Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th July 2016, 21:06   #16
Default Re: Fake spare parts - Duped at the Palika Bhawan market, New Delhi

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Can you be 100% sure that the clutch you bought was the one that was put into the car ? Maybe the mechanic switched it ?
I am 100% sure. I was there all of the time. The part was purchased, carried to the repair bay and replaced in my presence.
nvldvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 23:20   #17

Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Now the question that's going through my mind is if complicated parts like clutch plates can be counterfeited so beautifully, how on earth could one make out if the engine oils / coolants and the like are not spurious? And if sale of such spurious parts can go on so blatantly in a "GOOD SHOP " of one of the better car markets in Delhi, heaven only knows what other spare dealers stock and sell.
Unless you don't have a trusted spares shop, it is best to rely on your FNG on source whatever parts that are needed. The idea is that if they are doing everything themselves, they will stand by their work. You can always coax a basic 15 days 'warranty' out of them for whatever work you get done. In fact, this is pretty much an unwritten rule. Yes, parts fail sometimes. Yes, the workmanship might not be perfect every single time. But I have never faced an instance of the FNG not sorting out the repeat issue immediately to my satisfaction.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 17:05   #18

I have mix bag experience form FNGs. What I learned, to trust on FNGs, you have to have some kind of rapport with them. May be you know the owner or someone introduce you to them or you are using their service for long. They don't have huge business and they certainly don't want a trusted customer run away.

On the other hand, one fine day I just show up at a garage and do some stuff, either he tries to get more profit out of me or may cheat, cause he simply does not know if I would ever comeback.

If you are new to a city or you have no idea on those FNGs, better stick to authorized one. In fact good relationship can be grown with few of the service advisers over the time to get some good job done.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 14:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just to share my experience in 20 years ++ in driving now.. Build a rapport with the local FNGs.. These guys DO know the secrets of trade. Start with a minimal job and let it progress to a level of confidence.

As for the A$$, Raunaq motors (Authorised TATA).. a unit of Goldy Car Scanners, Punjabi Bagh (A VERY reputed shop) was severed off being the TA$S because they were using counterfeit TATA products and were billing them as genuine. Same goes with Autolinks.. (another Ta$s) and Vishkarma Motors (another TAs$ since 195Xs)..

I was a regular customer in each one of these in my 18 years of TATA ownership..Trust me, they're there to ROB us. Am experiencing same problem with couple of Honda dealers as of now..Courtsey Honda being one of them..
panky12345 is online now   Reply With Quote