Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2006, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Correct way to drive/use AT

Nowadays we are seeing more AT cars (including Civic). I was wondering how best to drive/use AT (I drove a relative's AT Corolla for a few days). The manual is not very clear on engine start/shut-off procedure or certain driving situations. Can you guys in the know help me with the following:

1. When starting the car, if it is in P and handbrake is pulled up, is it necessary to still press the brake (as recommended) when turning the ignition key to start?

2. When switching off the engine, is it necessary to pull the handbrake, shift to P and then switch off or keep it in N, handbrake pull/brake pedal press, switch off and then push it to P before removing the key.

3. Does the handbrake and pressing of the pedal brake have the same effect, i.e. send the same info to the ECM?

4. Is it advisable to shift it to N at signals/stops of short intervals or leave it in D with the handbrake pulled/brake pedal pressed.

Any other tips / hints?
Old 5th October 2006, 20:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. When starting the car, if it is in P and handbrake is pulled up, is it necessary to still press the brake (as recommended) when turning the ignition key to start?
No, as when P is selected, the torque convertor is locked

Quote:
2. When switching off the engine, is it necessary to pull the handbrake, shift to P and then switch off or keep it in N, handbrake pull/brake pedal press, switch off and then push it to P before removing the key.

The former is better as the ECU can be active and send relevant "backroom instructions"

Quote:
3. Does the handbrake and pressing of the pedal brake have the same effect, i.e. send the same info to the ECM?
Handbrake = car stopped for some time, normally applied when car has come to a rest
Pedal brake = car stopped anytime frm speed - brake inputs have a bearing on fuel feed, transmission shofting etc.

Quote:
4. Is it advisable to shift it to N at signals/stops of short intervals or leave it in D with the handbrake pulled/brake pedal pressed.
Since there is a lot of lag time in shifting from N to D, best to keep it in D + brake. If it is a long time - more than three min, switch to N or P to avoid transmission overheating
Old 6th October 2006, 00:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

when I drive my A/T, if I know the signal is more than 45secs, then I throw it into neutral and pull the handbrake......because otherwise my leg will hurt.

Like Ajmat mentioned, ATF overheating is something you need to keep an eye on.
Old 6th October 2006, 10:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajmat/Mpower. So as from my manual habit, I think I would continue to use N and handbrake at signals/stops of short intervals. This will certainly avoid overheating of the AT oil.
Old 6th October 2006, 10:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep

I always put the car into neutral and pull the handbrake for any signals I stop at . Apart from avoiding overheating, keeping the car in D at signals with the brake pedal pressed also affects your brake life because the car tends to creep forward.

Hope this helps
Old 6th October 2006, 10:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

In AT cars any one use the left leg for applying brakes or is it same as right leg for both accelerator and brake
Old 6th October 2006, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

The correct way is to only use the right leg for both braking and accelarating
Old 6th October 2006, 12:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldnt make a difference, as long as one is able to do the same functions with both legs than with one .. But as much as I have tried, my left leg braking isnt good enough [either too much, or too little].
Old 6th October 2006, 13:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

I believe in race cars you do only left leg braking...?
Old 6th October 2006, 19:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I like to do left foot brake every once in a while so that I can train my left foot ........comes in handy when you are karting.

Most cars have a huge dead pedal/footrest for the left foot.
Old 6th October 2006, 21:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Today my father in law told me that he uses his left leg for braking while driving a automatic. He added that first few times you brake hard because as we are used to press clutch to the full. But conscious regular usage will help to overcome that issue. Hence wanted to check is there anyone else in this forum who uses left leg for braking
Old 7th October 2006, 02:30   #12
BHPian

if youve been driving Manual its always best to use only the Right Foot to do the accel / braking as u will get accustomed faster.

also i make it a point at signals to keep the Car in D with either handbrake or brake depressed as otherwise being so used to Manual at signals if u have shifted to Park and then want to cruise u MAY shift to R thinking it to be 1st and feel quite stupid. happened to me quite often.
Old 8th October 2006, 01:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108

Any other tips / hints?
Hi Sandeep108,

1. Some cars REQUIRE you to press the FOOTbrake when starting. They will not start otherwise. Either way, its always good practice. (esp in MT cars)

2. It is best to be in P when switching off.

3. 99% no.

4. Answer

Most of what you are asking has been discussed before, please check these threads and continue the discussion there -

Tips on Driving an Automatic Transmission

Shifting to Neutral - Is this right?

Thread closed.
cya
R
Closed Thread