Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th March 2017, 02:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Guys. I have this strange problem. Once in few days, Car refuses to start on 1-2 tries though starter kicks in. Next try the car starts but it takes time to hold on to the revs, hovers at 600-700rpm for couple of seconds and then it becomes normal. I'm suspecting faulty ignition coil or leads since spark plugs and battery looks good. As always Ford guys say it can be diagnosed only when it happens S everytime and this thing is entirely random.
Has happened to my Fiesta 1.6L P. It was caused due to a faulty O2 sensor.

It used to occur during cold starts. As the problem frequency increases, it was noticable even during the drive. There'll be flat spots in the RPM range.

Ask the service centre to check for fault codes. O2 sensor failure with return a error code.
kiku007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 03:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Things to do to an older engine to restore performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Guys. I have this strange problem. Once in few days, Car refuses to start on 1-2 tries though starter kicks in. Next try the car starts but it takes time to hold on to the revs, hovers at 600-700rpm for couple of seconds and then it becomes normal. I'm suspecting faulty ignition coil or leads since spark plugs and battery looks good. As always Ford guys say it can be diagnosed only when it happens S everytime and this thing is entirely random.
Could be different things, best to hook it up to a manufacturer specific OBD analyser. It could be the fuel system that looses some of itís pressure when the car sits still. Something like a check valve not working properly. Engines not starting immediately, only after a few tries and a few seconds of poor idling are symptoms.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote