Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 21:49   #91
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Hill Hold in comparison to ESP is a simple feature, as without Acc pedal input the car should not move and you use service brakes to stop that.

Though Duster has as a combo, its absolutely not necessary to have both ESP and Hill hold together rather one can exist without other.
It's not so simple to implement - you need an electronic brain and a pump to actually apply pressure to the brakes, right? At that point of time, you have everything you need (except different algorithms) to implement ESP and hence, you will always find Hill hold control with ESP.

As an exercise, you can try finding any modern car with HHC, but without ESP
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 23:25   #92
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 244
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Tell me "Who in this World will buy a under powered TUV just to save Rs 8000/- ?".
i took a Scorpio taxi once in Kerala - Chengannur to Sabarimala and back. Was curious about the vehicle as it was my first time and looked at his RC book. The engine was lower powered than the regular white boards (65bhp) and the driver told me it was for conservation of fuel and control speed (to some extent). Am not saying that is the counter argument to your statement but recalled this incident when I read your post.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 21:04   #93
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,421
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
and a pump to actually apply pressure to the brakes, right?
Would holding (rather than generating) pressure work?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 22:13   #94
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would holding (rather than generating) pressure work?

Regards
Sutripta
1) What kind of device would you use to hold the pressure?

2) You still need a sophisticated brain to control the aforementioned device. Any such device that can control the dynamics of the vehicle needs to be extremely reliable and resilient to failures, to avoid any untoward incidents. Imagine if it accidentally held on to the braking pressure while at a high speed!
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:07   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,421
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) What kind of device would you use to hold the pressure?
The control valves used in an ABS implementation.

Quote:
2) You still need a sophisticated brain to control the aforementioned device.
The same brain (hardware) which controls the ABS.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:21   #96
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 556 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The control valves used in an ABS implementation.


The same brain (hardware) which controls the ABS.

Regards
Sutripta
You're right - but it's lacking the accelerometer to detect a hill in the first place.

"Note that the hydraulic modulator is the same one used in an ABS system, meaning that ESC adds only the yaw sensor, an accelerometer, and steering angle sensor to a standard ABS system."

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-abs-...work-513807036
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:32   #97
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,421
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
You're right - but it's lacking the accelerometer to detect a hill in the first place.
But as you have mentioned later on, a far cry from a full blown ESP system.
And in this case the 'áccelerometer' needs to give only a Yes/ No signal (Am I on a gradient? Y/ N), rather than actual values. (Though to be fair, I don't think there is going to be any sensor cost difference if using a MEMS sensor).

There also used to be purely mechanical solutions to hill holding!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 12:45   #98
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

So here is another case of TUV 300 T8 AMT where my family member is affected on the bad product by Mahindra and their incompetency to resolve the issue. It is has gone to 9 times to the service centre in a span of 10 months. I personally for a long time been a fan of Mahindra and owned scorpio for close to 5 years with 1.9 lakh kms done. But this has definitely changed the perception of the company especially when they launch new products. We now completely lost the faith in the car and cannot rely on it any more.
Here is the link for the tweet https://twitter.com/invinceble_guru/...06156403101697
and it contains the full service history. I request the you guyz to post if on social media go get the attention.
sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 22:41   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,070
Thanked: 3,727 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
So here is another case of TUV 300 T8 AMT where my family member is affected on the bad product by Mahindra and their incompetency to resolve the issue. It is has gone to 9 times to the service centre in a span of 10 months. I personally for a long time been a fan of Mahindra and owned scorpio for close to 5 years with 1.9 lakh kms done. But this has definitely changed the perception of the company especially when they launch new products. We now completely lost the faith in the car and cannot rely on it any more.
Here is the link for the tweet https://twitter.com/invinceble_guru/...06156403101697
and it contains the full service history. I request the you guyz to post if on social media go get the attention.
Very sad to know about the ordeal of your family member. From the tweet that you shared I could not find what the exact issue is. Is it with the transmission? Ideally the dealer should have provided a loaner auto shift car (be it another TUV, Scorpio or even a XUV), till the time they fixed the root cause of the issue with the TUV AMT.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 19:13   #100
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: TUV300 AMT problems & Mahindra's inability to solve them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Very sad to know about the ordeal of your family member. From the tweet that you shared I could not find what the exact issue is. Is it with the transmission? Ideally the dealer should have provided a loaner auto shift car (be it another TUV, Scorpio or even a XUV), till the time they fixed the root cause of the issue with the TUV AMT.
Multiple major issues accelerator pedal is not responsive at times, vehicle not pulling forward while on uphill, sudden shudder (possibly transmission), sudden power drop at high speeds. Once there was smoke from engine bay while on the way back from Mysore. We were suspecting transmission / engine issue.

Here is the full details https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2V...0xY2xaTWc/view

Once they gave automatic loaner but other times they refused saying no automatics.

Because of the repeated-ness of the issues and the inability of Mahindra to find the root cause and address it made us to loose complete faith on the vehicle.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EcoSport DCT vs Ertiga AT vs TUV300 AMT samabhi SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 28 11th July 2016 16:49
Mahindra TUV300 : ECU Software update for the AMT TaurusAl Technical Stuff 3 29th January 2016 22:28
Mahindra TUV300 AMT loses engine power @ 100 kmph, AMT doesn't downshift silverknight Technical Stuff 21 25th November 2015 10:33
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs Aditya The Indian Car Scene 1171 28th October 2015 11:35
Man commits suicide due to inability to book a car carlover84 Shifting gears 17 22nd April 2009 20:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks