Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th June 2016, 18:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India

While it is perfectly simple to do some diagnostics and figure out the issue at home, the fact that Ford is unable to do the same at an authorized dealership is mind boggling.

I imagine this owner has a fairly busy life as a doctor and it shouldn't come to the point where she's using a multimeter to check the damn battery voltage every morning or trying to work out which electrical outlet isn't turning itself off.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 18:44   #17
BHPian

Default Re: 6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India

Take the car to a battery dealer, he would be able to do a free checkup and pin point the issue (Alternator not charging the battery properly / leaks)
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 19:02   #18
BHPian

Having faced this in my Spark my two cents are here. Check the ground connection which is below the battery towards firewall and is not visible without taking the battery out. In my case it was loose and hence battery was not getting charged.

car starting once everyday is enough for battery to retain its juices.
sparkguy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 19:08   #19
BHPian

Like to know one thing: When the battery was first found to be discharged or "dead" as you may call it, was it replaced or bench-charged?

I say this because a similar issue happened with my friend's new Swift, many moons back.
The battery itself was found to be the culprit as the base of the negative plate was slightly loose and could not "retain" the charge.
Battery was replaced without any question by the battery manufacturer and everything was fine.

Maybe you can take the vehicle to your battery brand's regional service centre, if possible
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 08:27   #20
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions. Let me try and answer your queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any instances of portable devices remaining hot on the charging outlet even after the car was turned off?
I am not sure if she had used the charging point in the first month. We were advised not to leave any device connected after the first incident and I am sure it has not been used afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
It is quite easy to figure out the issue as to why the battery is discharging frequently and ending up dead.
Actually I believe the ford people has been doing all that. Last month they had kept the car with themselves for 19 days for running these tests. They were checking the voltages twice every day and they even had charts showing the readings. Apparently all readings were within normal limits, but the problem happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
While it is perfectly simple to do some diagnostics and figure out the issue at home, the fact that Ford is unable to do the same at an authorized dealership is mind boggling.
I imagine this owner has a fairly busy life as a doctor and it shouldn't come to the point where she's using a multimeter to check the damn battery voltage every morning or trying to work out which electrical outlet isn't turning itself off.
Thank you so much for exactly understanding our situation.
While it is perfectly fine for me to sit with a multimeter and check it out myself, I don't think it will be possible for her. Can you really expect someone who is not confident to handle a manual transmission to do all that
Playing around with things under the hood is not something an average driver/owner would dare to do, especially when she/he has absolutely zero knowledge about what happens underneath it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Like to know one thing: When the battery was first found to be discharged or "dead" as you may call it, was it replaced or bench-charged?
It was recharged. It was replaced later with what they called a "service battery" when the problem went on recurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Maybe you can take the vehicle to your battery brand's regional service centre, if possible
That wouldn't affect the warranty I hope.

Just adding an update:
yesterday she had a conference call with the ford customer care and the dealership. They asked if the car is started every day, if it was driven for 3 kms every day, if it was driven solely by her, and whether she has been using any accessories. They have asked for a little more time.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 13:42   #21
BHPian

Maybe I am wrong here. But I feel that the parking sensor wiring might be to blame. It looks like the system is always armed. Also the battery grounding loose is a valid point. There is a battery diagnostic tester - they used it at each servicing of my Fortuner. Did they do any such test ever for your Figo?
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 16:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

My sympathies with the car owner. She's definitely got better things to do than to figure out what's going on under the hood of her new car!

Frankly I was amused to read this thread. Amused not at the problem but at the inability of Ford's dealer to do a find the fault & set it right. Tracing a parasitic load/drain or an alternator, wiring, or battery fault isn't exactly rocket science. Especially for an ASC unless they have an incompetent bunch of technicians working for them. It'll take them only a few hours to identify the fault

To the OP - It may be worthwhile to get the battery and alternator checked at a nearest Exide or Amaron battery dealer. Most of them will do this free of charge or charge a nominal fee for their effort. As long as they only check the wiring and charging voltage and do not attempt to modify/alter/repair any component the warranty will still hold. Do not mention this to your service centre though.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th June 2016 at 16:44.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 20:00   #23
BHPian

ASC taking 19 days time to run the tests for battery drain and yet no concrete solution! This is ridiculous. Ford India should own up the gaffe and provide a brand new car to the tormented Doctor who has got better things at her hand rather than getting drubbed with this menace. I wonder how much toll it would have taken on her professional and social responsibility.
Though, I am not much into the technical aspects of the error, i still have a suggestion; raise your issue on Twitter to the Commerce minister, finance minister or even to PMO and not to forget the ministry of consumer affairs.

Last edited by MDED : 15th June 2016 at 20:01. Reason: Typo
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Though, I am not much into the technical aspects of the error, i still have a suggestion; raise your issue on Twitter to the Commerce minister, finance minister or even to PMO and not to forget the ministry of consumer affairs.
Raising this issue to the PMO and other Ministries for a car's dead battery?! Are you joking?

This is the sort of response one can expect:

http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/he-asked...s-epic-1418760
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 23:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Raising this issue to the PMO and other Ministries for a car's dead battery?! Are you joking?

This is the sort of response one can expect:

http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/he-asked...s-epic-1418760
They are public servants and should be open to all the issues of general public at large. The response elicited by the learned minister could have been more empathetic. I ain't joking on this aspect. Desperate times, desperate measures!
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 00:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
They are public servants and should be open to all the issues of general public at large. The response elicited by the learned minister could have been more empathetic. I ain't joking on this aspect. Desperate times, desperate measures!
Public servants, like the rest of us, have their own areas of responsibilities and set of priorities. And trust me, a dead car battery is not exactly desperate times or anywhere on the priority list for a set of people who are effectively running the country.

Unless one wants to be trolled on the 'net like that silly fellow who wrote to Ms Swaraj about his refrigerator.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 15:59   #27
BHPian

Hello everyone. Sorry for not being able to update this thread for a long time. Monsoon season & the consequent busy days at hospital and important issues happening in the family kept me away from team bhp for a while.

After the episode of dead battery on 11th of june, the car was diagnosed to have a problem with the alternator. It was changed under warranty and after the usual observation & check up period of a few weeks it was returned to the owner. After a lot of negotiations and discussions, Ford extended the warranty on that car to 5 years as a "goodwill gesture".

Things went well for nearly 2 months. I had almost thought that they have finally solved the issue this time and was thinking of updating this thread with a happy closing note. Then disaster struck again. Last week, on 13th of september, my sis in law drove it to her work place and parked it in the parking lot. When she came back after work, the car was dead again!!! As usual ford RSA came, put in a service battery and started the car. She drove home and parked the car in front of her apartment. Next morning she tried to start the car and it was dead again. unbelievably, the car had drained the service battery just overnight!!!

The dealership was notified again and they promptly came and replaced their service battery with her own old battery which was recharged overnight. Now she is saying she had enough with this car. This is a manufacturing defect which ford is unable to rectify. They should either compensate her or provide her with a new car. We are seriously considering going against Ford India in the consumer court.

Meanwhile, I am thinking of buying her a spare battery and battery charger as a birthday present May be that would be more helpful than Ford's technicians.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 16:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Last week, on 13th of september, my sis in law drove it to her work place and parked it in the parking lot. When she came back after work, the car was dead again!!! As usual ford RSA came, put in a service battery and started the car. She drove home and parked the car in front of her apartment. Next morning she tried to start the car and it was dead again. unbelievably, the car had drained the service battery just overnight!!!

The dealership was notified again and they promptly came and replaced their service battery with her own old battery which was recharged overnight.
I know you and your SIL are not in the mood for diagnosis, and I can sympathize - an unreliable car is annoying, and an unreliable brand new car can fray tempers.

One suggestion, though - on a day when any remedial measure is taken, and you reach home successfully, once you stop the car and lock it up, can you then get back in and try starting it again (simulating what would be done in the morning)?

The reason I ask is - the problem can be one of two things:
  1. The charging system isn't able to charge the battery up to spec
  2. Something is draining the battery down

Occam's razor would state that it is one of these issues causing the problem, but unlikely to be both at the same time.

In this test, if the car starts, then the charging system has been keeping the battery nicely charged up, but something is draining the battery overnight.

If the car doesn't start (or struggles to start), then it means that your battery has held the car up during the return journey and the charging system isn't running the car and charging the battery. The other way of confirming this is to carefully disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when the engine is running - if the car continues to run fine, then the charging system is fine.

The outcome of this test should hopefully direct Ford's investigation better.

A few final questions:
  1. When the alternator was replaced, was the belt inspected and/or replaced? A slipping belt can also cause the alternator to either not run at all, or run too slowly to run a car and charge a battery.
  2. As part of the alternator replacement, were the electricals associated with the charging circuit also checked for continuity? The ground strap, battery harness, etc.

Moving away from technicalities, its probably worthwhile writing to Ford Customer Care to have the area manager for service (I think that's what they're called) who is an actual Ford engineer to get involved and guide the service center. Ask for a face-to-face discussion or a call with him. Alternatively, ask your service advisor to escalate it with him.

I'm pretty confident it'll turn out to be a simple problem at the end, but the dealer's ineptitude is making them look incapable and is annoying customers.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote