen and free refills for the life time of the tyres.

The shop is near the collectorate. I cant remember the name .
hellstar is offline  
Old 17th September 2009, 22:36   #572
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Nitrogen is catching on fast. Was at the new Bimal workshop near Yelahanka for my scheduled service. They were glad to do the nitogen fill free of cost.
Did observe that PSI dropped by 1 during rains, and increses by 1 when the roads are dry. Is that due to Nitrogen? I Could monitor this through the TPMS.
Should be due to temperature.
janitha is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 00:52   #573
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Last week I filled nitrogen in my Linea.

Have not noticed any change in ride. Which is what I expected. I always doubted it & filled only as the bunkwhere I stopped for fuel had it & I thought lemme just try & test it. I did not expect huge changes in ride -after all normal air contains 78% nitrogen. So what the remaining 22% nitrogen will add?

The guy took 15-20 minutes to fill it in 1 car. There was 1 car before me. So totally it took 30-40 minutes. So much for time-saving as an advantage. In 35-40 minutes, I could fill normal air at bunks for next 6 months.
VahanPujari is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 01:14   #574
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 7,928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by above the limit View Post
Nitrogen helps in slowing down the process of deflation while ur having a puncture and absorb more of the vibrations produced by rough roads. For Each tyre it will cost you Rs.50 for each refill per wheel Rs.10. Refill required at least once in 3 weeks.
Your above comment is a bit confusing. I pay a total of Rs.40 for each nitrogen refill in all my 5 tyres. However, i agree that it does slow down the process of deflation of tyres.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Last week I filled nitrogen in my Linea.

Have not noticed any change in ride. Which is what I expected. I always doubted it & filled only as the bunkwhere I stopped for fuel had it & I thought lemme just try & test it. I did not expect huge changes in ride -after all normal air contains 78% nitrogen. So what the remaining 22% nitrogen will add?

The guy took 15-20 minutes to fill it in 1 car. There was 1 car before me. So totally it took 30-40 minutes. So much for time-saving as an advantage. In 35-40 minutes, I could fill normal air at bunks for next 6 months.
I am surprised why it takes so much time. Since the procedure is absolutely the same. I do a refill of my nitrogen once in 2 months and that too only if i am doing a long drive at that point of time, else it gets extended even more. I notice a drop of 2-4 PSI when i refill.

My refill fella does it for me in less than 5 mins for all tyres including the one in my dicky
mobike008 is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 01:18   #575
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am surprised why it takes so much time.
May be because it was the 1st time nitrogen fill for my car. He had to defalte the tyres first. Ditto for the car before me.
VahanPujari is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 02:03   #576
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,835
Thanked: 942 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Your above comment is a bit confusing. I pay a total of Rs.40 for each nitrogen refill in all my 5 tyres.
I recently got Nitrogen filled into my Toyota Tyres at Ashoka Wheels and he charged me Rs.150 for 4 Tyres...Isnt that a rip off?
Where do you get Nitrogen filled Avi Bhai?
hillram is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 07:51   #577
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Here it is Rs.300/- per car. Of course I didn't fill.
janitha is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 09:01   #578
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I was charged 100/- for all 5 tyres & free refill for next 3 months.
After 3 months, the refill charges are rs. 80/- for all 5 tyres (why would one refill then? get again fresh fill with rs. 100/-)
VahanPujari is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 11:02   #579
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I recently got Nitrogen filled into my Toyota Tyres at Ashoka Wheels and he charged me Rs.150 for 4 Tyres...Isnt that a rip off?
Where do you get Nitrogen filled Avi Bhai?
Maruti Services charged Rs200 --- but refunded it when we pointed out that we had never asked for it!.

There is a petrol place near me now offering it; I might as well as keep it up.
Thad E Ginathom is online now  
Old 18th September 2009, 11:02   #580
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I recently got Nitrogen filled into my Toyota Tyres at Ashoka Wheels and he charged me Rs.150 for 4 Tyres...Isnt that a rip off?
Where do you get Nitrogen filled Avi Bhai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Here it is Rs.300/- per car. Of course I didn't fill.
It should not be more than Rs.100/- for 5 tyres.
sridhar_setty is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 11:16   #581
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maruti Services charged Rs200 --- but refunded it when we pointed out that we had never asked for it!.
Did they also deflate your car to take out the extra nitrogen? Sorry couldn't help that one!
watashi75 is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 12:03   #582
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default

... and the madness continues ...
alpha1 is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 13:38   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

How do they deflate the tyre of normal air before filling 100% nitrogen? a vacuum pump? dose tyre/tyre-tube maintain shape? when fully vacuumed? Just curious
gigy is online now  
Old 18th September 2009, 15:01   #584
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
How do they deflate the tyre of normal air before filling 100% nitrogen? a vacuum pump? dose tyre/tyre-tube maintain shape? when fully vacuumed? Just curious
yes they deflate using a suction pump , i dont think they evacuate the tires to vaccum level but all air is sucked out such that the tyre completely collapses.
hellstar is offline  
Old 18th September 2009, 15:11   #585
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

I suppose the nozzle used to deflate remains attached to the valve till the nitrogen pressure line is connected else the NRV will just open up to fill in ambient air the moment its removed due differential pressure
gigy is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodyear's Self Inflating Tyres carboy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 26th September 2012 00:15
Inflating a tire with liquid fire Takumi-san Technical Stuff 6 28th September 2010 13:47
Nitrogen in car tyres ac 427 Technical Stuff 2 26th April 2007 15:46
Nitrogen filling in car tyres sn48001 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 5th January 2007 14:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks