Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2013, 01:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Engine/Gear Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have observed in some oil drums a stirrer kind of apparatus is present. They rotate it for sometime before pumping the oil. This I have observed in case of cooking oil dispensers in villages. Not engine oil
Off-topic, but how much is the cost of this cooking oil, and is it free-flowing liquid even at night, or in colder weather?

One day I plan a road trip through India, my cars run on plant oil!
Old 30th July 2013, 09:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Off-topic, but how much is the cost of this cooking oil, and is it free-flowing liquid even at night, or in colder weather?

One day I plan a road trip through India, my cars run on plant oil!
The ones sold out of the big barrels cost approx 50 Rs/lts( $1/ltr)

Yes it is a free flowing liquid even in cold conditions unless you are in a sub 0 condition where i am not sure about the solidification factor.

Again oil extracted from different sources(groundnut, sunflower,mustard etc) are sold in different parts of the country based on the local availability.Especially in villages you may not get all forms of oil across nation.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The ones sold out of the big barrels cost approx 50 Rs/lts( $1/ltr)

Yes it is a free flowing liquid even in cold conditions unless you are in a sub 0 condition where i am not sure about the solidification factor.

Again oil extracted from different sources(groundnut, sunflower,mustard etc) are sold in different parts of the country based on the local availability.Especially in villages you may not get all forms of oil across nation.
Thankyou for that, you are lucky to have such oil locally pressed which is such a source of healthy fats. This used to happen in Europe a hundred years ago, until chemicals were used to extract oil in massive factories. Today people pay a massive premium in the West for cold-pressed oils. I don't think I could bring myself to use new oil as fuel, so will just come in a very economical car instead.
Closed Thread