Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th July 2016, 16:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Transmission Control Module replaced under warranty at 26,162 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In other words, this dude is wildly exaggerating and we'll have to discount his statement.
I think what he's told me is not from his personal experience (considering ur point) but from what he's got to know thru his sources - in any case, as an Ecosport AT owner with a monthly running of around 10k kms, I hope what he's claimed stands true, at least for me!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 23:19   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Transmission Control Module replaced under warranty at 26,162 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just picked up my EcoSport AT couple of weeks back and this thread worries me.
Congratulations on your new EcoSport AT. Happy Motoring, as Ford says!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I'm having the same transmission in Aspire and it behaves erratically at times.
Could you explain what problem you are having so that I can recall if I had any similar problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on guys, selling a car because of the fear of TCM failure is unwarranted.
Thanks GTO, I've read those articles with interest when they were published.

It's just that once a car part fails prematurely and is replaced at the workshop, it is always in the back of one's mind if it will fail again, and for this reason some of us ponder about selling the car, but probably never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Ford has acknowledged problems with the Ecosport DCT. They are doing recalls in the US, so Ford DCT owners in India should take it up with them here collectively to put pressure on them to do so if needed & also extend warranty further
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Finally, write to Ford CC and ask them to give you a further extension of 2 years or so warranty on the TCM alone, or DCT overall. Since the TCM is a new module (and not just a single piece), if it fails in future even outside the EW for the car, they should cover you with a separate TCM warranty. I've no clue if they will agree to this or not, but in the absence of anything that can be attributed to driver error, then they should step up and cover you.
Would anyone in team-bhp know how to get Ford India to extend the warranty further?

Quote:
Tying in to libranof1987's question - was any further detail provided by the SA (or the diagnostics tool) as to the more detailed cause of the issue> Any error codes? Most likely, they have a pre-defined set of error codes for which the solution is 'swap out the TCM', but if we know which one it might be useful for understanding it.
They did not tell me about any error codes. Should I ask Chennai Ford? Are they bound to tell the customer?

Quote:
Also, what is your driving pattern in Chennai? Mostly bound in traffic? Lots of idling? Or mostly highways?
It is driven exclusively by my wife and me. None of our chauffeurs are allowed to even move it as we want at least one of our cars to be away from some of their not so delicate driving.

We usually drive in traffic free routes in Chennai, believe me there are still some of those in Chennai, and there is no significant idling apart from the routine wait for signal changes.

We do occasionally take it on the highways and have once taken it to Yercaud hill station.

Does the driving pattern in any way influence the longevity of the TCM, and if so, how?

Thanks everyone
Murugan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 07:37   #18
BHPian

Sometimes the car won't move as quick as it moves usually, there is some unusual lethargic behaviour and then gets corrected itself. There are few occasions where on slowly releasing the brake pedal, the car launches forward a bit. There are few electronic glitches unrelated to transmission, like headlight not getting switched off even after turning the healight knob to off position, the rear park lights also had the same issue. All in all not a very pleasant experience, because I had lived with a single car for 14 years and never had to face such issues.
The Rationalist is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 09:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Sometimes the car won't move as quick as it moves usually, there is some unusual lethargic behaviour and then gets corrected itself. All in all not a very pleasant experience, because I had lived with a single car for 14 years and never had to face such issues.
If you're talking of the AT in Aspire I have to agree, I felt a 4-speed torque converter was more seamless and less noisy than the one I test-drove in the Aspire. I had great expectations from the engine being not only a 1.5 litre one (humongous capacity for the car size) but also a 6 speed dual-clutch.

Things quickly changed after the test drive, the car didn't shift gears seamlessly.. it almost felt like it was holding the gears in and the Sport mode made things worse, it only made the engine noisier and no difference to the speed. Typically automatics are purchased for the convenience of city driving and in city driving one needs instant torque, this gearbox and engine combo is one of the poorest calibrated for that requirement. Maybe things will get better when it touches 6th gear in open roads for hours of cruising but I don't get to do that at all.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 16:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Cross-posting for the benefit of similar cases being under the same thread.

Another BHPian got the TCM replaced quietly at 19k kms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4038046 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)
libranof1987 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 22:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Cross-posting for the benefit of similar cases being under the same thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4038046 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)
That's truly a shocker.

Hope these are isolated problems in a minuscule percentage of vehicles, within limits of industry norms, and not early symptoms of a large scale pandemic
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 23:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Hope these are isolated problems in a minuscule percentage of vehicles, within limits of industry norms, and not early symptoms of a large scale pandemic
The owner of that EcoSport (wilful) has since clarified that it was just a firmware update for the TCM, not a replacement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I called the service adviser and put this question to him. He says nothing has been replaced. They've just done the software update. Just that it's been worded wrongly. I hope so.
So congratulations, Murugan, you still hold the unhappy distinction of being the few with a replaced TCM!
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 22:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
So congratulations, Murugan, you still hold the unhappy distinction of being the few with a replaced TCM!
"the few"? Not the first and only one on Team-Bhp!? Boy, Am I disappointed!
Murugan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 13:15   #24

Worrying to read this thread :( How is your DCT holding up? Please do post frequent updates. I am contemplating on buying the GT Tsi or the Ecosport DCT. I am in love with the VW but the horror stories of the DSG are playing games with my mind. Family loves the Ecosport and the improved ground clearance is a boon for tackling bad roads occasionally.

Should get a TD soon and see if the DCT+NA is at least half as good as the Tsi+DSG combo.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 19:46   #25
BHPian

Add me to the list of transmission module failure. Happened 2 days back, and the events were the same as what happened to @murugan (coincidentally mine is also a silver ecosport A/T )

Some details:

- silver July manufactured Ecosport
- ODO: just a shade under 6k kms
- Transmission malfunction was shown on the SYNC screen, and the car wasn't shifting beyond 1st gear.

Full marks to Ford for their support (roadside and dealer)

However, this shouldn't have happened in the first place in a brand new car. Hopefully this is a one off incident. FYI for prospective customers, you should know that Ford is offering just the standard 2 yr warranty (extendable for upto 5 years) instead of the 10 year one offered in the fiesta and probably early ecosports (?? not so sure on this).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:43   #26

Hi BHPians

This thread makes me so confused :(. I am planning to purchase either an Ecosport AT or a Honda WRV [Manual]. My preference is the AT as 70% of the driving I'll be in horrible Bangalore traffic and 30% on the highways. The unreliable DSG has already put the Polo GT in the no-go list.
Can you please suggest?
mainakit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainakit87 View Post
The unreliable DSG has already put the Polo GT in the no-go list.Can you please suggest?
Please note, there are next to no DSG failures reported for the Polo GT/Vento Tsi/Vento Tdi + Dsg. You also have a 4 years of warranty supported by the extended warranty cover. Little to worry.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 16:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Please note, there are next to no DSG failures reported for the Polo GT/Vento Tsi/Vento Tdi + Dsg. You also have a 4 years of warranty supported by the extended warranty cover. Little to worry.
I agree. Off-late I haven't heard about DSG failures. I am a big fan of the technology and having driven an A6 in Germany, wanted to go for the PoloTSI. However, the horrors of poor service/ dealership network and even the practicality [when compared to compact SUVs] is a but worrying.
I am open to suggestions though.
mainakit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 16:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Even I was of the same opinion, till I found this thread here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hs-repair.html (VW Polo GT TSI: DSG problem, quoted 1.17 lakhs for repair!)

I agree that the extended warranty helps, but what about the vast majority of buyers who keep their cars for much longer periods (say 8-10 years).
The LONG term reliability record of DSG is still un-proven, dare I say.

P.S. I own a VW myself.
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 21:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainakit87 View Post
However, the horrors of poor service/ dealership network and even the practicality is a but worrying. I am open to suggestions though.
VW and Ford are just about okay when it comes to after sales service.

The Ecosport is not an SUV in any sense of it. It is a jacked up hatch.

If you want to play it safe, get a Jazz AT. You can be sure that 10 years down the line that the car will still be running and Honda will fix your AT box if something does break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Even I was of the same opinion, till I found this thread here.
Like I said, there aren't many reports of a dsg falling apart on VW's smaller cars. Long term reliability does remain a big question mark, however, few have held themselves back from picking up a GT TSI.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote