Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th July 2016, 03:42   #1

Talking Troubleshooting a fast blinking indicator

So I figured out something that might be of use to all of you and perhaps save a few hundreds or a thousand depending on how big a crook you go to.

For the last many days, I noticed that my left indicator arrow used to flash really fast. I simply ignored it thinking it will fix itself. I am sort of the kind who doesn't give so much attention to vehicles. I ignore minor issues so long as it doesn't bother me. Particularly because I hate spending time outside in Delhi's weather and standing in the parking area and inspecting dusty vehicle components is not my thing.

On one of the days, I ended up leaving the parking lights on and when I returned back, I noticed that only the right indicators were flashing. That was when I looked up the internet on what to do when the left indicator bulbs were not working. So the bulb on the left side just ahead of the passenger door as well as the rear bulbs were not functional. This is a tricky situation. I was told that any one of the bulbs when fused out would cause all indicators to stop working because it forms a circuit of some sort.

One big problem we face in India is this that the service centres are too busy and for minor issues we want to approach a local mechanic. However, these fellows stock Chinese parts and they (as well as the service centres) are only interested in selling away their inventory. So even if a thing requires just a screw tightening or rewiring, they tell you that the component needs replacing. Now these factors force us to learn a bit about electrical and mechanical self-repairing. I was pretty certain that if I approached a mechanic, he wouldn't let me go without making me spend at least a thousand rupees for replacing a bulb that he might have bought for a few tenners.

Then I looked up everywhere about how to change the side bulbs of Maruti vehicles. That tiny plastic case doesn't have any screws and I didn't want to try and pry out the cover for fear of damaging something. There were some instruction videos on how to undo it from inside the bonnet. I checked inside and found that there were some plastic casings to protect the electrical components from rain damage. I tried to check if anything was reachable from below...no luck. I then took the risk of trying to open the lamp cover with a screw driver. There are two little gaps on top, use the screw driver to pry it and release it from the case. Then the bulb was so tiny. I tried removing it like the usual spring type bulbs which need you to press down and rotate. But that didn't work. I tried pulling it out and voila, it came out. It was like those tiny LED decorative lighting with two metal terminals that sticks into the gap given for putting the bulb in. I inspected the filament and found it intact. I placed it back and tried the left indicator lever and it began flashing!. But then the tail indicator didn't work. So again I thought I will give it a shot and noticed that when the luggage door is opened, there is a phillip screw to attached to the tail light system. Unscrewing that one easily detached the whole tail light case. The indicator holder needs to be turned left and pulled out from behind and the bulb was a bit bigger but needed to just be shaken a bit and pulled out. I reattached that again. Before reattaching the assembly, I tried the left indicator and all the bulbs functioned perfectly.

Wish I had taken pictures to show you all but like I said, all this effort at 7pm made me so drenched in sweat that I didn't want to go back up, get my camera and click pictures of it.
cryshnon is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 23:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Troubleshooting a fast blinking indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
For the last many days, I noticed that my left indicator arrow used to flash really fast.
That phenomenon of Fast blinking of the Indicators is called - Hyper Flashing.

See this video of my Swift where I had encountered this when I tried replacing the OEM bulbs to LED's.

What is Hyper Flashing?!

It is the situation when the turn blinks at a faster rate than normal. This happens when one of the 3 bulbs (Front, Side and Rear) are fused or if a incandescent bulbs is replaced by LED's, the circuit/relay thinks either of the bulbs are fused hence hyper flashes. Solution is to replace the bulb in case of incandescent type and if one is using LED's, a resistor in series needs to be connected.

Quote:
Then the bulb was so tiny. It was like those tiny LED decorative lighting with two metal terminals that sticks into the gap given.
It is a T10/W5W type bulb that is used in side indicators or parking lamp or number plates lights in most of the cars.

Name:  61pGat2aLL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  35.1 KB

Quote:
I reattached that again. Before reattaching the assembly, I tried the left indicator and all the bulbs functioned perfectly.
Could be loose contact between the bulb base and terminals.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th July 2016 at 23:48.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote