Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Which is the SAFEST seat in a car?
Front Left Passenger Seat (A) 57 37.25%
Rear Left Passenger Seat (B) 83 54.25%
Other 13 8.50%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th July 2016, 11:46   #31
Default Re: Which is the SAFEST seat in a car - front or rear?

Well. a couple of points here:

1. In my opinion, if its a hatchback - front passenger seat is better and in case of Sedan, rear seat is better.
2. Reason for above being that in case of hatch, you dont have enough protection from behind.
3. Airbags may not open always, so if we just have to go by probabilities, i would rely on vehicle's structural strength
4. Regarding driver's behavioral point - that he will try to save himself first. I don't particularly deny that point, but its dificult to say which seat will be safer because of that. Assuming that he can see an accident happening and will try to save himself, in that case its difficult to judge the probability of him banging the left passenger side first or seat behind him (it will actually depend upon the direction of collision)

So, i go for passenger seat for hatch back and rear seat for sedan. (Assuming all are using the 3 point seat belt)
akochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 12:23   #32
Default Re: Which is the SAFEST seat in a car?

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To me, the safest seat is the driver's seat . There's no one else whose driving I trust more than my own!

The driver's seat is the safest seat and I agree with GTO. Out of these 2 choices, I feel both have their own pros and cons. In case of a sedan, a rear passenger on seat behind passenger seat, properly belted up may have better safety preposition in either a front crash or rear ending but same can't be said in case of a hatchback. Similarly, if in event of an overlap crash while overtaking from left which we see quite often on our highways, the front passenger will bear the brunt if driver tries to save himself.

If someone is not belted up on either of the seats, none of the seats is safe.

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

For a child seat ,I would recommend the rear middle seat , away from all the airbags.
Could be wrong but this is my opinion.
I beg to differ. The other day, I was reading the manual of Brezza and saw this. The middle seat is not recommended in any case for a child seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the SAFEST seat in a car - front or rear?-screenshot_20160730121212.png  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th July 2016 at 12:25.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 15:09   #33
Default Re: Which is the SAFEST seat in a car - front or rear?

Voted for front passenger seat. Most of the reasons have already been mentioned but couple of the ones for me are company to the driver to prevent dozing and presence of airbags (in our "regular" cars). Regardless to say, the assumption is that regardless of the seat, you would be buckled up!

Here is an article that I came across which searching for this topic: LINK
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote