Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2016, 19:34   #1
BHPian

Default Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning

I have a 2011 Vento petrol automatic. All of a sudden I've started having this problem: As I start driving, the speedo needle starts flicking up and down. When this happens, the auto transmission also goes haywire and does not shift up with increasing rpm. After some time, the ABS fault comes on. From this point onwards, the speedo behaves normally as also the auto transmission. Tried scanning with Torque Pro, but no fault codes are latched. Can someone throw some light into this?

Thanks
Hari
jethari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning

From the top of my head I think it could be a problem with either the vehicle speed sensor in the gearbox or wheel speed sensors of the ABS unit.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 08:51   #3
BHPian

From what I have managed to glean from the net, it is safe to drive with the ABS fault light on. Normal power assisted braking is available, only the skid protection is not available. However, it is not recommended to continue with this condition for long.

An update, today when I turned on the ignition, the speedo needle started flicking up and down (with the engine off), ABS light went off after the self test. Started the car and moved off, the speedo kept flicking up and down intermittently. After a few minutes, the ABS light was triggered. After this, the speedo needle settled down to normal indication, full braking was available. I'm still trying to figure out if the vehicle speed sensing system and the ABS are somehow interconnected.

Hari
Old 25th August 2016, 09:07   #4
BHPian

The main component that is common between the odometer and ABS is the wheel speed sensor. Since both ABS and speedometer are showing problems, your first point of check should be the wheel speed sensor. First send your car for a thorough wheel wash (light pressure wash and dry), because mud is known to create issues for the wheel speed sensor.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th August 2016 at 09:13.
jinojohnt is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 09:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
The main component that is common between the odometer and ABS is the wheel speed sensor. Since both ABS and speedometer are showing problems, your first point of check should be the wheel speed sensor. First give your car for a thorough wheel wash (pressure wash), because mud is known to create issues for the wheel speed sensor.
Thanks for the tip jino. It is the monsoon season in Mumbai and we have had plenty of rain this year with the related puddles and slush. I will straightaway give the underside a pressure wash and see what happens.

Hari
Old 25th August 2016, 11:02   #6
BHPian

If it is the wheel speed sensor, which probably it is, you can thank your stars that the thing is not astronomically priced. The hitch however is that each wheel has one and they are known to perish in 4-5 years of use, especially of those cars used frequently in slushy conditions.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 11:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If the ABS light is on it could be the wheel speed sensor. Replaced that in my friends manual vento's rear wheel for 4K. Cleaning didnt work.

Also get a vcds scan done before you do anything, many codes will not be picked up by a generic OBD scanner and app. If you dont have access to vcds get the scan done by dealer and be there so that you can check yourself all the error codes present.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 20:23   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning

Update: did a scan with VCDS and it shows up right front wheel speed sensor. Will be taking it in for replacement. One other thing I discovered, Torque Pro only reads engine and transmission codes. It does not access the other controllers (I was trying to look for fault codes using Torque Pro earlier).

Hari
jethari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 10:17   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Vento Automatic: Speedometer error + ABS warning

Update 2: Replaced the right front speed sensor. Been driving for almost a week now, no faults. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Hari
jethari is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote