Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th October 2006, 10:47   #1
BHPian

Post Braking good only in the mornings?

Well I have a strange problem with my Brakes on my Alto. Early in the morning when I start of to office, the brakes function very effectively. Over a period of time along the drive to office it doesn't seem to be so effective.

Engine breaking / Gear cutting seems to be more effective than the normal braking during the course of drive in the evenings.

1. Is it the same with all cars or is there a problem with my brakes?

2. Is Engine breaking a good practice?

3. Is it that my break fluid is low?

Help/Advice required!
dsinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 10:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinz
3. Is it that my break fluid is low?
No offence mate, but how would WE know if your brake fluid is low? Did you check under the bonnet before you hit the keyboard?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No offence mate, but how would WE know if your brake fluid is low? Did you check under the bonnet before you hit the keyboard?
Well, I did not check the fluid level. It just came up as I was writing the post. The car came from first service last week and I presume all the oils and fluid level should be up to the mark.
dsinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 10:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Steer, we did start discussing this behaviour earlier, but didnt seem to go far. I notice this on my Sumo too, as did Humyum on his car [post 5 in the thread below].

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...afternoon.html (Esteem steering getting very hard in the afternoon)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Arre yaar! The phroblem is so simble to understand! All you people are phools! Let me yexplain in detail:

They say that a car is an extension of its owner right? Hence it is an extension of you.

Now, when you get up in the morning you are phully phresh! You can do work better and more efficiently. But as evening comes you get tired, and you work less effectively.

So considering my logic (that a car is an extension of its owner), when you start your car in the morning it is also phully phresh! So it works more efficiently! But when evening comes, it also gets vary vary tired, so it works less efficiently... hence poorer braking in the evenings!

SOLUTION TO THE PHROBLEM: You would notice that when you tired, if you drink coke or naryal pani you feel rejuvenated and rephreshed! So as your car is an extension of you, if you feed it also coke or naryal pani, it will also pheel rephreshed and rejuvenated and will work more better (or as your phroblem goes, its brakes will work more efficiently)!

SIMBLE SOLUTION FOR SIMBLE PROBLEM!

Godspeed,

Alok
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 12:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Your brakes are getting heated. Get the pads checked. This is technically called brake fade aftre use. this is due to either pad heating up, which happens only if you are racing or using brakes on downhill stretches.
so the cause could be formation of air bubbles in your brake fluid. If this is the case you need to fully bleed the system and replace brake fluid, as it may have gone bad.
Most service centers forget to check brake fluid and radiator fluid.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2006 at 22:30.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 13:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

as tsk1979 said just replace your brake pads and see the change. it must have solved your problem. i think there are two type of pads, one is harder than other making it last long but sqeeks with time. needs to be removed occasionally and sanded .
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
as tsk1979 said just replace your brake pads and see the change.
Do you suggest to change the brake pads on brand new car?. he was telling that the car came from first service.

IMO this is common in cars and bikes. You may observe this especially in winter. Initially in the morning when it is cold, the brakes works effectively. After some time they get heated hence brakes will not work that much effectively.
narasimha raju is offline   Reply With Quote